WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my sons Tag Formula 1 into a local watch shop at a strip mall. They estimated it would cost $150 to order the crown and stem tube to fix the watch. It seems excessive to me but I don't have much experience getting watches fixed. Am I getting screwed? Thanks in advance for your experienced replies. Gil

·
Registered
216 Posts
i don't know if this helps, but i just shipped off my blancpain to get a complete service...disassemble/clean/polish/relubericate/reassemble/water pressure test...price $670 without replacing any parts. i think your son's watch has a screw in crown which would necessitate a different stem tube from a push/pull crown for example and would probably justify the higher price for parts and labor. to me it seems reasonable but take that for what it's worth...2cents.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Take it to a proper watchmaker!!

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I would not have anything of value repaired at a local strip mall... I *might* trust them with a battery change on an affordable, but beyond that, to the watchmaker it goes...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Very reasonable. Odds are they will be sending your watch away to a watch maker to fix. The people who work at these stands usually deal only with quartz. But their head office has watch makers.

·
Premium Member
61,485 Posts
The price doesn't seem too bad but was the quote for TAG parts or generic ones. Many moons ago a watchmaker put a generic crown on my Tissot and it looked a real horse's bottom. Either way I would get a quote off a genuine watchmaker.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Be careful who you let service your watch, but as far as price, looking at Tag's service cost price list it seems pretty reasonable.
How is it reasonable that a repair of one broken part should be only a little less than a full service from the manufacturer?

*edit* To be clear, my point is just that it's not an especially useful comparison to put general service costs against a specific repair/replacement. But, *if* Tag service includes these parts replacements (which it actually might, since it's common during servicing), then I'd definitely pay the little bit extra and go straight to Tag for a full service.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Pretty reasonably priced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,036 Posts
It's a reasonable price however what do you know about the shop's reputation. Is it a jewelry store or a real watch repair shop.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
I would not have anything of value repaired at a local strip mall... I *might* trust them with a battery change on an affordable, but beyond that, to the watchmaker it goes...
^^This.

Learned the same lesson the hard way many moons ago.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I took my sons Tag Formula 1 into a local watch shop at a strip mall. They estimated it would cost $150 to order the crown and stem tube to fix the watch. It seems excessive to me but I don't have much experience getting watches fixed. Am I getting screwed? Thanks in advance for your experienced replies. Gil
I have a four year old tag f1 and the crown wouldn't screw down tag said it would cost I think 350 and they changed the dial and crown and crystal and sent all the pieces back to me. Very nice. It's better to pay little more for piece of mind, and I can also sell dial + crown + crystal on the bay to recoup so,e of the costs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts