WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if there are screwed balance wheels available for an ETA Unitas 6497 or 6498? I am starting a project and really prefer the look. I checked Borel and Frei and did not see them, any other thoughts?
Thanks,
Josh

·
Sponsor
471 Posts
screwed balance wheels are made by SOPROD or other swiss factorys. But they don´t sell them seperatly and not to private buyers. They accept only orders of minimum 100 pieces (complete movements with screw balance) and have a waiting period of some months or years... if they accept your order.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it sounds like there no supplier for just the balance wheel. Is it possible to find an older pocket watch movement with the same 18000 bph and use that wheel? I would assume that the staff would need to be swapped as the length would most likely be different, but is that even a possibility? I plan on being very ambitious on this project, almost to the point of certain failure so if there is even a slight possibility I am up for the challenge.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Sponsor
471 Posts
I don´t think that you will find any "older" movement with a screw balance... if so... it would be very expensive.

You can swap the balance if it is from a ETA Unitas 6497/98 movement... but the older movement´s are little bit different. They have a different pallet bridge and shock proof. They will not fit 1:1 in a newer ETA movement.

The only way is to purchase a complete highly decorated ETA Unitas movement with with screw balance. But this movements are very rare and the prices rised up in the last months...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's unfortunate, but thank you for the replies. I really like the look of those two movements with the black finish. Very nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts