WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
About to buy one of these but I read that the screws are just for show? Don't want it if that's the case. I'm thinking I could maybe glue the screws down or cover them up somehow.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Most 'bezel' screws are just for show - they are actually popped in from the back of the bezel. There have been numerous threads discussing the issue of the 'rivets' (they are not really screws) falling out. The reality is that there have been infantesimally small number of events acually recorded of this happening, then the urban myth started building up into hypersapce as a major issue - which it certainly isn't!

Just do a forum search on the GW7900b - it's a fabulous watch, and certainly don't be put off buying one because of something that almost certainly won't happen, and also which you can take preventative steps should you be losing sleep over it...

Reactions: Feisar

·
7,462 Posts
7900B-1 is an excellent watch with great form and function. I particularly appreciate the comfort the wrist guards offer on it, I use it primarily as my beater when I am doing work around the house. You really can't go wrong.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's not that they probably will never pop out. I just don't like styling like that. The watches I have or that I want so far have no fake screws or styling as crude and pointless as this.

No matter, plenty more to choose from. I like a lot of others G shocks.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
that I want so far have no fake screws or styling as crude and pointless as this.
Well, if you personally don't like the styling, no amount of explaining how robust they are will persuade you!! You are right to move on to another model... Oh, I'd stay away from the GWF1000 series too, those pesky fake crude screws again :-d

Reactions: 40swords and JonL

·
Registered
922 Posts
They fell out because people were more than likely tugging and goofing around with it.

who tugs and goofs with a watch just to get things to break? they fall out because it's a design flaw. there is not a large percentage of failures, but definately an "issue." enough for someone to not buy one? probably not. It's a cool watch, I just happen to be very unlucky with them. (kinda like why I'll never buy a chevy again)

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
who tugs and goofs with a watch just to get things to break? they fall out because it's a design flaw. there is not a large percentage of failures, but definately an "issue." enough for someone to not buy one? probably not. It's a cool watch, I just happen to be very unlucky with them. (kinda like why I'll never buy a chevy again)
There are five documented cases of missing rivets. A couple of those look like the watches were run over by an APC.

What percentage do you estimate five watches represents?

Seriously, this is far from being an "issue" with the GW-7900.

HTH

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
You've hit the nail on the head! We all know you've had a bad experience with this watch with the rivets popping out. Absolutely no amount of uptalking of this model will ever persuade you otherwise that it's a crap design. Similarly, my personal experience of this watch is heavenly, so I won't hear a bad word against it!

It's the car analogy that struck me. I would never buy a Peugeot again because of a bad experience I had with a particular car. I know it's irrational - I was just very unlucky, there are millions of very happy Peugeot owners out there who would argue till the cows come home how wonderful their cars are! I do apprecaite your negativity on this watch, but similarly, you'll never persuade me it's bad :)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I agree with Stephen, the 7900, particularly the GW, is an excellent, all around watch. In my opinion, its form is simple but extremely well thought out and designed, its atomic, comes in a variety of colors, its comfortable, customizable and its just the right size - not too big or small. I think the "rivets" add much to the design as well, I prefer the plastic rivets, but I also have the metal ones should the spirit move me.
If you don't like the design, then nobody can fault you for your feelings, but I would advise not to let the fact that the "rivets" dont actually screw in, dissuade you from an excellent watch.

·
Registered
922 Posts
There are five documented cases of missing rivets. A couple of those look like the watches were run over by an APC.

What percentage do you estimate five watches represents?

Seriously, this is far from being an "issue" with the GW-7900.

HTH
Nobody notices all the planes that land successfully at LAX, but they do notice the ones that crash. And if the few that do crash all have something in common, I would call that an issue. as would the FAA. As should Casio.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I share the same sentiments as James.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Nobody notices all the planes that land successfully at LAX, but they do notice the ones that crash. And if the few that do crash all have something in common, I would call that an issue. as would the FAA.
What an odd sentiment? Over the years, plenty of 747s have met their unfortunate demise, yet the sky is still full of them...

Reactions: Ol'DaidEye

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
About to buy one of these but I read that the screws are just for show? Don't want it if that's the case. I'm thinking I could maybe glue the screws down or cover them up somehow.
The rivets do serve a purpose other than style. Casio calls them the 4 point design protection. They're along the same lines as the bullbars that are on some G-Shocks. The rivets are raised up off the watch so they will most likely come into contact with whatever you're bumping into before the bezel or crystal.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Interesting. Quite cool actually. By explaining this to some girls I would be sure to get my jam roll.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
1 - 20 of 61 Posts