WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was working today and I didn't notice it until on my way home but I scuffed the strap on my GW7900B-1, I don't think it's something that I can fix besides replacing the strap, what do you guys think? :-s Pictures posted below:

And yeah, I know it adds "character" but I just bought this watch :-d

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
Umm, its a G SHOCK... in 3 days you wont even notice it.

No way I know of to fix it.. Oh, and yeah, it adds character.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Umm, its a G SHOCK... in 3 days you wont even notice it.

No way I know of to fix it.. Oh, and yeah, it adds character.
Touche good sir, however I am a perfectionist. I love everything to be in pristine condition. I may just have to buy a spare band for it if I want to make it look pretty in the event of ever re-selling it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Touche good sir, however I am a perfectionist. I love everything to be in pristine condition. I may just have to buy a spare band for it if I want to make it look pretty in the event of ever re-selling it.
I would try rubbing it with an eraser from a pencil. I have alot of luck removing most scuffs using this method. If it was me I would never replace the strap for such a minor blemish. The cheapest place for a replacement strap is thru casio parts USA but it not a cheap strap. I am pretty sure it cost $19.50 without shipping. The price on ebay for the strap is even more expensive.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Using an eraser sounds like good advice - or maybe some very fine sandpaper?

regards, Sedi :)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would try rubbing it with an eraser from a pencil. I have alot of luck removing most scuffs using this method. If it was me I would never replace the strap for such a minor blemish. The cheapest place for a replacement strap is thru casio parts USA but it not a cheap strap. I am pretty sure it cost $19.50 without shipping. The price on ebay for the strap is even more expensive.
I tried a white eraser to no avail, are you referring to pink erasers or would it even matter?

Edit: The eraser did seem to make the scuff less "shiny" and noticeable, but it's still there. It did help a little though :)

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Proably the ones that can be used to erase ink. In germany they're blue (guess every country has it's own color for them ;-)).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Proably the ones that can be used to erase ink. In germany they're blue (guess every country has it's own color for them ;-)).

Oh, I see. They're white here, but it's not the one I used on my watch, The ink erasers are harder and made from a different material. I'll have to get one and try it :)

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Wow. you're really thinking about a new strap because of that one little scuff??? The first blemish is always the hardest, but really??? Lucky it's the strap and not the crystal. And wait til you bang the bezel up a little. The 7900 is a big watch, so it's guaranteed to happen. Try some rubbing alcohol. If it doesn't work and still bothers you, try drinking alcohol. Drink enough until the scuff is no longer noticable. if it's STILL bothering you, scuff up the rest of the strap so it looks like it was produced that way. I see denim companies do this all the time with jeans, so why not a watch?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

Yes, if the pink pencil eraser does not work right you may need an eraser that is a little more abrasive such as an ink eraser or as Sedi mentioned some very fine sand paper.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. you're really thinking about a new strap because of that one little scuff??? The first blemish is always the hardest, but really??? Lucky it's the strap and not the crystal. And wait til you bang the bezel up a little. The 7900 is a big watch, so it's guaranteed to happen. Try some rubbing alcohol. If it doesn't work and still bothers you, try drinking alcohol. Drink enough until the scuff is no longer noticable. if it's STILL bothering you, scuff up the rest of the strap so it looks like it was produced that way. I see denim companies do this all the time with jeans, so why not a watch?
Hahaha, I'm not that obsessive about it, I'm just thinking about resale value :) I previously had a G7900-1 and never got a mark on it :-d I baby my watches. The good thing about this mark is that it's literally at the bottom of my wrist so I never see it.

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
Hahaha, I'm not that obsessive about it, I'm just thinking about resale value :) I previously had a G7900-1 and never got a mark on it :-d I baby my watches. The good thing about this mark is that it's literally at the bottom of my wrist so I never see it.
I don't think a G-Shock should be babied at all. If you are really that concerned about resale value, I say never wear your G-Shock, leave it on a drawer and maybe put it on the window sill every once in a while. This way you can put "MINT" and "TZ 99%" on your WTS ads in the future. I can understand if it is a collab or limited edition (although I would still wear them if I have one) but not with the standard editions.
But that is just one (mildly sarcastic) opinion... ;-)

Reactions: Jeff_C

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
If it doesn't work and still bothers you, try drinking alcohol. Drink enough until the scuff is no longer noticable

I, too, find it an excellent emollient for many of life's imperfections :-!.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Just start telling a cool story about how you saved an elderly couple and their 3 grandchildren from a burning house and all you got on your G was this little scuff! Now it has character! :-!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I go around in slobby casual gear mostly 100% of the time. But if there was to be a mark on my watch I wouldn't be able to cope. I think it is an as yet unrecognised form of mental illness.

Just my observation, but here is a new money spinning trick by the camera and phone manufacturers: make 'tough' models that are shockproof/waterproof/freezeproof etc....but coat them in beautiful paints and other fine finishes. Inspect them before packing wearing white gloves laundered daily. Rework if there is the slightest mark.

Then when you get to use your tough gizmo, if it shows the slightest scuff it makes you feel bad so eventually you succumb to the next model.

Really! What's with 'tough' gear finished like the finest of luxury items? Am I missing something here?

Just MHO feel free to contradict etc I won't be offended!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts