WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A member on another forum just spotted this dial change, and I thought I would pass it on. New 18 mods are now popping up w/ a changed MK2 dial. Now with the coronet at 6.

Not as dramatic as losing the red text I know, but I think this is definitely a wink from Rolex on a true limited one year MK1 run. To some this will probably not seem like that big of a deal, but to hard core collectors the 17 run just got a lot more special.

We all know Rolex Likes to be subtle when it comes to changes, and I know that the coronet is to mark new movements; However, I do not believe this is happenstance, since the 17 movement is the same as 18, and Rolex rarely makes mistakes.

So there you have it. A true one year MK1 anniversary SD50.
Congrats to those who snagged one of these gems early on. They were already a pretty special watch, now even more so.

2017 MK1 SD50 batch

2018 MK2 SD43

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I thought all the Rolex models after a certain year will have the coronet.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Reactions: UofRSpider

·
Registered
191 Posts
A member on another forum just spotted this dial change, and I thought I would pass it on. New 18 mods are now popping up w/ a changed MK2 dial. Now with the coronet at 6.

Not as dramatic as losing the red text I know, but I think this is definitely a wink from Rolex on a true limited one year MK1 run. To some this will probably not seem like that big of a deal, but to hard core collectors the 17 run just got a lot more special.

We all know Rolex Likes to be subtle when it comes to changes, and I know that the coronet is to mark new movements; However, I do not believe this is happenstance, since the 17 movement is the same as 18, and Rolex rarely makes mistakes.

So there you have it. A true one year MK1 anniversary SD50.
Congrats to those who snagged one of these gems early on. They were already a pretty special watch, now even more so.
1. why are you calling it SD50? regardless of the changes, the model is called SD43 because of it's size not because of it's anniversary...
2. all 2018 Rolex have the coronet at 6
3. the SD4K will probably be a better collector since it's the last model that actually looked like the '67 original. not bloated, no cyclops, thin lugs (unlike the sub)

·
Registered
824 Posts
1. why are you calling it SD50? regardless of the changes, the model is called SD43 because of it's size not because of it's anniversary...
3. the SD4K will probably be a better collector since it's the last model that actually looked like the '67 original. not bloated, no cyclops, thin lugs (unlike the sub)
The model is still called Sea Dweller, or SD4K.
SD43 and SD50 are both as wrong as each other - but it's not important.

The new coronet looks silly imo - now there's 3 on the dial if you include the rehaut. What a mess, and I'm glad I got mine last year.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought all the Rolex models after a certain year will have the coronet.

You are correct but a dial change to this model will definitely raise its collectibility due to the nature of its predecessor, which also went one year before a dial change. Small detail as I stated before, but like I said to collectors this will probably be a big deal.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SD50, SD43, Mega-Sub, Sea-Clops, Vader? People have been naming it since its introduction. SD50 Seems a good fit for the MK1 models at this point, since they were made only one year, marking the 50th anniversary.

I’m sure the SD4K will still be collectible, but the SD50 is a different animal. Add a MK1 dial that just so happens to be a one year occurrence to its growing fan base, and you have a very hot limited watch. Especially in today’s environment.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’m sure there will be some speculation, but know I’m glad I grabbed one of the early ones.

I was already a fan of the tropic dial, MK1 makes for a little extra cool factor. At least to me.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Who knows with Rolex. They may switch back to not having a crown between "Swiss Made" on the dial in a few years. One thing is for certain about Rolex as a company..........never say never, and the only thing for certain is that you cannot say for sure what they might do in the future.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
‘’The unknown will be in 5-10 years when these start going in for service, and whether or not Rolex will swap dials quietly for uniformity or if they'll let the original dials stay. which would be a little wink.

The safe bet is on the level of paranoia Mk1 owners will eventually face come service time. :rofl:’’

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spotted another MK 2 on instagram, and it looks like the scalpers are also catching on w/ the MK1.

I speculate 20-30k buy the end on the month LOL!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
This

Reactions: ScholarsInk

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Subjective, since many really got into the SD4K but most not.
SD50 For obvious reasons, 50 years.
And in the future because of random serial numbers this strange dial variation will be the only way people will be able to tell that this was an actual one year run made for the 17 release. Which just so happens to be 50 years since the first single red SD. Strange that Rolex would retool just produce a dial in such a manner. Most agree on other forums that this is definitely a wink from Rolex.

Think Sub flat 4...

·
Premium Member
7,549 Posts
Speculation for 20 years down the road. Cute.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess not many on this side of the site can get into Rolex. Maybe I’ll move the topic to the brand related area.

I suppose there would be more excitement on here for another Omega Speedmaster ‘’limited edition’’ LOL!

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
A "wink" and a "fart" from Rolex? Bro, you are good at imagining things, seen and unforeseen!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts