WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Seems I have found *another* watch forum B-) Today I happened to be down the local hardware shop picking up the circular saw I ordered, and the guy in there I usually deal with has a Datejust and he mentioned he had just had it serviced down at the local jewellers. (Rolex Authorised Dealer)

So, that got me thinking to just having a mosey on down there and see what was in the window, thinking, next year I may get around to getting a s/h GMT...maybe from Canada when I go there on holiday next year :)

Went down there and there was a new GMT II in the window, but inside was an 8 year old Sea Dweller, all the papers, and box, purchased from the same place back in '98. The price on it is excellent, here in the UK I would be hard pushed to get a s/h Sub without the date for the same money: it's about 55% of the price of a new SD.... I have the money in the bank, but I don't *need* the watch and I do really like the older Subs and Sea Dwellers, without the white gold around the markers. Trouble is, they cost too much :-|

I've always liked the SD, it has the date and doesn't have the cyclops and I would say it is a watch you can wear every day and not worry about. I did try it on, more than once, and it would be fine, a little tall perhaps, but no more than the Omega Speedmaster Pro I have on my wrist right now.

Anyone got any opinions? (Daft thing to say but I think I need a final convincing to buy the SD, as an investment to stop me spending money on something else :) Or, should I wait and see about picking up a 1675 or so GMT w/o WG on the markers when I go to Canada next year...?

Cheers,

Fraser

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Hi all,

Seems I have found *another* watch forum B-) Today I happened to be down the local hardware shop picking up the circular saw I ordered, and the guy in there I usually deal with has a Datejust and he mentioned he had just had it serviced down at the local jewellers. (Rolex Authorised Dealer)

So, that got me thinking to just having a mosey on down there and see what was in the window, thinking, next year I may get around to getting a s/h GMT...maybe from Canada when I go there on holiday next year :)

Went down there and there was a new GMT II in the window, but inside was an 8 year old Sea Dweller, all the papers, and box, purchased from the same place back in '98. The price on it is excellent, here in the UK I would be hard pushed to get a s/h Sub without the date for the same money: it's about 55% of the price of a new SD.... I have the money in the bank, but I don't *need* the watch and I do really like the older Subs and Sea Dwellers, without the white gold around the markers. Trouble is, they cost too much :-|

I've always liked the SD, it has the date and doesn't have the cyclops and I would say it is a watch you can wear every day and not worry about. I did try it on, more than once, and it would be fine, a little tall perhaps, but no more than the Omega Speedmaster Pro I have on my wrist right now.

Anyone got any opinions? (Daft thing to say but I think I need a final convincing to buy the SD, as an investment to stop me spending money on something else :) Or, should I wait and see about picking up a 1675 or so GMT w/o WG on the markers when I go to Canada next year...?

Cheers,

Fraser
grab it quick before someone else does! u won't regret it and if you decide you don't want it, you can easily resell it online, for maybe more than you bought it for! (Don't buy it as an investment, just think of the resellability as a "money back guarantee")

·
Registered
145 Posts
Hi all,

Cheers,

Fraser
Would'a, Could'a, Should'a. Do ya wanna sit around cryin' in yer scotch?
Listen to your inner voice.. Buy it.. buy it.. buy it...(just my $.02.. that and $5 will buy you a cup of coffee... )

I am just jealous, that's all..
Regards,
Alanlocal80

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
The SeaDweller is my first Rolex; I've had it now for about 2 months. I absolutely love it. Everyone seems to have a Sub, a SeaDweller seems to be a bit different. I think its the perfect size and weight, and it is turning into my every day watch. I love the glossy dial, it always looks like its wet. I think the SeaDweller is a no brainer. You'll love it. :-!

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
If I were you, I wouldn't be thinking about it anymore...

I'd be wearing it!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Dr Rock, go for it. The assertion that you don't need the watch, is never a factor for any WIS:-D :-D

·
Registered
90 Posts
SDs are tough as nails watches. A bit overpriced, but if you can get one that has been previously enjoyed, I'd go for it.

I'm not into cyclops either so SD is a good choice if you want an uncluttered dial.

However, bear in mind that servicing cost for SDs are a bit higher than subs due to:

1. Thicker gaskets
2. HEV valve
3. Crystal is thicker than the sub, I think at least 2mm thicker

Keep those in mind if you are going to jump for an SD.

Regards,

Vernon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts