WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wanting a chrono to round out my modest collection. I had been lusting after the Junghans Telemeter, but decided that I would be foolish to spend that kind of money right now. Then, while browsing the forums, I found a picture of the Seagull 1963 reissue. I'm not quite sure why, but I fell for it. The design, the color, the PRICE, it fits what I need(read: want) perfectly. I ordered from watchunique for 197 euros, shipped to Texas. I think it came out to about $220. Acrylic with display caseback. I'm looking forward to it!

Incoming:

seagull.jpg

Here's my collection at the moment:

IMG_20150124_132708.jpg

Oris John Coltrane LE (884/1000)
IMG_20150124_132734.jpg

Maratac Mid Pilot (2012)
IMG_20150124_132742.jpg

Squale 1545-MI
IMG_20150124_132754.jpg

Vertis single hand
IMG_20150124_132801.jpg

Sinn 556i
IMG_20150124_132820.jpg

·
Premium Member
21,821 Posts
This is mine, it's the variant with the sapphire crystal. The colors are beautiful, and the ST19 hand-wound column-wheel chronograph movement is very pretty to look at.

Reactions: Sentient_meat

·
Premium Member
39,808 Posts
Lovely collection. The Oris is gorgeous and I'm a big fan of that Sinn. I've also recently received a 1963 reissue and I'm really happy with it. Very good for the price.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
This is one on my hitlist and from the same source too.

The thing is, I find this price range the hardest to buy for as there are just so many cool watches at around £200, I don't know where to begin.
I am 99% certain this will be the first to hit the virtual checkout.
I think a worn brown/tan calf strap would be my strap of choice.

·
Registered
12,228 Posts
Don't know why I haven't bought one yet. Nice looking and a great value in my mind. I like acrylic crystals, but I'd also like one of the pandas they have. A lot of cool for a little scratch.

·
Banned
368 Posts
My 1963 is incomming too! I bought it yesterday from another WUS member, he did wear it 1 week since new and I paid 150 Euros only!
It is in the mail since this morning and due to arrive here on Monday...It will be the first chronograph in my collection and my second Sea-Gull watch. Can't wait to see it!!!

Bruno in Belgium

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lovely collection. The Oris is gorgeous and I'm a big fan of that Sinn. I've also recently received a 1963 reissue and I'm really happy with it. Very good for the price.
Thank you! And I'm glad to see others are happy with the 1963. I didn't know much about it before today. I pretty much saw the picture and immediately ordered it.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Like the Oris and the Sinn. I need to get a pilots watch for my collection at some point.

Here's my '63 variant -

A handsome chronograph with an interesting background history, a good proven movement, a see through back, for 200 and some change... it's a great deal.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First, that's an absolutely boss collection. That Oris is just so damn cool.

The 1963 is a great choice. Did you go with the 38 or 42?
Thanks! I went with the 38. I think it fits the vintage look, and my 6.5" wrist, much better.

·
Premium Member
39,808 Posts
Thanks! I went with the 38. I think it fits the vintage look, and my 6.5" wrist, much better.
Good idea. The 38mm fits my 7 inch wrist well (it has quite long lugs). I've never seen the 42mm in real life but I imagine it would wear very large due to the lugs and the fact it has a very slim bezel.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
I've got the Seagull 1963 in 38mm. I ordered the new backs from Thomas because I didn't like the one with the writing on the exhibition back. It's a great looking watch though. I think it looks a lot better on a (tan) leather strap than a NATO. I'll post pics of mine later.

As for the 42mm, that was never an official size. When I was looking into getting mine, the 42mm used the same hands and parts as the 38mm. This made the subdials disproportionately small compared to the dial and the hour/minute/chrono hands weren't long enough to reach the edge of the case. It didn't look right.

ps - that cream dial + chrono will do a lot for the versatility of your collection. Next up ... a blue dial. :p

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Here's a pic of mine with the original strap.
IMG_0065.JPG IMG_0071.JPG

I changed the strap because I felt the watch was too dressy for a NATO. Plus, a Chinese military watch on a "NATO" strap seemed weird. I also replaced the original caseback with one of the new ones that's coming out. It allows a better view of the movement.

IMG_7775.jpg IMG_7778.jpg

Still working on my photography skills ... but I'm slowly getting better.

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ps - that cream dial + chrono will do a lot for the versatility of your collection. Next up ... a blue dial. :p
No! Why!? Why did you do that to me. I had just settled down and promised myself I would pay my credit cards off before another purchase. Now, guess what I'm shopping for...

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
No! Why!? Why did you do that to me. I had just settled down and promised myself I would pay my credit cards off before another purchase. Now, guess what I'm shopping for...
Noticed you're from Texas. There's a WUS get-together on February 28th in Frisco. If you're w/in 4 hours of Dallas, you should make the trip. Lots of cool stuff on display from the members (and of course Timeless Luxury Watches, the host) ... but their stuff is just a tad more up-market.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
That is rather handsome. What strap is that?
18mm Rust Distressed Oil Tan Leather Watch Band Strap Hadley Roma MS854Link: http://www.amazon.com/Distressed-Leather-Hadley-Roma-MS854/dp/B00LW7RYY0/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Runs about $25.

The challenge for me is, when you have an inexpensive watch, you can't really justify a $150 strap for it. I'm generally happy with this one. It comes in two additional colors (rust, sand and ??). My only gripe is that the band is pretty thick and a little short for my 7.25" wrist. I think it's because the watch is only 38mm. It might go further around the wrist on a larger watch, but a larger watch would probably have a strap bigger than 18mm so ....

Anyway, I do like it better than the NATO as far as looks go. It also makes it easier to appreciate the movement.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts