WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to bombard this forum with once again another thread concerning the Seagull 1963 Pilot Chronograph reissue, but I have a few questions and did not want to hijack or revive any threads considered long-dead or otherwise not recently updated. I've been close to posting on other pre-existing 1963 threads but decided it would be best to start my own here.

Basically, as I am sure many of you fellow forum comrades will agree, the 1963 is a highly appealing watch (from an aesthetic, historical and economical point of veiw), and have been long considering purchasing one. Thus far, my modest watch collection has consisted of relatively cheap vintage Swiss and Soviet timepieces off ebay - nothing at all expensive like the 1963.

Before I decide to buy one... I must ask, where is the best place to make the purchase? I've done extensive research and it seems that "watchunique.com" and a specific seller in Hong Kong called Thomas are the two cheapest ways. Has anyone had any prior experience of buying the watch through the watchunique.com website, because I personally favour the ease and familiarity of purchasing my watch through a website using Paypal. Price is a significant issue for me, as I cannot justify anything much over US$200 or Euro 150. Or alternatively, since I happen to be travelling to HK soon... would it be easier to get it there? :-!

·
Registered
597 Posts
I bought mine from Thomas back in January. Totally hassle free. As far as I remember it cost me 162 Euro delivered. And I have worn it as my everyday watch ever since! :) I love it. I bought the prettier and more authentic 38mm with acrylic crystal version.

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
I bought mine from watchunique.com, and it was very easy and quick. I ordered over a weekend, and it was delivered to North Carolina by mid-week. I've been very pleased so far.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
But I'm pretty sure if it turns out the 2014 project is the space watch It'll probably be over your budget...

If you like the 1963, go ahead and buy one since they won't be getting any cheaper. I own one myself and it is a fabulous watch.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Is it best to just email Thomas regarding purchase? I am definitely interested in a 42mm with displayback, if still available.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is it best to just email Thomas regarding purchase? I am definitely interested in a 42mm with displayback, if still available.
Definitely, send him an email with what 42mm model you'd like (there's the original, black dial panda and white dial panda) and he'll respond with the price and shipping options. He's pretty busy so be patient in waiting for a response. Thomas is definitely the best way to acquire a 1963.

Sent from my LT30a using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes this is what I gathered, thanks for the responses.

About the 2014 forum watch, though it does look fantastic, my budget would likely fail to stretch that high. Thus far, I'm struggling to justify buying the 1963 as it is expensive for me, but I am gradually getting there. Maybe by November I will have it and post the compulsory (and overdone) review of the Seagull 1963.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
actually my question about the 1963 is, who makes the watch? seagull hk? seagull tianjin? or some unknown using seagull movements? very confused here

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
actually my question about the 1963 is, who makes the watch? seagull hk? seagull tianjin? or some unknown using seagull movements? very confused here
The movements are undoubtedly from Sea-Gull Tianjin.
The rest of the watches are likely from a couple of different sources. That's why there is an apparent difference in QC between Thomas; uniguewatches and the others.

The movements are the only constant with these offerings. Assembly and QC are the varying features.

Stick with Thomas or 'unigue' and you will have your bases covered if there should ever be any problems :)

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The only thing you should fear is missing out on 1963. After all, a collection isn't bona fide until it hosts a '63.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Haha yeah and Thomas seems to have a lower price even with shipping compared to what is being offered here in sg.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well actually, the 1963 would be my first foray in to Chinese watch territory. A good entrance piece, I hope so?! My watch collection has *NO* direction at all, I love pieces from 1910s Swiss trench watches, to 1970s USSR pieces, to contemporary Seiko sports watches; that is my problem. I have for ages considered both the Shanghai A581 and A611, which seem nice. There are a few competent reissues of the aforementioned pieces too!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Thomas only has sapphire ones in 38mm, and the two pandas (but not the classic) in 42mm with mineral glass. No more acrylics evidently. The sapphire is $250 plus shipping (about $40) and the pandas are $220 +shipping.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I ordered mine from Watchunique - love the watch, it got to me in something in the neighborhood of 3 days to California (!) - very smooth transaction!

=Patti

·
Banned
595 Posts
I bought my 42mm 1963 from Thomas and is very happy with it. It is hassle free and if you chose to get it from him, just email him.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts