WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,433 Posts
I saw a photo on the 304 thread and I was wondering what the dial said. Now I know. But please explain why you call it a "Sea-Gull" watch.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I saw a photo on the 304 thread and I was wondering what the dial said. Now I know. But please explain why you call it a "Sea-Gull" watch.
I am with you, but...
Perhaps it is because of the movement they are using.
Even the translated Taobao ad for the watch calls it a "FOD men's all steel mechanical watch seagull gooseneck movement replica 1963 pilot panda chronograph D304".
Found here:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...ZLHov&id=591935694524&ns=1&abbucket=15#detail

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I can't get over FOD though.
FOD definition:
Foreign Object Debris (FOD) is a substance, debris or article alien to the vehicle or system which would potentially cause damage. ... FOD has been part of accidents and unscheduled maintenance reports since the earliest days of flight.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Re: Seagull "FOD" Chronograph?

I picked up one these last month. Solid 1963-variant. Case finishing is slightly different than the classic 38mm model, with a different mix of brushed and polished. The sapphire caseback has nice AR coating, the lume on the dial and hands is decent (not spectacular, but definitely serviceable). The finishing overall is good, especially for the price. And the biggest kicker is the swan neck regulator on the ST19, which is being touted now by EMG on their new DL63, but here you can have it on a watch half the price, without needing to wait!

Edit, dumped a bunch of pictures

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Disguise. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these soon. Who did you buy from? It looks like there is only one seller on eBay and Ali. It has a acrylic crystal, correct? How long have you had yours and how has it been running?

·
Registered
642 Posts
Thanks Disguise. I am thinking of pulling the trigger on one of these soon. Who did you buy from? It looks like there is only one seller on eBay and Ali. It has a acrylic crystal, correct? How long have you had yours and how has it been running?
I bought it through ebay, slightly better buyer protection that way. And yes, there's only one seller. I've had it for 4 days now, running accurate during that time (haven't timed it to the second, but seems to be running pretty darn good). The front crystal is acrylic indeed, only the case back is sapphire. I mostly bought it to satisfy the need for a mechanical handwind and a chronograph, combined in one, with an attractive design and a cheap price tag too

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought it through ebay, slightly better buyer protection that way. And yes, there's only one seller. I've had it for 4 days now, running accurate during that time (haven't timed it to the second, but seems to be running pretty darn good). The front crystal is acrylic indeed, only the case back is sapphire. I mostly bought it to satisfy the need for a mechanical handwind and a chronograph, combined in one, with an attractive design and a cheap price tag too
How long did it take to get to the States?

·
Registered
642 Posts
How long did it take to get to the States?
About 3 weeks, pretty much standard. Was with Chinese EMS, so decent tracking throughout through USPS

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,509 Posts
I can't get over FOD though.
FOD definition:
Foreign Object Debris (FOD) is a substance, debris or article alien to the vehicle or system which would potentially cause damage. ... FOD has been part of accidents and unscheduled maintenance reports since the earliest days of flight.
May its meaning is 'Fast Oscilate Definition"? That will sound cool. :-d

I have to admit, that is a nice looking chronograph. Size is right too at 38mm.

·
Premium Member
Wolbrook Professional modded to handwind only
209 Posts
It’s a looker, congrats! I’ve got the same movement in a Unizeit Bauhaus Chrono. I’ve enjoyed using it; nice mechanical feel and a good time keeper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I purchased the all black dial version. I was pleasantly surprised with the quality of the dial. It's not apparent in the online sales photos but the chrome FOD logo is applied and the subdials are finished with concentric grooves to provide a vintage look. It's very reminiscent of a Benrus Sky Chief. I took this picture with intentional glare to highlight these details.
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Are the sub-dials on reverse panda recessed?

·
Registered
116 Posts

Hi Disguise, I hope this message finds you well. Thank you for uploading the pictures, they are quite helpful in getting an idea on how it wears. I was just wondering on your opinion on this watch as of today. Do you think it´s worth getting? I´m currently debating between getting the Dan Henry 1964 reverse panda or the FOD chrono, leaning more towards the FOD because of its overall aesthetic (and the fact that it doesn´t have an AR coating on the crystal which gives a blue hue that I´m not particularly a fan of). So basically, would you recommend anyone getting the FOD? Also. which ebay seller did you source it from? There are currently several options on the bay but I wonder if one isn´t legit. Thank you in advance, regards.

·
Registered
642 Posts

Hi Disguise, I hope this message finds you well. Thank you for uploading the pictures, they are quite helpful in getting an idea on how it wears. I was just wondering on your opinion on this watch as of today. Do you think it´s worth getting? I´m currently debating between getting the Dan Henry 1964 reverse panda or the FOD chrono, leaning more towards the FOD because of its overall aesthetic (and the fact that it doesn´t have an AR coating on the crystal which gives a blue hue that I´m not particularly a fan of). So basically, would you recommend anyone getting the FOD? Also. which ebay seller did you source it from? There are currently several options on the bay but I wonder if one isn´t legit. Thank you in advance, regards.
This watch is quite different from the DH 1964 for several reasons, with the main one being a mechanical vs quartz. So it really depends on how you wear your watches, and what you hope to get out of this watch too. If you want a grab and go watch, go for the DH. If you want a watch with a cool movement inside that has history, but that you need to wind every day, and will have to service ~5 years down the road, get the FOD. Otherwise, the FOD is slightly thicker too, I believe, due to the movement.

Me personally, I would get the FOD over the DH every day. But that's just me, and mostly because I can't stand a ticking seconds hand on a vintage looking watch. But the DH is a nice package with that BoR bracelet and a faux-tricompax layout, and if you value having a bracelet, you should definitely think hard about getting the DH.

As for eBay vendors, I tend to stay clear from recommending any particular seller in general. It is not because I had a positive buying experience that that would be the same for somebody else, and I've learned that through experience. And as far as I am aware, all these are churned out by the same factory, so the quality should be comparable.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts