WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I know this is a bit off topic, but please allow this post.

Does anyone know the brand of flashlight Mike writes about in his Everest blog? Mike states he received the light from his SEAL trainers. I am foremost a watch collector, but for whatever reason I also have a small collection of flashlights. Being a bit of an outdoorsman, I would like to know where I could purchase one of the SEAL flashlights.

I am glad to hear Mike's knee is healing and that he is ready for the summit of Everest!

Mike, please be safe and I truly hope you and your teamates reach the summit.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried Google. I did not find a light that has a strobe button function and operated on AA batteries.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure what Mike was referring to, but I would be very surprised if the SEALS did not use Surefire's...IMHO they are the best out there (at least available to the general public).

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'm not sure what Mike was referring to, but I would be very surprised if the SEALS did not use Surefire's...IMHO they are the best out there (at least available to the general public).
Here's a second for Surefire. My dad gave me one a while back, and it's just outstanding.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I'm no flash light expert, the fact that the one you wonder about uses AA rather than Lithium and has a strobe function, throws me.
Sure fire did have a couple strobing lights in their 2009 catalog, that aren't on their site and haven't hit the street yet. Are they powered by AA? Not certain, most if not all of their line up is rechargeable or Lithium powered.

Maybe a search here would help you:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/

·
Registered
13 Posts
While it is not a US made brand like SureFire (one of the best out there) Try the Fenix brand It fits the description that Mike speaks of and are in use but several Law Enforcement Agencys especially in the tactical realm. They are a great light for the money.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
If it isn't American Made, it isn't what is being used by the Seals

·
Registered
13 Posts
I agree with you. I do everything I can to buy American, but was just giving a little info on a light I personally know fits the bill so to speek.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Agree w/ CB - sounds like a Fenix. Dunno of any Surefires that use AAs (could stand corrected). Fenix has several that are AA powered, have digitally-controlled strobe functions, and are hella bright (not really Surefire bright though). They are, however, Chinese-made.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
I agree with you. I do everything I can to buy American, but was just giving a little info on a light I personally know fits the bill so to speek.
Oh, I wasn't trying to be a smart as* and I appreciate your patriotism, but it is my understanding (from a previous position) that all US Military will not do any contracts with any companies that aren't 100% made or have parts coming from anyone but the US or our allies.

I was previously in the linen business and we had to find a special supplier for one piece because there was 1 thread in the garment that came from China and the Navy would not accept it.

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
Isn't it well known that some members of the SEALs wear Casio G-Shocks. Probably isn't mil-spec, but I guess they use what works for them. :)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
SureFires are outstanding and we use them in my Unit. Super-bright, dependable, durable and completely backed up by the company.

I also have a couple of Fennix - good lights, reliable and durable, although side-by-side with a SureFire, there is no comparison. I think that the light MK is alluding to is a Fenix.

And from my experience, SOF guys carry whatever is the most reliable and durable and generally do not get too hung up on where the weapons and / or equipment are made. Althgouh this generally means Europe for the weapons (H&K, SIG-Sauer, Glock all come to mind) and North America and / or Japan for the electronics.

Anyway, let's hope that MK can make the ascent and that all goes well.

James

·
Registered
453 Posts
I thought Surefire was made in America and got in a debate over that fact. After researcching it I lost the debate. Nowhere on their box or website will you see made in america...it does not meet the criteria.

As for Surefire vs. Fenix, I like the Fenix TK11 for use on my boat. the beam is MUCH more focused than on my Surefire E2, but then again the Surefire is noticeably smaller. The battery life on the TK11 is also way better than on the Surefire. On balance if I could only have one, sorry to say it would be the Fenix.

·
Registered
264 Posts
For law enforcement use, I've used both the Surefire and the Fenix. The Surefire Combat light was great....I believe it had a 225 lumen bulb.
But....the Fenix far outperforms that. I have a tiny P1D in front of me on a key chain that outperforms 90% of the Surefires. And it has a strobe mode. One 123 lithium battery. 180 lumens. Cree bulb, brighter than Luxeon. About 2 inches long.
Next is my PD30 with 2 lithium batteries....6 modes...a strobe and about 220 lumens.
There are models with the !!! batteries if you so choose.
I was a long time admirer of Surefires and they are still very good, as are the Streamlights.
But....Fenix throws MUCH more light....and that's the name of the game.
I cannot tell you how well it works at 2AM when you pull over a carful of strange suspects and hit them with the strobe for a few seconds. Gives me a little edge of about 5 seconds to determine the threat level.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
My Fenix TK10 has blown away every flashlight I have ever laid eyes on. I've even drop tested it several times onto concrete off a ladder. I bought my wife a P1D that uses a single AA and for it's size it packs a punch. I will be picking up one of the new TK40's soon too. Some of the watches that come out of china might be sub-par but those Fenix lights are Grade A Chuck Norris approved awesome lights.

·
Banned
3,758 Posts
Hmm. Weapons?
Lists of weapons issued to SOF seem to be 50% non-US made. And SOF by their nature frequently use weapons that work regardless of country or army of issue.
I was about to say the same thing. I do not believe there is a dictate that only allows the US Military to 'buy American'.

·
Registered
569 Posts
It'll be interesting to learn more.

HDS lights (made in the USA) were military issue lights, and could run on AAs as well as CR123s. I've got a modified B42 and it is truly an amazing light. Far more output than most up-to-date lights (actual lumens vs. advertised lumens), and its management of the beam is second to only a few.

The First Light Tomahawk series (also made in the USA) are used by several military and police agencies. No AAs. I've got one and it is wonderful.

I've owned and own many, many lights including Fenix, SureFire, HDS, Novatac, Ra, McGizmo, MR Bulk... the list goes on and on. So many great choices now, and so many great modders who can make the lights better than the factory can. :)

Be very scared- this is yet another "...aholism" that one can get caught up in. Trust me. ;)

Off topic, but fun! :)

A few McGizmos:

RARE Titanuim Ra Twisty with the modified HDS:

RARE SPY007 Titanium flashlight:

·
Registered
51 Posts
There once was a time when Surefire was the best handheld out there, but that time is long gone. I still have several, most of them upgraded with a Malkoff LED module, but at their price point and output, I have numerous other single and quad LED lights that put them to absolute shame.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts