WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've never had a Frogman before but I've always appreciated the older, smaller DW9900's. When someone posted DW9950 Seaman in a WRUW a few days ago, I was like huh? Seaman? Couldn't find much online about it, didn't see any on the bay, didn't see it in the Frogman list on Mygshock. Did find a good post on 50G's about it though: 50 Gs
I did a search in my "secret" fishing spot and found one lone 9950. Seems like the strap on it belongs to a WCCS (World Coral Conservation Society model), possibly dyed black, not sure. Also I can't tell if the metal on the face is silver or gold. Anyway, I won the bid today for 59 bucks.
5efec4.jpg 5efec5.jpg 5efec6.jpg

Also stumbled across what looks like a nos bezel and strap which is probably as rare if not more so than the watch so picked up that as well.
aoinagagutsu-img640x480-1502625681dmbuuk21074.jpg aoinagagutsu-img640x480-1502625681ntczt421074.jpg aoinagagutsu-img640x480-150262568177ta0o21074.jpg

I'm new at Frogs so this is more of an experiment than anything. If it doesn't work out, I'm hoping it won't be difficult to unload to a Frogman(Seaman) aficionado. You know where to find me :)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Awesome steal. Got you one of the 36,000,000 there.

Reactions: Fergfour

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Great find.
Hope it works as good as it looks.

Reactions: Fujoor

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great find! Its a steal. And you even got a spare bezel for the Seaman? This most be your lucky day. :)
Jasabor, you're the one that posted a Seaman in the WRUW thread a few days ago which caught my eye. I took your advice on getting a 9950 over a 9900 :). Honestly I wasn't about to spend anything close to what the 9900's are listed at on ebay, so yeah 60 bucks is a reasonable fee to dip my toes in the water. I sort of like the strap it's on but it's not really a WCCS watch (I think those have a different engraving on the caseback?). In any case, it'll be nice too have the option to change the resin if I want, or just to have a backup of needed.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
Nice score, but to be totally factual it's not $59 USD. You have to pay the middleman fees and shipping. Still, a nice price considering they usually go for a good $30 USD higher. And that same seller had a jelly model (with "FROGMAN" stamp on it) go for about $110 USD before fees. I had my eye on that but lost out (I was trying for 10.5k JPY).

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
True xevious after fees 67 bucks. I usually go towards the cheap end on shipping as I don't mind waiting the extra time. I think I saw the jelly you were referring to but I wanted the "Seaman" on the bezel. Based the few dozen 9900's I see on ebay and other sites I don't think I could hope for a better deal. Then again I wouldn't know if the Seaman is more or less desirable than a Frogman. I assume there are less of them, but being more obscure doesn't necessarily equate to higher prices if there isn't as much demand.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Jasabor, you're the one that posted a Seaman in the WRUW thread a few days ago which caught my eye. I took your advice on getting a 9950 over a 9900 :). Honestly I wasn't about to spend anything close to what the 9900's are listed at on ebay, so yeah 60 bucks is a reasonable fee to dip my toes in the water. I sort of like the strap it's on but it's not really a WCCS watch (I think those have a different engraving on the caseback?). In any case, it'll be nice too have the option to change the resin if I want, or just to have a backup of needed.
You are right. The W.C.C.S Frogman/Seaman has the coral with fishes engraving on the back and DW-9950WC as the model.

·
Premium Member
8,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The DW-9950 arrived last night and it's pretty darn cool. I understand now why Frogs are so popular, and can appreciate the quality. This was a rare impulse/curiosity buy on my part, I mainly go for squares or early MR-G's. As cool as it is, I'm flipping it to another interested member. He gets a hard to find piece he loves with spare resin no less, and I put the proceeds to the G's I love. Win-Win. I wore it for a minute yesterday evening:

IMG_0638.JPG IMG_0635.JPG IMG_0636.JPG IMG_0637.JPG IMG_0639.JPG IMG_0634.JPG

1 - 11 of 11 Posts