WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to check some AD's and see if there's one sitting around, could use some knowledge before I go. Can anyone tell me:

1) When exactly did Omega stop making this model (what was the last year of production)?

2) What was the list price of this watch when it was last made?

I believe (but not sure) I read that the list was around $1850.00 but the list for a SMP now is around $2300. If this is true, would a negotiating point be the $1850 mark? Does the AD buy these from Omega at the time of receipt of the watches, at that present value point, or are they bound to sell them at the msrp value point at the time of the sale? What I'm wondering is, if I can get 20% off, should I be asking for 20% off of what the list price of the watch was when it was made (or in this case when it was discontinued) or is that not how it works? Do I have to begin at present list price for a SMP even though it was discontinued some time ago?

Thanks for educating me.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
The last year of production was 2008 and the MSRP was $2350.

If you find one NIB at an AD, he may have bought it at the previous price of $2150 (or even less if older) but he will want to sell it for $2350. As to discount, there is quite a demand for this model so your guess is as good as mine.

Good hunting.

Fr. John†

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hi 9 iron,

It just so happens that I found a NOS 2255.80 and got a great deal on it. The only catch is that I just bought a NOS 2358.30(?) Great White GMT there, for what I think was too much, few days ago.

The list on the 2255.80, according to them was $2300.00. Last year they gave me a quote of $1600.00 including taxes, but that was because I just bought a PO there. I went back last week thinking I would give them a low ball offer based off the $1600.00 but they didn't budge. I went back a couple of days later to try again and to actually buy the watch, even if it was for the $1600. As I was trying it on for the last time, I saw the white gmt, which I never saw there before. As matter of fact, I never saw it in person before. All of a sudden I was thrown off track.

That watch didn't have a MSRP listed on the tag. When the manager came over the first thing he siad was, "oh that watch is a classic." The msrp he quoted was $3150.00, which according to a quick iPhone search, was way off. The highest msrp I found was $2850.00. Never the less, I wanted the watch (read "impulse buy") so I started haggling. After about a 1/2 hour of back and forth, the lowest I was able to get them was $2200.00 net.

What followed was a lot of excitment, then buyer's regret, a feeling of possibly getting ripped off, thinking I should have gotten the 2255.80 instead. Now I'm happy with the decision again.

I still wanted the 2255.00 though, so I made then a low offer, which they didn't take. They met me in the middle at $1475 net.

I'm going to pick it up tonight. They'll also polish up my breitling clasp for free. As a matter of fact, they gave me free polishing for all my watches each time I bought from them.

So in the end, I payed too much for 1 watch and got a good deal for another. I guess I averaged out ok. Plus, they were both NOS.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I stand corrected, Peter.

I checked the hang tag that came on my 2255.80 and the MRSP was in fact $2300. I had not looked in the box since the watch arrived in April 2009.

Fr. John†

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Just picked it up. It a lot more beautiful in person and better looking away form the dealers diamond lights.

Here is a quick photo I took on the way home and one of the freaking awesome lume.

..and some other family members.

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't really know the GMT prices but it sounds a long way below retail. The 2255.80 price is the lowest I've seen from a B&M store.

I agree jewellery/ watch store lighting is a pain and the 2255.80 looks far better with normal light.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts