WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a follow up to my earlier thread related to my watch losing 5 minutes in one day, I reset the watch sunday and it is still running totally accurate. I am beginning to believe that the issue was the lack of activity with my day (office job) and the power reserve getting so low (after 3 weeks) that the watch had stopped for a short period of time before starting again. That makes more sense than me setting the watch incorrectly or a mechanical issue with the watch which I dont believe exists. I am thinking about a watch winder and have no knowledge about them. When you have a watch winder, do you put the watch into it every night or is it something that is done less periodically? Also, what would people recommend for an inexpensive winder that has worked well for them? I guess my concern would be something that holds the watch securely and a winder that will not adversely effect the watch in any way mechanically by using it every night or at whatever interval is appropriate. Thanks for your assistance and I am happy that there seems to be nothing mechanically wrong with my Seamaster 300.

·
Registered
117 Posts
image1.jpeg

I bought this Wolf 2.5 winder brand new off of ebay for $80 shipped. Not only is it dead silent, but it's as aesthetic as it is functional. It has three settings (clockwise, counter, and both) and has standby/sleep modes built in to prevent over winding. I could leave the watch in here indefinitely if need be, but typically I rotate between my two every other day. Since being stored in the winder, I've noticed a 2-3 second accuracy improvement. My first seamaster was running about -6 second per day, and now is running at -4 seconds per day and holding that lag well past 72 hours. For a watch that's over 2k, these are worthwhile investments regardless of how much you wear your watch. I'm a firm believer in the less you have to touch the crown, the better.

·
Registered
204 Posts
One advantage to living in the UK and driving a stick shift, my gear changing arm (and watch arm) gets plenty of activity :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I also have a Wolf winder from Topper Jewelry (forum sponsor for Ball) which also is an Omega AD. I don't use it often other than if I have a couple watches I want to swap around regularly--one on the wrist and the other on the winder. The other option--and less expensive--is to give the watch a good 40 turn hand wind once a week to top up the reserve.

·
Registered
909 Posts
As a follow up to my earlier thread related to my watch losing 5 minutes in one day, I reset the watch sunday and it is still running totally accurate. I am beginning to believe that the issue was the lack of activity with my day (office job) and the power reserve getting so low (after 3 weeks) that the watch had stopped for a short period of time before starting again. That makes more sense than me setting the watch incorrectly or a mechanical issue with the watch which I dont believe exists. I am thinking about a watch winder and have no knowledge about them. When you have a watch winder, do you put the watch into it every night or is it something that is done less periodically? Also, what would people recommend for an inexpensive winder that has worked well for them? I guess my concern would be something that holds the watch securely and a winder that will not adversely effect the watch in any way mechanically by using it every night or at whatever interval is appropriate. Thanks for your assistance and I am happy that there seems to be nothing mechanically wrong with my Seamaster 300.
There are lots of options for winders. I bought a cheapie Diplomat off of Amazon last summer. By cheap, I mean both in price and quality. It was cheap plastic, you could hear the motor a little, and it only had one default winder program. It still got the job done. It did have a switch that would change the direction of rotation. I also bough Wolf double watch which is really nice. My Wolf is one of their winders with a few extra features that allow you to adjust the winding program. You can set the number of rotations by 50-rotation increments, you can set it to clockwise, counter clockwise, or a mix of both clockwise and counter clockwise. It has a little screen to tell you the number of winds left in the current program. This is nice because different watches take a different number of rotations to wind. This of course opens up the debate as to whether this is necessay or not because you can't overwind an automatic. My Wolf also has a delay function where you can set the winder to automatically start in a few hours. My Wolf is one of their higher end models, they have various other winders with fewer settings you can adjust to ones with just one pre-set winding program.
I think they have a newer model that has more functions than mine. I would say the Wolf winder is very similar to a luxury automatic watch: It's not really necessary, but it's really nice to have. The Wolf also looks really nice sitting on a shelf.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What about manually winding the watch 40 times once a week as someone suggested. Does that put wear on the watch in any way. Is it better to stay away from the crown as some have suggested?

·
Registered
204 Posts
I'm sure someone learned in the field of watchmaking will chime in, but I would say no.

Winding once a week isn’t going to cause problems, winding once a day isn’t going to cause problems either. It’s a piece of equipment designed for that use, it would be kind of silly if you couldn’t use it for an intended purpose

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I'm sure someone learned in the field of watchmaking will chime in, but I would say no.

Winding once a week isn’t going to cause problems, winding once a day isn’t going to cause problems either. It’s a piece of equipment designed for that use, it would be kind of silly if you couldn’t use it for an intended purpose
In all regards it is no different than a handwinding watch that could be wound every day, however the issue of wear to the screw down crown threads does come into question although I really don't see that as a real problem. Personally I have 2 wolf winders since I trade out watches often so I feel that's the best option.

·
Registered
909 Posts
What about manually winding the watch 40 times once a week as someone suggested. Does that put wear on the watch in any way. Is it better to stay away from the crown as some have suggested?
I'm pretty sure reputable people on this forum (I don't want to name names and accidentally put words in peoples mouths) who know their stuff have said that the winding stem attached to the crown is one of the weaker parts of an automatic movement. The suggestion they made was to only wind an automatic using the crown when necessay. This person also said that winders are a good alternative.

Reactions: mrvenneri

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
View attachment 3890778

I bought this Wolf 2.5 winder brand new off of ebay for $80 shipped. Not only is it dead silent, but it's as aesthetic as it is functional. It has three settings (clockwise, counter, and both) and has standby/sleep modes built in to prevent over winding. I could leave the watch in here indefinitely if need be, but typically I rotate between my two every other day. Since being stored in the winder, I've noticed a 2-3 second accuracy improvement. My first seamaster was running about -6 second per day, and now is running at -4 seconds per day and holding that lag well past 72 hours. For a watch that's over 2k, these are worthwhile investments regardless of how much you wear your watch. I'm a firm believer in the less you have to touch the crown, the better.
I have the same winder, and the Amazon exclusive Wolf single winder without the door, and a nice 2 watch Wolf, and another high-end dual watch winder like the wolf, a dual winder from Egard, and two dual winders from Amazon - so I can wind 14 watches at one time. I have 8 more watches that don't have winders yet...

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
In the WUS Watchmaking forum there are several threads regarding the weakness of the ETA 2824 hand winding components. I have two watches with this movement and rarely if ever wind them by hand. I've never read of problems with Omega movements but I am not the expert.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts