WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

What direction would you like the project to take?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the first Poll to decide on the overarching approach to the project... please read the main [Seamaster 300 Homage - Project 'Spectre'] thread before voting. There is a lot of information, inspiration and wise words of WISdom already... especially read Docvail's post number 226 :)

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=2257601

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I'm new to this kind of thing, so it's very exciting to me. I think one of the values I would get from this is taking the whole deal through from start to finish. I can't help but notice that while this may drive up the amount of fidgeting, second guessing and so forth, that these development challenges may be managed by keeping a constant reference to the original inspiration for the design. At least, here my fingers are crossed: I'm hoping this works out! It's exciting!

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
If you go through Fullswing, they make Helson and Armida to name a few, it'll be about a $40k investment for a MOQ of 200 units. It will take a lot longer than modding an existing donor unit, which is what I would lean towards. Numbers wise though, it's more bang per buck, even with less interest, technically we could get 100 people to pay in $400 and get 2 watches, one blue and one black vs. paying the middle man markup when using an existing donor. Just some food for thought, I spoke to Fullswing directly about a project and I ended up going the donor route because I don't have the capital to make 200 unit commitment, instead I'll be paying around $25k for 50 units that I'll be able to get a decent markup on. Just depicting how the more interest, the better your returns would be.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I'd be in on a forum project for this :)

Chris

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Voting might go a bit differently if there were more "donor" cases under consideration.

So far, only the Orthos case has been discussed in the other thread. I have a feeling that there are other existing cases with the twisted lug design between 38 to 42mm that could be discussed. I wish I knew more about this stuff and could suggest something... anyone else?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Just a quick note to say that I voted here because it was mentioned in the other thread that this would be a good count of those interested.

I'm still kind a noob around here and frankly, a bit under the weather today so not sure I voted "correctly". I voted for option 1; to clarify, I like the idea of using the Orthos as the base with the scalloped bezel.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think this poll is a little confusing. I don't quite know what to answer.

I admire the work Chris does at L&H, and how he suggests organizing this. And I like the renders we've seen using the Orthos case, but I'm open to other ideas.

But if I wanted to vote for using the Orthos, I don't know which to pick. L&H is a micro brand that could get the manufacturing done for us, as well as the QC and distribution, so that sounds like #1. But using the Orthos with a custom dial and hands sounds like #2. And #3?

Sorry, I'm new to project watches. And I'm somewhat open-minded, looking forward to future proposals.

But since we're told this is the initial way to express interest, I want to vote.

Edit: Looks like the two posters above me posted the same confusion while I was typing this up.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Am I to understand the options are:

1. essentially new watch, partnered with some micro or another;
2. Mod a donor watch, eg Orthos, that uses existing case/bezel combo;
3. Make parts and leave it to each person to build their own.

Do I have that right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mrwozza70

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Just check any box to show you are interested. The project evolved a bit after this poll got started.

Any watch built and fulfilled by L&H (or anyone else) would fall under #1. The donor watch reference in #2 refers to some early-discussed options around just commissioning mod parts if we could find a widely available watch for individual modders to start from. Using the Orthos, per docvail, will not be a mod project. We wouldn't be using existing Orthos inventory, but ordering a run of customized watches using the Orthos case, movement, and bezel assembly.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Guys as you know the pace picked up very quickly. Right now nearly all the talk is about OPTION 1 whether that be based on Orthos, another design or completely new design and manufacture from scratch. This is a show of hands based upon the concepts explored in the thread.

You are not voting on any option and there is no commitment at this point.

This will all follow.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 37 Posts