WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

201 - 220 of 3827 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was contemplating a Skyfall when the 300 MC caught my eye. I've owned some blue dialed watches but the Ti blue dial reminded me of the Bond blue of the SMPs. The SMP and 300 Ti blue was what I always thought of as "blah blue". It doesn't jump out like the Skyfall and electric blue.

So I ended up going SS because it was truer to the original. Plus, I've owned Ti and much prefer SS.

But it's your money.
I have to echo what John is saying here. I really love blue, and thought for sure I'd go with the Ti solely for the blue dial/bezel, but when seeing it side by side with my current SS 300MC, the blue didn't pop at all. It's so dark it darn near appeared to be the same watch. Yes, side by side there was a slight noticeable difference, but not blue enough for me. The weight savings of the Ti was nice though.

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
Guys I don't wish to hijack this thread but I'm having a bit of a conundrum. I want a 300 but I cannot decide between the steel and the steel/Sedna gold. Cost isn't a factor. I currently have my POLMLE, sub 114060 no date and the 38.5mm "Skyfall" AT. I seldom wear the AT and it will be on the block soon, the sub draws too much attention, both positive and some not so and the PO well I love it. Sooooo would the PO and the 300 steel make a perfect diver twosome or should I go gold for a bit of dressy/vintage? I have to admit I would probably put the gold on a strap of some sort? The standard steel would live on a NATO. Cheers and of course I have a few photos from the other day when I checked out both :)

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
If it were me, and cash wasn't a factor, I'd go SS. And, I did. At the end of the day I played with all versions of the 300 except Platinum which wasn't on hand. Ultimately, I just don't like two tone. Also I felt the SS was truer to the product and aesthetic. Of course this is just my personal preference. Having had the SS for just over two weeks now - I love it. Looks great with a suit. In fact, I'm wearing it today with a suit and have already had 3 separate compliments on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Guys I don't wish to hijack this thread but I'm having a bit of a conundrum. I want a 300 but I cannot decide between the steel and the steel/Sedna gold. Cost isn't a factor. I currently have my POLMLE, sub 114060 no date and the 38.5mm "Skyfall" AT. I seldom wear the AT and it will be on the block soon, the sub draws too much attention, both positive and some not so and the PO well I love it. Sooooo would the PO and the 300 steel make a perfect diver twosome or should I go gold for a bit of dressy/vintage? I have to admit I would probably put the gold on a strap of some sort? The standard steel would live on a NATO. Cheers and of course I have a few photos from the other day when I checked out both :)
No need to spend the money for gold to go dressy/vintage. The SS is true to the original and can go as dressy as necessary; i.e., black tie and tails.

I had this one for a while:

and was afraid to wear it for fear of dinging the soft gold bezel and scratching the PCLs.

The SS is much more versatile and will pair up beautifully with the PO LM LE.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I'm really not a fan of two tones. And have to say that I just generally don't like gold on watches. My budget for the 300mc wouldn't allow anything but the SS, but I have to say that I would have chosen that one anyway.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If I were to give you the PC answer: "you only live once, pick the one that appeals to you more." The PC answer is, off course, the least useful answer so I'll try to sway your decision.

I say go for the steel/sedna gold version. It's something different and not very popular unlike the regular stainless steel model. Have you also considered the titanium and gold model?

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
The more I’ve spent time with my 300M, the more I’ve come to appreciate it (PCL and all) and a few thoughts come to mind.

If you realize this is a dressy diver, the PCL are not bad whatsoever. I once had a “No PCL policy” when buying watches… even passing on this one a few times due to the PCL’s. I think I wanted too much from a watch back then… I wanted a “do it all” bracelet diver – and now I realize there isn’t such a horse.

I tried this on at the local Boutique and asked them to take off all the protective plastic that was covering the bracelet. They did. While my wife chatted it up with the SA, I spent a good 3-4 minutes with the watch on my wrist, looking at it in the mirror… and you know what, PCL aren’t all that bad. It shocked me how they are not all that “blingy” from 3-4 feet away. You almost hardly notice the PCL from 3-4 feet away.

Anyway, more on the “do it all watch”, and learning to not expect that from this 300M. I own quite a few Omega’s. A Skyfall Blue Aqua Terra (non-master brushed bracelet), a PO8500, a Speedy Moonwatch, and the Speedy FOIS… and of course this 300M. If I want to wear a t-shirt and jeans, causal look – I’ll grab for my Moonwatch or Planet Ocean without hesitation. A little more dressy attire and I’ll go for my Skyfall AT8500. But if I want to wear something more dressy like a white dress shirt and blazer, this 300M is my choice unless I’m going with a leather band watch like my IWC Portofino. And with more dressy attire (white button down shirt, etc… the PCL actually compliment the look moreso than an all brushed bracelet which can come off as more tool-watch like. So once I understood and embraced that, I enjoy the PCL with my more dressy clothes. Casual gets other watches wrist time.

See below photo borrowed from the internet, 300M with a white button down dress shirt = perfection IMO. Not to say you can’t wear it with other things… but with a 7 watch collection, I tend to not force what doesn’t look right IMO and wear what I feel works best. Its nice to have options.

Also, a few words on why I don't think an all brushed bracelet works on this watch. Due to all of the polish on this watch - the case, lugs, bezel sides, in addition to the hi-gloss bezel top.... to me, the all brushed bracelet has a major 'disconnect' with the rest of the watch. However the PCL ties it all together IMO. And this is coming from someone who 2 months ago wouldn't consider buying a watch with PCL!! I'm glad I saw the light!

Attachments

·
Registered
16,766 Posts
No offense to those that keep the 300 MC with the polished center links, I like the 300 MC better with brushed center links. I'm not against PCL, (I have another watch that has them). but to my eyes this "diver" looks better toned down with the all brushed look.

Mark
That's why there are divers like the Planet Ocean which is more "toned down" and casual. If you want a more toned down look... go for that. But the "dressy diver" deff has a place in my rotation!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
We need to realize that in these days of technology, few serious divers rely upon mechanical analog watches.

The mechanical analog watches of today tend to be worn by "desk divers" who occasionally get in the pool or in the surf. Few of us really have a need to track our air supply or depth.

That being said, some of us prefer sporty dive watches like the PO or the Sub but Omega designed the 300 MC to be a nostalgic "desk diver" suitable to be worn on a variety of occasions. The thin bezel and tiny pearl of the '57 original were impractical for divers of the day and grew over time and only reappeared on the 300 MC to remind us of its heritage.

Likewise, the bling of the shinny bezel and PCLs are not practical for serious divers unless one is seeking to catch the eye of a shark or barracuda.

We have to accept the 300 MCs for what they, and for what most of us, are: desk divers. Desk divers want a watch that can be worn on the beach or in the board room. That is the targeted market of the 300 MC.

An automobile accident in 1979 ended my SCUBA diving but I still hang out at, and in, the pool. And glancing down at the 300 MC on my wrist reminds me of time spent in Florida springs and the blue Caribbean.

·
Registered
700 Posts
We have to accept the 300 MCs for what they, and for what most of us, are: desk divers. Desk divers want a watch that can be worn on the beach or in the board room. That is the targeted market of the 300 MC.
I think you are right, I was looking for a less sporty Seamaster, rather than my PO and my SM300 diver, and this I hope will fill the gap.

I have one incoming in a short, hopefully, and have a question for the owners: is it difficult to adjust the bracelet size? Do the screws come from the factory with some loctite glue or whatever that prevents from unscrewing? Any advice welcome!

·
Premium Member
29,999 Posts
I think you are right, I was looking for a less sporty Seamaster, rather than my PO and my SM300 diver, and this I hope will fill the gap.

I have one incoming in a short, hopefully, and have a question for the owners: is it difficult to adjust the bracelet size? Do the screws come from the factory with some loctite glue or whatever that prevents from unscrewing? Any advice welcome!
Bracelet is easy to adjust. Has pin and cap screws. Mine felt like they had small amount of loctite. Quality screwdriver the right size is key in my opinion .

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

No glue - I adjusted it in 5 minutes.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Bracelet is easy to adjust. Has pin and cap screws. Mine felt like they had small amount of loctite. Quality screwdriver the right size is key in my opinion .
Thanks! They say an hair dryer works to heat up the glue and make it easier to unscrew (other option, dip the bracelet in biioling water for a couple of minutes). I was wondering if someone tried.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
I own 7 watches for all occasions but the 300mc has been hogging wrist time like crazy. Been wearing it for a week straight, hasn't happened with any watch for months now :)

That said: I wear it on my B&S strap or the Viscount (been swimming with it several times now). I disagree in two points with some of the comments made above: 1. I still haven't gotten used to the PCLs and probably never will. Not a real problem - I'll just wear it on a strap. 2. This watch is as much at home in the water as it is in an office. I don't go diving yet and it's not a tool diver like the Pelagos, but it doubles as a sports watch and a dress watch without an issue.

For very dressy occasions, I have a Hamilton Intra-Matic. I also have a Speedy Pro on a croc strap (well, I don't have it right now - it's with Omega for a service) that I usually wear for formal occasions. I have a Datejust for casual wear (it's my most comfortable watch) and Submariner, which is my other do-it-all. But lately, I just can't bring myself to take off the 300mc.

·
Premium Member
29,999 Posts
Thanks! They say an hair dryer works to heat up the glue and make it easier to unscrew (other option, dip the bracelet in biioling water for a couple of minutes). I was wondering if someone tried.
Not needed on this one. Like I said just make sure you have quality screwdriver and be firm.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
And can I assume that the Ti version' blue dial is MATTE, not glossy??...correct me, if I'm wrong, but it looked like the Plat version was glossy.

man, how do you decide between SS and Ti (besides cost, of course)...that will be a tough decision for me...any help?
it is a matte dial..

how does one choice the Ti vs SS.. I don't really know!!. I originally ordered the SS but changed my mind and went for the Ti version. I like the blue look, already have a black faced watch and appreciated its lightness. I also managed to get quite a good deal on the Ti. Though I love perving at watches I don't actually purchase many (this is my third in 15 years of which one is a swatch which I use as a beater) so price was not too much of an issue.

So hope this helps..

·
Registered
114 Posts
That's why there are divers like the Planet Ocean which is more "toned down" and casual. If you want a more toned down look... go for that. But the "dressy diver" deff has a place in my rotation!
The fact is that this watch looks good with brushed or polished center links, I just happen to like the 300 MC better with brushed center links. I don't see the 300 MC as a dressy driver, you do and that's fine. As I have said, I have another watch with PCL- the Rolex Yachtmaster with the blue dial. This watch I can see with PCL, it's a dressy diver (like) watch in my opinion.

Mark

201 - 220 of 3827 Posts