WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
4181 - 4200 of 4225 Posts

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Congratulations, Neil!! That's a great acquisition. Perfect fit as well.

I own a first gen 300MC and didn't really connect with this iteration. I liked everything about it except the sandwich dial and the lollipop seconds hand. As I see more and more pictures of it the lollipop hand is growing on me, but I still can't get past the sandwich dial.

Is it something that's very apparent whenever you look at the watch, or are the cutouts only really visible at certain angles? It's difficult to tell from photographs. The lazer cutouts on my 300MC dial don't really show up unless I angle the watch a certain way under direct light.

As concerns the lollipop seconds hand, Im realizing now that it's that style of hand that suits the vintage vibe of the watch best. When I think about what I would replace it with I understand that nothing else would work quite as well.

Enough rambling from me. Congrats on your new watch, and enjoy the honeymoon!

René

A picture for your efforts;

Watch Photograph Analog watch Light Clock

·
Registered
94 Posts

I own a first gen 300MC and didn't really connect with this iteration. I liked everything about it except the sandwich dial and the lollipop seconds hand. As I see more and more pictures of it the lollipop hand is growing on me, but I still can't get past the sandwich dial.

Is it something that's very apparent whenever you look at the watch, or are the cutouts only really visible at certain angles? It's difficult to tell from photographs. The lazer cutouts on my 300MC dial don't really show up unless I angle the watch a certain way under direct light.

As concerns the lollipop seconds hand, Im realizing now that it's that style of hand that suits the vintage vibe of the watch best. When I think about what I would replace it with I understand that nothing else would work quite as well.

René
Congrats to Neil as well! Hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Rene, I don't know about other owners of the new model, but I do find the cutouts for the numbers to be a bit more noticeable than the cutouts for the markers. As long as you're looking with good light then you can always see a bit of a shadow from the upper layer of the sandwich dial. It's something that I love, because it gives the dial a little more depth and more interesting 3D effect, but I get that it's not for everyone.
Have you been able to try one on?

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Congrats to Neil as well! Hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Rene, I don't know about other owners of the new model, but I do find the cutouts for the numbers to be a bit more noticeable than the cutouts for the markers. As long as you're looking with good light then you can always see a bit of a shadow from the upper layer of the sandwich dial. It's something that I love, because it gives the dial a little more depth and more interesting 3D effect, but I get that it's not for everyone.
Have you been able to try one on?
Thanks for the info Chez!

No, I haven't had a chance to see one in the metal yet. The last time I was at my chosen AD was 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't received any yet.

I don't mind the subtle cutouts really. As you say, it adds depth to the dial. However, with the cutouts being more prominent on the new model, for me, I think it will always bring to mind Panerai. Nothing wrong with Panerai, I just don't see a sandwich dial on an OMEGA. Just my own weird eccentricities.

I love that OMEGA are trying out new designs. It will bring more love and attention to the brand. I don't expect to like everything they do, and I don't expect them to change their path to suit me. This is why I love OMEGA.

Thanks again, Chez!

René

·
Registered
83 Posts

René

A picture for your efforts;

View attachment 16236846
Thank you,

Whilst the two watches 300MC2014 and the 300MC2021 look similar they are very different watches. The look is different and the feel on the wrist. The 2014 is high gloss and flat across the crystal, certainly noticeably different here. The differences are the dial face it looks so different its in very flat matt the sandwich dial really works because it gives depth and isn't overly noticeable its very subtle. The lollipop seconds adds to the vintage character and the hands all being in rhodium makes the watch look more dressy, its a minor change but a worth change. The back of the watch sits into the wrist, the text on the back instead of the dial makes the dial feel clean as it should be again another welcome change for me.
Here is the thing most people aren't talking about and that's how the watch wears, Omega nailed it here. When I first tried it on it felt flimsy if I am honest compared to a planet ocean. However that taper means the watch melts away you can move and flex your wrist and the reduced clasp means its less likely to catch and mark over the PO and SMP. Thats what has really surprised me is just how well the watch wears.
I'll take a few more pictures and post them it's not the easiest watch to take pictures off :)

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Thank you,

Whilst the two watches 300MC2014 and the 300MC2021 look similar they are very different watches. The look is different and the feel on the wrist. The 2014 is high gloss and flat across the crystal, certainly noticeably different here. The differences are the dial face it looks so different its in very flat matt the sandwich dial really works because it gives depth and isn't overly noticeable its very subtle. The lollipop seconds adds to the vintage character and the hands all being in rhodium makes the watch look more dressy, its a minor change but a worth change. The back of the watch sits into the wrist, the text on the back instead of the dial makes the dial feel clean as it should be again another welcome change for me.
Here is the thing most people aren't talking about and that's how the watch wears, Omega nailed it here. When I first tried it on it felt flimsy if I am honest compared to a planet ocean. However that taper means the watch melts away you can move and flex your wrist and the reduced clasp means its less likely to catch and mark over the PO and SMP. Thats what has really surprised me is just how well the watch wears.
I'll take a few more pictures and post them it's not the easiest watch to take pictures off :)
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations, Neil. I look forward to those pictures. I'm also looking forward to seeing it in the metal and trying it on real soon. Thanks for taking the time.

Rene

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thanks for the info Chez!

No, I haven't had a chance to see one in the metal yet. The last time I was at my chosen AD was 2 weeks ago, and they hadn't received any yet.

I don't mind the subtle cutouts really. As you say, it adds depth to the dial. However, with the cutouts being more prominent on the new model, for me, I think it will always bring to mind Panerai. Nothing wrong with Panerai, I just don't see a sandwich dial on an OMEGA. Just my own weird eccentricities.

I love that OMEGA are trying out new designs. It will bring more love and attention to the brand. I don't expect to like everything they do, and I don't expect them to change their path to suit me. This is why I love OMEGA.

Thanks again, Chez!

René
That totally makes sense, and I get where you're coming from. I'm relatively new to watches, and while I'm familiar with different brands, I don't really have any thoughts about brands that particularly ingrained, so I didn't even think about Panerai when I first saw the sandwich dial on the 300 haha. Still, it's worth checking out in person! Hope you can see one soon.

Thank you,

I agree that the fit of the new 300 isn't talked about, but makes a huge difference. The combination of the tapered bracelet and the end links with a sharper drop-off just make it incredibly wearable, even for someone with a 6 1/4 inch wrist haha.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Can someone aware me on what you mean by sandwich dial on the new gen?

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
What's cool about these models is they're different enough that you can have both the 2014 & 2021 versions in your collection at the same time. (Can't say that about other popular brands...).

Personally, I think it would be cool to add a blue 2021 to my current black 2014. The current model seems more casual and so it would work in blue for that summer/beach vibe.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
What's cool about these models is they're different enough that you can have both the 2014 & 2021 versions in your collection at the same time. (Can't say that about other popular brands...).

Personally, I think it would be cool to add a blue 2021 to my current black 2014. The current model seems more casual and so it would work in blue for that summer/beach vibe.
Now why did you have to go and say that!?!?:rolleyes:

Rene

·
Registered
3,955 Posts

Hehe which part is contentious?

Anyway, I didn't used to like the new one but I think the blue is quite cool.

Not mine...tho I wish it was
View attachment 16239386
I'm sorry, I meant to highlight the contentious parts, as above. :p Believe it or not, it never even occurred to me to add the new blue to my existing black. I know...rookie mistake.:LOL:

That is a fantastic photo, and it shows me exactly what I'm looking for...that the 3 dimensional effect of the sandwich dial, when viewed head-on, isn't as glaring as I thought. I also have to remind myself that, on wrist, the watch will not appear as large as it does in these photographs, so one would have to look closely to see the depth. UGH!!!:mad:...I'm trying really hard not to like this watch. And you guys aren't helping.

Rene

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I'm sorry, I meant to highlight the contentious parts, as above. :p Believe it or not, it never even occurred to me to add the new blue to my existing black. I know...rookie mistake.:LOL:

That is a fantastic photo, and it shows me exactly what I'm looking for...that the 3 dimensional effect of the sandwich dial, when viewed head-on, isn't as glaring as I thought. I also have to remind myself that, on wrist, the watch will not appear as large as it does in these photographs, so one would have to look closely to see the depth. UGH!!!:mad:...I'm trying really hard not to like this watch. And you guys aren't helping.

Rene
Haha well I suppose it's normal I mean most companies make incremental/unnoticeable changes to their models.

I used to have a Panerai, and the base models look so similar that it doesn't make sense to own 2 of them.

4181 - 4200 of 4225 Posts