WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

521 - 540 of 3832 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks guys for the help. I was arguing with myself whether I should buy or not. Than I found this forum thread…

When i brought my 90s Seamaster in for revision I tried on the 300mc and immediately had to have it. What a nice watch and what a fascinating movement. The bracelet is a little on the shiny side. So I might experiment with others soon.

Here are two pics:

View attachment 4949057

View attachment 4949073
Welcome to the Dark side! May sanity remain with you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
kvny3046.jpg
The Seamaster 300 Master Co-axial with kevlar strap, perfect fit for undercover job.

kvny3055.jpg
It wears big at my 6.5 inch wrist though, even after sizing the bracelet to minimum it's still little bit loose.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Anybody with a 300MC also own a Planet Ocean?

Curious if they feel redundant in your collection, particular if you have a black bezeled Planet Ocean.

Obviously there are a lot of differences but also a lot of similarities. I'm considering adding a Black Bay alongside my Planet Ocean, or I could flip my Planet Ocean and skip the Tudor to get the 300MC. I love my Planet Ocean though and tend to lean heavily towards adding a Black Bay, but I am toying with the idea of a 300MC.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts

Curious if they feel redundant in your collection, particular if you have a black bezeled Planet Ocean.

Obviously there are a lot of differences but also a lot of similarities. I'm considering adding a Black Bay alongside my Planet Ocean, or I could flip my Planet Ocean and skip the Tudor to get the 300MC. I love my Planet Ocean though and tend to lean heavily towards adding a Black Bay, but I am toying with the idea of a 300MC.
I have 2 Planet Oceans and the 300MC.

The 2500 was first - many moons ago. The 8500 was more recent but before I bought it I considered the 300MC.

Honestly I was wrapped around the axle about whether or not the 300MC was too similar to the 2500. My conclusion: while they're both black dialed/bezeled dive watches that's where their similarities end. The reality is they're VERY different.

At the end of the day my only regret is not picking up the 300MC sooner. The POs still get plenty of wrist time. But the 300MC is a special timepiece in its own right.

I really like the Black Bay but for me it's got nothing on the 300MC.

Curious what others think...

Sent from a Payphone

·
Premium Member
30,177 Posts

Currently own 300MC have owned PO8500. I would consider them too similar. I would end up wearing the favorite and the other would stay in the box. IMO also if you have a PO2500 I can not see the reason to have a Black Bay. Maybe a Pelagos or Ranger for difference.
I forget which PO2500 you ended up with but if it has orange bezel then I could see some logic in the other possibilities.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

I have owned Tudor watches before and frankly, the 300mc is in a completely different class (also reflected in price and re-sale value). Nothing against the Black Bay at all - I really like it - but the 300mc is one of the most advanced and versatile watches money can buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
30,177 Posts
I have owned Tudor watches before and frankly, the 300mc is in a completely different class (also reflected in price and re-sale value). Nothing against the Black Bay at all - I really like it - but the 300mc is one of the most advanced and versatile watches money can buy.

well said except not sure on the re-sale value being better % wise.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have the Planet Ocean for versatility though, and I'm not much of a "movement guy" in terms of it being a selling factor. I like watches with personality. I see the similarities of the PO 2201.50 and 300MC in the dial markings/hands, but actually prefer the PO indexes and hands over the 300MC (I also prefer the PO bracelet except for the non-adjustable clasp). I do like the case shape and liquidmetal tech of the 300MC though. That's where it wins for me. I do feel I'd wear my favorite of the two and the other would collect dust.

Pelagos and Ranger are not considerations. Great watches for sure but not my cup of tea honestly.

The Black Bay's red bezel and gilt dial/hands would add diversity to my collection and it's a watch I truly love and want to stare at--even if the build and tech aren't on par with the 300MC.

The Tudor is still my lead horse but I will think hard on the 300MC before pulling the trigger. This thread continually reaffirms that it has to be in the running.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
well said except not sure on the re-sale value being better % wise.
Tudor has pretty low re-sale value from my experience. You easily lose 50% the minute you leave the AD. Could be a regional issue, though - the brand is basically unheard of here, despite it having been available continuously since the 70s or so in Switzerland.

·
Premium Member
30,177 Posts
Tudor has pretty low re-sale value from my experience. You easily lose 50% the minute you leave the AD. Could be a regional issue, though - the brand is basically unheard of here, despite it having been available continuously since the 70s or so in Switzerland.

I sold my pelagos and lost about 10% of what I paid for it. I suspect if I sold my 300 right now I would lose 21% of what I paid for it. (considered selling but that stopped me).
That was what I was basing my statement on.
Also just personal experience in US, I can get a bigger % discount on Omega new than Tudor.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I sold my pelagos and lost about 10% of what I paid for it. I suspect if I sold my 300 right now I would lose 21% of what I paid for it. (considered selling but that stopped me).
Also just personal experience in US, I can get a bigger % discount on Omega new than Tudor.
Bought my Heritage Chrono Blue for 4200 CHF and got 2200 for it 3 months later :-/

·
Registered
395 Posts

Where I come from, Tudor will not lose 50%. But that's provided There's an actual buyer. If it comes with the new in-house, try looking for a used one in the coming months. If it's new, I think it's better to stay away.

My 2 cts

·
Registered
395 Posts
I bought my 300 MC used. 6 months set from AD. The owner paid 8% off list price.
I bought it for about $4K. Not the cheapest but considering it not so commonly seen.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Where I come from, Tudor will not lose 50%. But that's provided There's an actual buyer. If it comes with the new in-house, try looking for a used one in the coming months. If it's new, I think it's better to stay away.

My 2 cts
Yeah, that's the issue - here the accepted brands are Tissot, Rolex and Omega, perhaps also Rado and Longines. Anything else plain and simple doesn't sell. One would think that the Swiss are better educated about their watch industry, but that's simply not the case. There aren't many Tudor ADs and Tudor doesn't seem to advertise, so 99% of the population has never heard of the brand.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
I bought my 300 MC used. 6 months set from AD. The owner paid 8% off list price.
I bought it for about $4K. Not the cheapest but considering it not so commonly seen.
That's an excellent deal - I rarely see 300mcs anywhere below 4500-5000 in very good condition

521 - 540 of 3832 Posts