WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

601 - 620 of 3832 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Does anybody know what the correct spring bar is for the Seamaster 300MC? I've ordered the oem nato for it and wanted to pick up some spare spring bars just for peace of mind. I've looked on ofrei.com but couldn't match up any that would fit it? Just wondering if anybody on here has purchased any. Many thanks Leighton

Sent from my SM-T531 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I don't think I'm a Rolex guy, either. I think they're great watches, but they are a status symbol, which I don't need.

A Rolex guy wants others to see their watch, and think "expensive." Or maybe "Success." My brother is a salesman, so I can understand his desire to own a Rolex, especially when he can earn one as a sales incentive.

I'm not in sales, and I'm not a lawyer or an executive, so I don't really need or want to wear a watch as a status symbol. No one really comments on my watches, but if they did, I'd want them to think, "that's really nice" or "that's a beautiful watch", not "that's really expensive."

·
Registered
395 Posts
Does anybody know what the correct spring bar is for the Seamaster 300MC? I've ordered the oem nato for it and wanted to pick up some spare spring bars just for peace of mind. I've looked on ofrei.com but couldn't match up any that would fit it? Just wondering if anybody on here has purchased any. Many thanks Leighton

i bought a pair from Ofrei. its just the 21mm. Looks exactly the same as the original.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't think I'm a Rolex guy, either. I think they're great watches, but they are a status symbol, which I don't need.

A Rolex guy wants others to see their watch, and think "expensive." Or maybe "Success." My brother is a salesman, so I can understand his desire to own a Rolex, especially when he can earn one as a sales incentive.

I'm not in sales, and I'm not a lawyer or an executive, so I don't really need or want to wear a watch as a status symbol. No one really comments on my watches, but if they did, I'd want them to think, "that's really nice" or "that's a beautiful watch", not "that's really expensive."
Don't quite agree on the Rolex guy wanting to see their watches part. LOL I'm a Rolex guy, love them for their reliability, easy to service (my part of the world). Where I come from, Rolex is like a common brand. you can see it everywhere. PP or Rm is the Grail watch.

I would buy any watch I like and enjoy wearing it, don't give a damn about what others think at all!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I think where you live and the circles you are in play a part. I work in IT in an office environment. Rolexes are still head-turners here, and invite comments about their expense.

On the other hand, all of my wife's aunts and uncles in Malaysia wear Rolex. It is common there... but it is still a status symbol.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Glad I'm not the only one anaplian. I just prefer to fly a little more under the radar. Granted few if any would probably notice, but I just can't connect with the brand. It doesn't fit who I am.
Don't worry - it soon will. It always does :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Sorry, but now you're just repeating stuff you've read elsewhere.

I wear Rolex because:

1. I like their watch design
2. They're built like a tank - every single one of them. They're very robust watches.
3. They all have high water-resistance ratings, even dressier options like the Datejust
4. They're, in general, more accurate than most other brands
5. Rolex has servicing times that are half of what Omega offers (5-6 weeks vs 10-12 weeks)
6. I don't have to baby them because I know that even if I badly mess up a Rolex, it'll be returned to me looking like new after a service.
7. They offer value retention that's unmatched by pretty much any brand out there.

I fail to see how a 5600$ 300mc is less of a 'status symbol' than a 6000$ Rolex Explorer I.

With Omega's recent price hike, they're equally expensive as Rolex. The '57 costs over 8 grand here - for the same price I can get a Submariner.

If you want to fly under the radar, you don't buy Omega. You buy Hamilton or Tissot.

Anyway: back on topic: still looking for a NIB 300mc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I'm not just repeating what I've read, but I probably did generalize. When I said "a Rolex guy", I did not mean all Rolex owners.

Especially not those on this forum. I think ALL of the reasons you gave above for why you wear Rolex are awesome. But most Rolex wearers I know don't buy them for those reasons, except maybe #1 and #7.

A $5600 Omega flies under the radar moreso than a Rolex, at least in my work environment and social circle. Most people I meet would have no idea that it's nearly that expensive. They might think it is priced about like a Tag you can pick up at Costco. So, it's not nearly the status symbol of a Rolex.

Look, I really have nothing against Rolex owners. I think they are great watches. I'm just saying that I wouldn't feel comfortable with the attention it would get, and I would not get the same attention with an Omega, unless I run into someone that knows something about watches and would appreciate it for the right reasons.

Speaking of the Omega, any of ya'll have the Omega leather strap with deployant for this watch? Thoughts?

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm not just repeating what I've read, but I probably did generalize. When I said "a Rolex guy", I did not mean all Rolex owners.

Especially not those on this forum. I think ALL of the reasons you gave above for why you wear Rolex are awesome. But most Rolex wearers I know don't buy them for those reasons, except maybe #1 and #7.

A $5600 Omega flies under the radar moreso than a Rolex, at least in my work environment and social circle. Most people I meet would have no idea that it's nearly that expensive. They might think it is priced about like a Tag you can pick up at Costco. So, it's not nearly the status symbol of a Rolex.

Look, I really have nothing against Rolex owners. I think they are great watches. I'm just saying that I wouldn't feel comfortable with the attention it would get, and I would not get the same attention with an Omega, unless I run into someone that knows something about watches and would appreciate it for the right reasons.

Speaking of the Omega, any of ya'll have the Omega leather strap with deployant for this watch? Thoughts?
scroll backwards. There are a few pics with the original strap and deployment

·
Registered
108 Posts
i bought a pair from Ofrei. its just the 21mm. Looks exactly the same as the original.
Thanks that's great. I was only looking on the Omega spring bar page. So I'll just buy these "Swiss Made 1.8 mm Thick Double Flange 21 mm Spring Bar"?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks that's great. I was only looking on the Omega spring bar page. So I'll just buy these "Swiss Made 1.8 mm Thick Double Flange 21 mm Spring Bar"?

OME-SPRING-BAR-05
$3.73 each, 10 or more $2.73 each

This is the one. I'm still using the one that came with the watch. This is a spare.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
scroll backwards. There are a few pics with the original strap and deployment
He he. Believe me, I've read this thread forwards and backwards. Realized that no one here liked my Rolex comments, so tried to put it back on topic.

Most everything about this watch has been covered, but did not really see comments on the Omega strap and deployant. Just pictures. I know what they look like, having visited the boutique twice this month. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
OME-SPRING-BAR-05
$3.73 each, 10 or more $2.73 each

This is the one. I'm still using the one that came with the watch. This is a spare.
Thanks that's a great help, much appreciated

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi guys,

got my SM300 about 1,5 months ago and I couldn't be happier with it. In fact, there is no other way to describe it than just saying it's perfect. This is the first watch I've ever seen which I wouldn't change in any way.

Wanted to give my pros and cons list of the watch:

PROS:
  • Domed sapphire. I've always loved them and this one makes no exception.
  • Cream-colored indices. Gives the watch a really distinct look and separates it from the too-modern-for-my-liking look of AT and PO.
  • The subtleness of the dial and especially the Omega-logo. No blingy metallic parts to shine.
  • White second hand. I love the contrast that is created between it and the indices.
  • No date on dial. Gives the dial perfect harmony and balance.
  • Simple typography on the dial. Not too many fonts, which sadly is very common in many watches.
  • No 'automatic' text on the dial.
  • The lack of AR coating on the outer side of the sapphire. The gloss is just beautiful together with the bezel and also it prevents the ugly look of a scratched AR.
  • Perfect case size for my wrist, not too big and not too small, just perfect.
  • Quick adjustment bracelet. I use it all the time as I've always had the problem of sometimes wanting the bracelet to be a bit loose and sometimes quite snug.
  • Polished center links. I love the way they make the watch a bit more dressy and also they complement the gloss of the sapphire and bezel nicely.
  • The angular look of the case. I've always disliked to roundness of the PO case and bracelet.
  • The hour-hand quick adjustment for time zones. Just perfect when you travel.
  • The contrast of the vintage-look front and the modern state-of-the-art look of the back.
  • Anti-magnetic and accurate movement. I really love knowing that the movement is pretty much the best there is on the market in this price range. My watch has been accurate to +2 seconds during this 1,5 month period.

CONS:
  • Has completely killed my interest in any other watches. I've sold my whole collection of after getting this and for the first time ever, I don't have any watches that I would even consider buying. So essentially, it has killed my watch hobby ;)

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

That could be true - there are certain circles (like the banking scene in Zurich) where you need to have a Rolex to "belong".
I'm a bit worried about Omega's recent price policy - their co-ax offerings are really in the same price-category as Rolex - perhaps deservedly so, as the movements are really top-notch, but nevertheless: I believe the image or Omega as a good bang for the buck company is breaking down and people will view them the same as Rolex.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Has completely killed my interest in any other watches. I've sold my whole collection of after getting this and for the first time ever, I don't have any watches that I would even consider buying. So essentially, it has killed my watch hobby ;)
You should write a letter of complaint to Omega :)

601 - 620 of 3832 Posts