WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 3832 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Some of the pictures of fakes that I've seen show a watch that is disturbingly good, but with a few tells. One in particular seems to be the orientation of the movement itself. You can tell by looking at the orientation of the winding barrels with respect to the crown. Both pictures below are borrowed, as I'm not wearing mine today. In the first picture, which is fake, Barrel 1 is closer to the crown than it is in the real one below. Also, the serial number is engraved facing inward on the fake. I believe the serial number on a real one is facing outward. And the material designation (like "Stainless Steel") should be engraved on the opposite lug (obscured in the fake picture), also facing outward if my memory is correct.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I posted this in another forum a few weeks ago. It might be helpful for some members here as well;

Short summary on how to spot a fake Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial:

- the crown on the fake is brushed and not polished as on the gen. CAUTION; I've already seen fakes with brushed crowns. Nevertheless, the Omega symbol on the crown was bigger than the one on the gen.
- the metal between the case and the bezel is brushed on the fake and not polished as on the gen
- the serial number on the lug is upside down compared to the gen
- the serial number on the case appears not to be consecutively numbered (it's always the same number) - 88510199
- the serial number on the movement appears not to be consecutively numbered (it's always the same number) - 85243048
- serial number on case and movement don't mach (contrary to the gen obviously)
- the link next to the end link (on both sides) is engraved with the ref. number of the bracelet "STZ001145" (for the steel bracelet) on the gen, not so on the fake
- there is no Omega engraving + again the ref. nr. of the bracelet engraved on the bottom side of the clasp-mechanism (where the little pin is) on the fake as contrary to the gen. CAUTION! - I've seen fakes where the clasp showed some sort of engravement.
- there is no "stainless steal" engraving on the 7 o'clock lug on the fake compared to the gen
- the movement in the fake is a Myota 8215 which is supposed to look like a 8400 - but of course, it doesn't. (the calibre is put into a steel case which looks like a 8400) The most noticeable differenc; the Myota has its balance wheel on the 7 to 8 o'clock position compared to the balance wheel on the 8400 which is on the 6 o'clock position. The balance wheel on the 8400 is black due to its use of silicon and not "gold" as on the Myota. Again CAUTION; it seems as if some producers of fakes now use Eta 7750 calibers.
- the lume on the fake isn't correct - its all blue, including the bezel pearl. On the original the lume on the minute hand and on the pearl is greenish. (Some say that the fake-factories improved on that point, but I haven't seen a correct fake yet).
- on the fake, the inner metal ring (the ring between the bezel and the crystal) isn't flush with the bezel - it "pops out" a bit so that there is a "gap" between the ring and bezel.

As the
manufacturers of fake watches are constantly "improving" their products the above mentioned tells might change!

Cheers,

okumonux

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Wow, awesome observations of differences. So, it seems easy enough to spot the differences if you know what to look out for, but keep in mind the counterfeiters may release updated versions of their fakes.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
@julywest, looks good. How do you like it?

I think the PCLs look really good on this watch, but I went with the Spectre and the brushed bracelet because I didn't know if I could live easily with the inevitable scratched PCLs. Still, I almost pulled the trigger on the standard version of the watch, and I had decided NOT to get them brushed immediately. Figured I would wear it as is and could always get the brushing done later. I guess that's basically what you did.

Awesome that it didn't take long, and didn't cost anything!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thanks so much for all the advice! I've gotten some pictures from the extremely nice gentleman who is selling the watch.

The serial numbers on the case, movement and cards match up.

He has done authentication at the local Omega Service Centre and has offered a full refund if my authentication at the Omega Service Centre doesn't check out.

Here are more pictures.

I am pretty confident that I will be a proud owner of a SM300 soon but any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: jmsrolls

·
Premium Member
30,177 Posts
@julywest, looks good. How do you like it?

I think the PCLs look really good on this watch, but I went with the Spectre and the brushed bracelet because I didn't know if I could live easily with the inevitable scratched PCLs. Still, I almost pulled the trigger on the standard version of the watch, and I had decided NOT to get them brushed immediately. Figured I would wear it as is and could always get the brushing done later. I guess that's basically what you did.

Awesome that it didn't take long, and didn't cost anything!
thx. I bought back in June and wore on bracelet for couple of months then switched to canvas. Put the bracelet on from time to time but as the PCLs scratched up nicely I liked it less and less. So decided it was time. I now believe it looks better so I am now in the brushed camp. The center link is so wide that whatever they are is essentially what the bracelet is also.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
thx. I bought back in June and wore on bracelet for couple of months then switched to canvas. Put the bracelet on from time to time but as the PCLs scratched up nicely I liked it less and less. So decided it was time. I now believe it looks better so I am now in the brushed camp. The center link is so wide that whatever they are is essentially what the bracelet is also.
I think Omega must have cottoned onto this that brushed was best. That's why the SPECTRE version was issued without PcL's not that many owners will user them preferring the screen accurate NATO instead but the thought was there. Funny thing is I may swap out the 007 clasp to preserve it so will end up with the same configuration as you but from the opposite side

Funny old world

Cheers :)

The name is Bond, Basildon Bond I have letters after my name

·
Premium Member
30,177 Posts
I think Omega must have cottoned onto this that brushed was best. That's why the SPECTRE version was issued without PcL's not that many owners will user them preferring the screen accurate NATO instead but the thought was there. Funny thing is I may swap out the 007 clasp to preserve it so will end up with the same configuration as you but from the opposite side

Funny old world

Cheers :)

The name is Bond, Basildon Bond I have letters after my name
Yes I think you are right. It's hard to imagine Bond wearing a bracelet that would reflect sun like a signal.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Thanks so much for all the advice! I've gotten some pictures from the extremely nice gentleman who is selling the watch.

The serial numbers on the case, movement and cards match up.

He has done authentication at the local Omega Service Centre and has offered a full refund if my authentication at the Omega Service Centre doesn't check out.

Here are more pictures.

I am pretty confident that I will be a proud owner of a SM300 soon but any thoughts?

I am no expert but it looks real to me. The movement looks like the real deal..

GOOD luck

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Looks good to me as well. The only thing I'm not quite sure about is the box - don't get me wrong, It might be a genuine Omega Box - but the Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial was delivered with the red box until a month or two ago. Nowadays it is the delivered in a bright wooden box. Check the link;http://uhrforum.de/attachments/1131117d1434639740-neue-omega-holzbox-ab-august-proxy-1.jpeg
+1 Watch ok and box original but usually the SM300MCA came with the standard red letherette box (and now the new box as said above). By the way that dark wooden box was a more "prestigious" model, so it may have been a special attention for the buyer. Check you have all the spare links if same had been removed by previous owner.

·
Registered
187 Posts
@pk_diver So does that mean I got a little special something? :) The dark red wooden box is pretty nice!

Thanks all for your help! Special shoutout to @Archer for his non-public help!

Hopefully pics will follow soon. Pretty pleased with my new toy. ;p

981 - 1000 of 3832 Posts