WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm considering getting one of these two watches. I always loved the Seamaster 300 Professional, but have always been put off by the 20mm non taper bracelet.

The GMT version also seems thicker than regular SMP bond watches with the caliber 2500. Has someone here tried the GMT and other SMP versions (ceramic, caliber 2500, or even the latest 42mm SMPs) ?

I'm also thinking of the Bell & Ross. I really like the design, even though it will not keep as much value as the Omega. The prices for used watches are about 1000$ in favor of Bell & Ross.

Thought?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I would go for the SMP. As much as I love the look of the Bell and Ross youll never get rid of it if youre a flipper. There are plenty of bargains on them at the moment though which are tempting but that "saving" wont be much help long term. Are you referring to the planet ocean GMT? If so, every variant of the PO is thick. Even the 39mm version. The current gen SMP is a fairly chunky watch but the lugs taper down slightly so its fairly easy to wear for a 42mm case. You also have the rubber strap option if youre not keen on the bracelet. Performance wise, I would say the Omega will have the edge over the B&R as well.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would go for the SMP. As much as I love the look of the Bell and Ross youll never get rid of it if youre a flipper. There are plenty of bargains on them at the moment though which are tempting but that "saving" wont be much help long term. Are you referring to the planet ocean GMT? If so, every variant of the PO is thick. Even the 39mm version. The current gen SMP is a fairly chunky watch but the lugs taper down slightly so its fairly easy to wear for a 42mm case. You also have the rubber strap option if youre not keen on the bracelet. Performance wise, I would say the Omega will have the edge over the B&R as well.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes I agree the PO are too thick unfortunately. I meant the SMP 300 ref. 2535.80.00. It was made around 2006-2010. But I can never find information on it's thickness. I think it must be a bit thicker than the regular SMP as it has a display case back.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I tried that watch on when it was in stores and the dial looked weird to my eyes but it was quite a thick watch. Definitely thicker than the seamaster of that period. If youre looking for a seamaster GMT, this version has a nice low profile case. https://www.chronext.co.uk/omega/se...bCqjXLwptnnNzWRoYdIlNh-rR6Kb20TRoCcQQQAvD_BwE Not recommending you buy this. It was the first one that came up in my search. If youre looking for a 2535.80.00 ive seen them going for pretty good prices as they weren't particularly popular.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Probably not much help because I havent tried the 2353.80.00 but, the difference between the previous SMP GMT 50th anni. and the current SMP 42mm is almost night and day. I thought the GMT was chunky until my SO got me a new SMP for Christmas. Now the GMT feels much thinner. Still I love them both on my 6.75" wrist. Pics just because...

·
Registered
Ω Omega Seamaster Professional Co Axial GMT
76 Posts
Absolutely love my SMP GMT. Doesn't sit too high on the wrist (14mm) I believe but it's such a joy to wear. The bracelet is the most comfy and rivals the quality of the rolex bracelets imo. You won't regret if you go with the Omega. Can't add much in terms of the Bell & Ross.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Absolutely love my SMP GMT. Doesn't sit too high on the wrist (14mm) I believe but it's such a joy to wear. The bracelet is the most comfy and rivals the quality of the rolex bracelets imo. You won't regret if you go with the Omega. Can't add much in terms of the Bell & Ross.
View attachment 15652072
It does look great, and Omega is Omega. I went for the B&R blue dial version, mostly for the much cheaper price, slimmer profile and taper bracelet.

If I get to see one SMP GMT in person at some point and decide it's not too think I'll definitely buy it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts