WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

a quick question - given a choice is the Vintage Seamaster 300 more desirable with or without the date - and why?

I think they have different movements - is one more collectable

I am looking at non-military

Best regards

Mark

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
Personal choice, but I prefer the non-date version because it has a cleaner look. The date version tends to remind me of the modern 2254.50 Seamaster...with a dash of Planet Ocean thrown in.
More importantly, I think, is the screw down crown model which can be identified by the round-ended crown as opposed to the flat crown models. However, I don't personally own a Seamaster 300 (yet) so it's probably best to ask those on this forum who actually have them.
Don't worry, MarkEg, they'll show themselves soon enough.

teeritz

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hi all

a quick question - given a choice is the Vintage Seamaster 300 more desirable with or without the date - and why?

I think they have different movements - is one more collectable

I am looking at non-military

Best regards

Mark
Well--teeritz said the SM 300 people would show themselves so I'll start the parade.:)

I own both. I don't have a clear preference, though the non-date would probably win by a small margin.:think:

My non-date has a 562 movement with a push-pull crown that is smaller than the screw down crown on the date version. It looks better (to me, anyway) but I don't think I'd feel comfortable using it as a dive watch. The bezel turns both ways and does not have any resistance or "click" mechanism--yet another reason to NOT use this for diving because the bezel could be moved easily. Omega rehabed ths one completely.

The date version (obviously) has the date and uses the 565 movement with a screw down crown. I don't "need" the date but I seem to be lost without it so I gravitate to watches with a date feature. Otherwise it is identical in appearance to the non-date. Mine has a black date wheel with white numbers so it is not noticable.

The non-date is probably more sought after, but that's just an educated guess. I'd say they were equal in value in terms of selling them. If you are undecided, I'd lean towards the non-date.

Now---pictures!!:-!

NON DATE

DATE

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow those are really nice pictures, and thanks for the information.

I will let you know when mine arrives - it has a date, I like the look without, but do find the date useful.

Best regards

Mark

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Finally arrived-
I still need to remove the protection from the back..

Best regards

Mark

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Still love those things

Finally arrived-
I still need to remove the protection from the back..

Best regards

Mark
Fantastic, Mark! Congrats. I still think the "watchcos" are an excellent combination of modern utility and classic styling. You just made me miss mine.

Enjoy!

eric

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: He He

how come that you call those watches Vintage.:) :)

He He yourself PerKe

I guess it depends on your point of view – if it worries you let’s just call it a Seamaster 300

I have seen old damaged watches come back from Omega with all new parts, in my mind this is a similar process.

This is how Watchco describe the watches

Overall Condition of Case: Excellent New Old Stock.
Overall Condition of Dial: Excellent New Old Stock.
Overall Condition of Movement:Appears Excellent.
Overall Condition of Bracelet: Excellent New Old Stock.

Notes: 100% Original Omega. We have restored this watch fitting NEW Case, Bracelet, Dial, Hands to new condition

I looked at "vintage" - but was a bit worried about fakes, and I also wanted a watch with new lume rather than faded - Of course some parts may be new rather than NOS - but they are at least Omega.

Cheers

Mark

·
Registered
311 Posts
Re: He He

He He yourself PerKe

I guess it depends on your point of view – if it worries you let’s just call it a Seamaster 300

I have seen old damaged watches come back from Omega with all new parts, in my mind this is a similar process.

This is how Watchco describe the watches

Overall Condition of Case: Excellent New Old Stock.
Overall Condition of Dial: Excellent New Old Stock.
Overall Condition of Movement:Appears Excellent.
Overall Condition of Bracelet: Excellent New Old Stock.

Notes: 100% Original Omega. We have restored this watch fitting NEW Case, Bracelet, Dial, Hands to new condition

I looked at "vintage" - but was a bit worried about fakes, and I also wanted a watch with new lume rather than faded - Of course some parts may be new rather than NOS - but they are at least Omega.

Cheers

Mark
Hi Mark--
GREAT choice.:-! Mine are "vintage" enough for me too.:-D
regards, Elton

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi, please note that caliber 562 is original with date feature without quick set, so yours is maybe 552.

Best regards

Well--teeritz said the SM 300 people would show themselves so I'll start the parade.:)

I own both. I don't have a clear preference, though the non-date would probably win by a small margin.:think:

My non-date has a 562 movement with a push-pull crown that is smaller than the screw down crown on the date version. It looks better (to me, anyway) but I don't think I'd feel comfortable using it as a dive watch. The bezel turns both ways and does not have any resistance or "click" mechanism--yet another reason to NOT use this for diving because the bezel could be moved easily. Omega rehabed ths one completely.

The date version (obviously) has the date and uses the 565 movement with a screw down crown. I don't "need" the date but I seem to be lost without it so I gravitate to watches with a date feature. Otherwise it is identical in appearance to the non-date. Mine has a black date wheel with white numbers so it is not noticable.

The non-date is probably more sought after, but that's just an educated guess. I'd say they were equal in value in terms of selling them. If you are undecided, I'd lean towards the non-date.

Now---pictures!!:-!

NON DATE

DATE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts