WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I got a Seamaster 300m in July from a local watch dealer. I paid about $4k for it. I go back and forth on whether I like it or not. The same dealer now has a Tudor Pelagos for about $3800.

I feel like if I went back and tried to trade the Seamaster for the Pelagos, they will probably say yes. I see the used Seamasters for about $4200 on there now. It is a full set and looks brand new.

Would that be a good trade to make? I've also not owned any titanium watches. What is that like? Also, my biggest gripe about the Seamaster is the dang bracelet!!! I love the face of the watch, the technology behind it but can't stand the bracelet. Am I better off with going with a different bracelet? I've heard that Omega rubber straps are sort of hard to find, are there any metal bracelets that are OEM that don't look so 90s???

Pics for detail and attention. They are not mine, just got them off google but these are the watches.

718Rr7q14eL._AC_UL1500_.jpg
Omega-Seamaster-Diver-300M-SMP-Baselworld-2018-5.jpg

·
Registered
154 Posts
I don’t think any dealer would trade those two 1-for-1 so if you traded the seamaster you’re likely looking at seamaster+cash for the tudor.

If you really want to swap 1-for-1 you’re better off selling the seamaster in a private sale and buying the tudor outright.

I agree with you on the bracelet- just couldn’t ever get it to feel right on my wrist so off went the seamaster. Owned a blue pelagos for almost a year now and dont really miss the seamaster that much.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I would go with the Seamaster personally. If the Pelagos came in a smaller/thinner case I would definitely consider it as I really like the dial design with the square indices and snowflake hour hand.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t think any dealer would trade those two 1-for-1 so if you traded the seamaster you’re likely looking at seamaster+cash for the tudor.

If you really want to swap 1-for-1 you’re better off selling the seamaster in a private sale and buying the tudor outright.

I agree with you on the bracelet- just couldn’t ever get it to feel right on my wrist so off went the seamaster. Owned a blue pelagos for almost a year now and dont really miss the seamaster that much.
How is the titanium? Does it scratch a lot? I don’t mind it being used but I don’t want normal day to day use to cause crazy scratches. Asking as total noob to titanium!

·
Registered
154 Posts
How is the titanium? Does it scratch a lot? I don’t mind it being used but I don’t want normal day to day use to cause crazy scratches. Asking as total noob to titanium!
i'm probably not the best person to ask about scratches but i don't really notice mine too much. I wear it on rubber 90% of the time and most of the scratching is on the clasp

·
Registered
235 Posts
Not sure if you don’t like the bracelet bc of aesthetic or comfort? If just aesthetic I would honestly live with it rather than go through the pain of a trade in.

·
Registered
832 Posts
in older models the 3-link (aqua terra or speedmaster) and 5-link bracelets have been interchangable in my experience but i dont know if that is true across all models.

if that is an option, it would improve the look of the watch. The SMP's are great but I too dislike the bond bracelet.

·
Premium Member
2,271 Posts
I owned and wore a Pelagos LHD for about three years. The titanium takes scratches about the same as stainless steel, in my estimation. Where it differs is in the appearance or contrast of scuffing/scratching. Titanium takes on a slightly darker patina as it forms a surface oxidation layer and when you rub that off with a scratch or abrasion, you see the contrast between the lighter underlayer and the oxidized surface. It's just the way untreated titanium looks and ages. And as another poster remarked, the clasp showed most of the physical scratching due to my desk diving.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I think it depends a lot on what kind of person you are and what kind of watch you want to wear. The Omega is more of a dress+sport watch, vs the Pelagos which is a tool+sport watch. Of course, once you start wearing it, you might change your mind. I used to think I wasn't into the shiny watches, but my current daily wear for approaching 2 years is a super shiny watch, so the true test might be to wear it for a while.

For me personally, the SMP's 10 o'clock HEV valve is a design monstrosity and between the two, I'd be on the Pelagos (especially the LHD version) like a hungry cat on a can of tuna, but that's just me.

Reactions: srpatx

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
You are not going to get a 1-1 trade for these unless the Pelagos is used. Personally, I find the bracelet design and comfort to be poor on the Omega and the overall size has gone one step too far and too bling as well IMO. If you still like the watch, maybe try one of those Shark mesh style bracelets? Those are quite comfy.

Omega rubber straps are not hard to find, they are just expensive because the clasp is also very pricey. I think last I checked the set was $400+, but there are lots of aftermarket options.

Definitely prefer the Pelagos overall but about the only reason I haven't bought one yet after numerous trials and exchanges etc is the thickness. It just sits like a hockey puck on the wrist

·
Registered
244 Posts

Why not just swap the bracelet to one more to one's liking especially if everything else is outstanding to the owner. It's what I would do unless the bracelet that comes with the watch must go together as it meant to be to be right. Idk

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi folks,

I got a Seamaster 300m in July from a local watch dealer. I paid about $4k for it. I go back and forth on whether I like it or not. The same dealer now has a Tudor Pelagos for about $3800.

I feel like if I went back and tried to trade the Seamaster for the Pelagos, they will probably say yes. I see the used Seamasters for about $4200 on there now. It is a full set and looks brand new.

Would that be a good trade to make? I've also not owned any titanium watches. What is that like? Also, my biggest gripe about the Seamaster is the dang bracelet!!! I love the face of the watch, the technology behind it but can't stand the bracelet. Am I better off with going with a different bracelet? I've heard that Omega rubber straps are sort of hard to find, are there any metal bracelets that are OEM that don't look so 90s???

Pics for detail and attention. They are not mine, just got them off google but these are the watches.

View attachment 15451965 View attachment 15451966
The Omega is much better looking. More iconic.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I would go with the Seamaster personally. If the Pelagos came in a smaller/thinner case I would definitely consider it as I really like the dial design with the square indices and snowflake hour hand.
The Pelagos is more heavy duty in the Sea-Dweller category. The Seamaster 300 is comparable to the Black Bay 58 but obviously not available else the OP would have mentioned it instead.

·
Registered
351 Posts
The Pelagos is more heavy duty in the Sea-Dweller category. The Seamaster 300 is comparable to the Black Bay 58 but obviously not available else the OP would have mentioned it instead.

Yeah I was going to suggest the BB58, but figured OP was not interested in it since he did not mention it. What I would really love is for Tudor to release the Pelagos (particularly the LHD variant) in a case size similar to the BB58.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
For what it’s worth, if the Pelagos wasn’t so chunky I would own one today. I have tried it on several times and the black looks fantastic.

I believe the SMP to have better finish and thus more refined, but of course that is subjective and another opinion.

As mentioned - I would get a different bracelet if you like the watch but dislike the bracelet. You aren’t missing out.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts