WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new (less than one year old) SMP 300 (210.32.42.20.04.001, white dial) with a stem problem. I've been noticing the last several weeks as I set the time that it is difficult to engage the stem to screw it down after setting the time. Well, today, it won't engage at all--I can't screw in the stem.

It's almost as if the threaded part of the stem has migrated into the case somehow.

Anybody experience this? I'm going to call the AD today and talk to the watch guy and see what my options are. I suspect it's going back for a service.

·
Registered
Bremont S300 and Alt1-p2, Tudor BB58 and Royal Airking, Seamaster, Tag AR & F1, Breitling Superocean
1,079 Posts
I have a new (less than one year old) SMP 300 (210.32.42.20.04.001, white dial) with a stem problem. I've been noticing the last several weeks as I set the time that it is difficult to engage the stem to screw it down after setting the time. Well, today, it won't engage at all--I can't screw in the stem.

It's almost as if the threaded part of the stem has migrated into the case somehow.

Anybody experience this? I'm going to call the AD today and talk to the watch guy and see what my options are. I suspect it's going back for a service.
Can you take a pic of the case tube thread ??
Usually the thread in the crown strips but not always.
It's still under warranty anyway isn't it

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Is that watch functioning okay? It does seem like the crown has locked onto the screw and has unthreaded it. I am no watchmaker so someone like Archer will be ablel to shed more light. Having said that, I'd send it for repairs since its under warranty.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
It appears you are correct that the threaded tube has been pushed into the case somehow. Very odd. Whatever the cause, it should go to Omega under warranty so they can fix it.

Like someone stated above, @Archer can probably help explain what's wrong

·
Premium Member
6,670 Posts

I had a stem issue with my AT Worldtimer. Not the same problem, but my issue was that when I unscrewed the crown and started to wind the watch, the quick-set hour hand would engage without my pulling out the crown to position 1.

I contacted my AD immediately and they got it sorted for me with a brand new watch directly from Omega. Apparently, some of the earlier production year Worldtimers had this short-stem issue.

I hope your issue is rectified as cleanly as mine was!

·
Premium Member
49,981 Posts
I had this happen once (another brand), but the exact same thing occurred. The threads somehow worked their way down in the case, at least in a partial manner, and would not allow the crown to set properly.

One week and $125 later, my watchmaker fixed it, so it should be something that Omega or the AD can correct as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize that. When trying to get the threads to engage have you tried turning the crown counter-clockwise first to see if you can feel a little click when the threads align?? Not sure if you'll actually feel anything, but it may help to do a bit of CCW turning first, then reverse to CW and see if the threads have engaged.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ah, I didn't realize that. When trying to get the threads to engage have you tried turning the crown counter-clockwise first to see if you can feel a little click when the threads align?? Not sure if you'll actually feel anything, but it may help to do a bit of CCW turning first, then reverse to CW and see if the threads have engaged.
I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
9,621 Posts
The case tube looks exactly as it should. The threads are on the inside of the case tube (where they are protected from dust and dirt) rather than on the outside.

If the crown is no longer threading down properly, it's possible that the threads have been stripped by cross threading. They then look like this:

If so, it will have to go to Omega, and I wouldn't expect that to be covered under warranty.

Cheers, Al

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If the crown is no longer threading down properly, it's possible that the threads have been stripped by cross threading. They then look like this:

If so, it will have to go to Omega, and I wouldn't expect that to be covered under warranty.
I've been wearing screw down crown watches daily for the last 40 years without incident, one Rolex, one Omega so IMO it doesn't seem that hard to perform that operation without stripping the threads. But, it also seems to me that unscrewing a crown and screwing it back in again is a common enough practice that the design should be such that the threads engage reliably every time without requiring any special technique to ensure they've engaged properly. In other words, unless the user is extremely careless it would seem to me that stripped threads are more indicative of a sub-optimum design, rather than user error, so I'd be upset if it wasn't covered by warranty.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts