WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize that. When trying to get the threads to engage have you tried turning the crown counter-clockwise first to see if you can feel a little click when the threads align?? Not sure if you'll actually feel anything, but it may help to do a bit of CCW turning first, then reverse to CW and see if the threads have engaged.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
If the crown is no longer threading down properly, it's possible that the threads have been stripped by cross threading. They then look like this:

If so, it will have to go to Omega, and I wouldn't expect that to be covered under warranty.
I've been wearing screw down crown watches daily for the last 40 years without incident, one Rolex, one Omega so IMO it doesn't seem that hard to perform that operation without stripping the threads. But, it also seems to me that unscrewing a crown and screwing it back in again is a common enough practice that the design should be such that the threads engage reliably every time without requiring any special technique to ensure they've engaged properly. In other words, unless the user is extremely careless it would seem to me that stripped threads are more indicative of a sub-optimum design, rather than user error, so I'd be upset if it wasn't covered by warranty.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
No special technique is required. But nevertheless, people do damage threads, as I’ve repaired many of them. The brand doesn’t matter, it happens across all of them, so they are either all “sub-optimum” designs, or people make mistakes occasionally. I know which option I’d put my money on...
If the crown detached from the watch, and human error could cause it to be re-inserted crooked and result in cross threading, I'd agree with you. But in this case there are two objects with threads that are aligned by a common shaft in the middle to keep them aligned. In my mind, an optimum design would have tight enough tolerance so that alignment can't be screwed up, and the threads would always engage properly. I don't know what happens to cause the threads to be stripped, can you elaborate a bit?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts