WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am new in the forum and i'd like to have your opinion on the following watch

Omega Automatic - Seamaster Calendar
Stainless steel case nº 14701 1 SC
Cal. 562 nº 172xxxxx

Is this watch authentic?
I will try to get a better photo.

Thank in advance
Best regards

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
One picture is not very much to go on, but I think the movement and case are consistant with the listing for case reference 14701 at the Omega Vintage Database.

http://www.omegawatches.com/cu_vintage/main.php

You'll need to register to have access to the information there. It's free, and only takes a minute.

Now about that dial, definitely a recent refinish. Fonts are wrong and it is way too white for a 50 year old watch. Hands look OK but have been relumed.

Assuming the movement is in good shape, the only warning I'd have is to not overpay for this watch. Many collectors want only original dials. Some dealers want top dollar for what they say is a "like new" watch. This one is certainly not anything like new.

For everyday wearing, it's perfectly fine, if as stated above, the movement is mechnically OK.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
the last time I checked a 'Calender' it didn't have an "a" between
d and r. :rodekaart. I guess whoever re-finished the dial was having a bad day?

Still-why let a tiny little 'a' prevent you from enjoying an otherwise nice looking watch?

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
i guess i'm the one who's out to lunch. I don't know why I thought it looked wrong but I dont use spell check maybe i should. excuse my goof snowF4 and enjoy your watch

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One picture is not very much to go on, but I think the movement and case are consistant with the listing for case reference 14701 at the Omega Vintage Database.

http://www.omegawatches.com/cu_vintage/main.php

You'll need to register to have access to the information there. It's free, and only takes a minute.

Now about that dial, definitely a recent refinish. Fonts are wrong and it is way too white for a 50 year old watch. Hands look OK but have been relumed.

Assuming the movement is in good shape, the only warning I'd have is to not overpay for this watch. Many collectors want only original dials. Some dealers want top dollar for what they say is a "like new" watch. This one is certainly not anything like new.

For everyday wearing, it's perfectly fine, if as stated above, the movement is mechnically OK.

Hope this helps,
gatorcpa
Hello, thankyou for the help. I've not experience in the field but that's what i think too, the dial has a recent refinish. By the way: the watch it is not mine and probably will not be in the future!

Best regards
snowfall4all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts