WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name's Luis and I bought 6 months ago my first higher end watch: an Omega Seamaster Professional Ceramic, in blue. It was bought from an AD, brand new. The watch was used only a bunch of times, maybe a total of 15 days in these 6 months.

Recently it was put on a watch timing machine and I got some...well...not so good readings. On the wrist it gains less than 2s a day, which is perfectly within spec.

On the timing machine, these were the results (ignore the lift angle - I know it should've been set to 38º). Now the watch was never subjected to any shocks, mechanical, thermic, whatever and it doesn't have a scratch on it, anywhere. I really do baby my stuff.

Now... should I be worried and take it to an authorised repair centre? Or if it keeps good time on the wrist, I should just leave it alone? Even with the crown up (the usual resting position, over a soft surface) it keeps time welll within specs.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your timing machine is not capable of "hearing" a co-axial movement, so your results are not accurate. And there is no way to update your machine to do so.
Omega's own technical manual states that the only data that cannot be correctly measured is the amplitude. I believe all the other readings are shown correctly.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The "manual" has your "timegrapher" model listed as a source of measurement? I think your belief is flawed. The old adage you get what you pay for is likely true...

also so to test your belief what was the result when you did set the lift angle to 38?

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
....Even with the crown up (the usual resting position, over a soft surface) it keeps time welll within specs.....
Only a genuine WUS would be sure to note that it rests over a soft surface!

....Now... should I be worried and take it to an authorised repair centre?....
No. You should immediately post pictures of the lovely blue dial here for us to enjoy.

Now what was your problem?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Your timing machine is not capable of "hearing" a co-axial movement, so your results are not accurate. And there is no way to update your machine to do so.
I wasn't aware that these timagraher devices don't accurately measure Omega co-axial movements. I have a PO GoodPlanet and Omega PO chrono. Both check out well on my timagraher.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ok, what is a wus/wis ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The "manual" has your "timegrapher" model listed as a source of measurement? I think your belief is flawed. The old adage you get what you pay for is likely true...

also so to test your belief what was the result when you did set the lift angle to 38?
The machine isn't mine and it was only after I saw those results that I ended up discovering that the correct lift angle is 38!

Anyway, and since I haven't got a timing machine, I installed an app called "tickoprint" on my smartphone and the readings are always 1 or 2s a day, which is what I get from normal wrist use.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Only a genuine WUS would be sure to note that it rests over a soft surface!

No. You should immediately post pictures of the lovely blue dial here for us to enjoy.

Now what was your problem?
So here's a pic!

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Ok, what is a wus/wis ?
WUS is WatchUSeek.

WIS is 'watch idiot savant'. IMHO, it's a particularly snooty and elitist term for somebody who's into wristwatches in a big way. I.E., all of us who get on watch forums to discuss watches. I prefer the term 'watch nerd' or 'watch nut', only because not everybody who's into watches will know what an idiot savant is. Hell, I had to look it up when I first heard it years ago.
Short answer is that it's somebody who may be mentally handicapped, but is gifted in some other way. Basically, like Dustin Hoffman's character in "Rain Man".
Now that I think about it, WIS doesn't really apply to wristwatch fanaticism.
But what do I know. I'm just a watch nerd/nut.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
WUS is WatchUSeek.

WIS is 'watch idiot savant'. IMHO, it's a particularly snooty and elitist term for somebody who's into wristwatches in a big way. I.E., all of us who get on watch forums to discuss watches. I prefer the term 'watch nerd' or 'watch nut', only because not everybody who's into watches will know what an idiot savant is. Hell, I had to look it up when I first heard it years ago.
Short answer is that it's somebody who may be mentally handicapped, but is gifted in some other way. Basically, like Dustin Hoffman's character in "Rain Man".
Now that I think about it, WIS doesn't really apply to wristwatch fanaticism.
But what do I know. I'm just a watch nerd/nut.
A WUS/WIS could just be shortened to a WIS as defined as "Watch Internet Savant" (a combination of the two terms, almost like a portmanteau).

·
Registered
122 Posts
The timing machine measures the accuracy at that instant. It does not give you the full accuracy measurement over the course of the day. If you think about how the movement works, you would understand that not every gear turns a full revolution instantly. Some gears turns faster such as the gear for second hand. Certain sections of a gear might have imperfection that could cause it to turn fast or slow. Therefore you should focus on daily average second per day rather than the instant reading of the timing machine.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
It seems to me like there's nothing wrong with your watch.. if it works on your wrist that's all that matters. If anything I would say you should wear it more, 15 times in 6 months just seems like a waste to me.

·
Registered
579 Posts
My experience of these watches has been one of great performance.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
That is a fine looking timepiece. Wear it more often the daily rate during wearing is excellent.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
Omega's own technical manual states that the only data that cannot be correctly measured is the amplitude. I believe all the other readings are shown correctly.
Yes, as I have said many times, these cheaper machines (assuming this one is one of those) can read the daily rate and beat error correctly, but will not give a proper amplitude reading.

So first question is, what position was the watch in while taking the readings shown? Second is was the watch fully wound?

Often these single shots of a screen from a timing machine are pretty much worthless without knowing the full state of the watch being tested. Even if I knew the answers to the 2 questions above, it is still very limited information without knowing the rates in all positions.

Having said that, the beat error is a bit larger than I like to see, but is just within tolerance at 0.6 ms (allowed to be 0.6 so on the edge).

The trace is rising and thus corresponds to the +6 rate shown. There are a lot of extra points on the graph, and these could indicate a problem, or it could be that there was noise in the room while the measurements were being taken - these cheap machines are very susceptible to extraneous noise.

As noted, this test is simply a brief snapshot in time, and not reflective of what the watch does during an entire day. Keep in mind that the rate we see quoted often as acceptable for a chronometer watch of -4 to +6 seconds is the daily average rate. Omega specs are from -1 to +6 for average rate, but that range does not tell the whole story by a long shot. That is an average measured over 5 positions, but the spread of numbers from slowest rate to fastest rate (the Delta) is allowed to be as much as 12 seconds at full wind, and at full wind -24 hours it can be as much as 15 seconds and still be within Omega specs.

I have often said that people getting timing machines is a mixed thing - it can raise more questions than provide answers.

If you have a real concern about your watch, take it to someone who has a proper timing machine, and the knowledge how to use it. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Al

1 - 20 of 32 Posts