WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so I'm about a day away from ordering either a Black Seamaster Pro or the Black Bezel/Orange Numbers 42mm Planet Ocean from the Forum AD. I'm still a tiny bit undecided between the two, so I headed down to the local Tourneau -- awful customer service at the counter, incidentally -- and compared. I really like how much thinner the SMP is, though the PO's weight is nice and hefty.

As much as I like how refined in appearance the SMP has become, I wonder if the black wavy dial is too distracting? I kept trying to look at it and found the waves catching the lights in the store, making it hard to actually see the hands on the dial. Maybe it's only the bright lights in the store? I wasn't going to ask to take it outside to see how it'd look in the sunlight so I figured I'd ask some of the SMP owners (black or blue) what they think about this... it's making me prefer the flat, matte back of the PO now.

I need to decide soon! Help!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
It's not distracting to me at all. I really like the details of the pattern.

BTW both winners and good choice on the Black/Bezel with Orange numbers. I love that combo.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I have the 2254.50 and I have never found the waves distracting or causing readability issues. I just spent 10 days at the beach and bright sunlight didn't cause any problems.

Maybe it was the store lights. I find that I can't always distinguish colors correctly under artificial store lights and sometimes there is a harsh glare.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it only seemed to happen when you hit the light just right, or wrong, and all I saw on the dial was bright white wavy pattern. I mean I could still see the skeleton hands and the markers, but... I dunno.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The lighting in most stores carrying watches is a relic from what is considered good for jewelry. High intensity very white lights focused smack dab on the counter area causes many specular highlights which, to most viewers, makes the jewelry look good. It makes the cases of watches sparkle, too, but isn't good for approximating the real world lighting that the watch will be used in. <|

Not a problem, at all! You'll never notice it in use.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also have the 2254.50 and under most viewing conditions you won't even see the wave. Take care and enjoy which ever one you decide on!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I am in the same predicament you are in deciding between the two watches. Also in agreement about the wavy dial on the black SMP a little hard to read at the store. I think it's the lights as well, but the blue SMP is not affected by the lights it seems(if that's what it is).

I have been thinking about this way toooooo long....2 months. I have tried both on at the store with all 3 side by side (blue SMP, new bond black SMP, and 42mm black PO) and still don't know what to get.

Help us out!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
When I was trying to make a decision between them, they both reached into my wallet, one after the other - ouch! Now I am black and blue with SMPs.

The sword hands, shape of the case, total weight of the watch, the movement, and overall quality is superb in every regard.

Anyway, the waves on the black SMP are not as defined as they are on the electric blue SMP, but...the blue produces wonderful shades of color depending upon your angle to the dial and the dial's angle to the light. It is equally, if not moreso, photogenic and as easy to read in all light conditions as the black SMP. :-!

The fact they keep such superbly accurate and precise time is irrelevant (sort of ;-))- I don't seem to care too much about the time when I am enjoying these watches.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Love the waves on the 2254.50 and the Great White. The watches would seem bland to me without them. And they are subtle. John

·
Registered
66 Posts
I find the whole thing distracting. Constantly looking at it without checking the time! Damn distractions.;-)

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had the same concern - in real life and real light, it is not a problem at all. It adds a bit of texture that's cool and very visually appealing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts