WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I normally HATE these "Is this real" threads, but here goes. I've been in the market for an SMP quartz in blue, and this seller has one for a great price. He's in Ft. lauderdale, which is where I am too, so I'm looking to see if I can arrange a face-to-face transaction. It looks good to me, but I just want to be sure. What do you guys think?

Omega Seamaster Professional James Bond Large Wave Pattern Watch | eBay

Again, sorry for another one of these "Is it real" threads, but I just want to be sure. i tried going through an Omega dealer, but they were asking for $3800 for the blue quartz (it was their last one) so i've turned to eBay. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
The picture in the link you sent is not for a quartz watch. It is the automatic version.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The picture in the link you sent is not for a quartz watch. It is the automatic version.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Oh yeah I see that now. If you hadn't mentioned that I never would've seen the "Chronometer" on the dial. Weird, the seller says the model # is the 2541.80 which is quartz. Well, the watch in the picture, is it a genuine SMP? Because as I said, if it is, I'll arrange a face-to-face deal and see the watch there.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
i cant see how someone can mistake a quartz for an auto movement, unless he recycled a pic from a previous model he sold and didnt check properly.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
There are people out there that have no idea of quartz vs auto, model numbers etc. That may explain the confusion.
I ran into one ebay seller last week who had no idea - was selling an auto SMP and listed it as quartz.
The photos don't show much but they are of a genuine SMP.
The most important feature to look for is the HE valve placement (on 51-52 - not on the 50 mark), the pearl looks good too.
He says mint but on a replacement generic band. His definition of mint might be a non-WUS definition.
The red tip of the second hand appears faded. Some very minor marks on the edge of the bezel at 12 and 25.
The price is good and a genuine bracelet or second hand can be found if you wanted them and still have a good SMP at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
127 Posts
There are several issues to consider, regarding this piece. If seller doesn't realize it's a 2531.80, he won't know the service history. He states the bracelet is aftermarket. That, alone, would put me off. The second hand tip has lost all of its color, so lots of Sun exposure to the dial. I'd look for a better example.

Cheers,
Kellen

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
It's clearly not "mint", not "quartz" (ok, that's a plus value-wise), the "band" (actually bracelet) has been replaced (why?), the cosmetic condition is fair, and the working condition is completely unknown. OK, the seller has decent feedback and sells non-trivial personal items, but is this really a watch that a WIS / WUS would be proud to wear - even if it is a genuine Omega Bond auto?

Do you feel lucky?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Oh, and I think that's the mid-size, not "large" - look at the height-to-width of the 3:00 o'clock marker.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Ask to provide a clear photo of the movement and if it's okay the first thing you should be doing is buying that piece.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
The one in the photo is model 2531.80. And judging by the photo, it looks to be a genuine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts