WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys, the ultimate DOXA diving experience is back!! Searaider 2008, bigger, better and more exciting than before. You've seen the pictures and you've read the reports, you know....it's going to be great!!!:-!:-!

For 2008, we'll once again descend on Grand Cayman at the Ocean Frontiers/Compass Point Dive Resort. This time we'll be there, November 1st through the 7th. That's right, I've added one more day of diving because once you're there, four days of diving isn't nearly enough.:)

All of the exciting features of Searaider 2007, return in '08. Underwater, we'll venture out on a night dive. We'll swim with the stingrays at Stingray City and explore the walls and reefs of Grand Cayman's East End. The turtles, the eels, the lobster and the jacks...will all be awaiting our return.

Topside, we'll explore the island. We'll venture into George Town and partake in the sights, sounds, food and drink....all that the island has to offer. Some of us may even buy a new DOXA or two.;-)

We'll also enjoy a farewell BBQ, catered especially for the Searaiders. At the BBQ, in addition to some awesome Cayman Cuisine, we'll view our feature film that KAZ, our team videographer, has compiled for us. He'll accompany us on six of our dives as well as our Stingray City dive, capturing the rally underwater as it unfolds. He'll then grab some topside footage and fully edit and score, our very own Searaider documentary.:-!

DOXA is also back in '08. Rick and the team, again break out the ol' treasure chest of loot. What will it be, you say? Well, there's only one way to find out.:-d:-d

Now, to cut to the chase.....here's the itinerary.

Nov. 1: Arrival in GC and Ocean Frontier's/Compass Point check in. Get groceries, supplies etc. Casual meet and greet and maybe dinner at a near-by restaurant
Nov. 2: Morning dive w/ afternoon to explore island.(Don't know about you guys, but visiting Landmark Jewelers is going to be very high on my list of priorities. Possibly dinner in George Town
Nov. 3: Morning dive w/ afternoon open. Night Dive
Nov. 4: Morning dive w/ afternoon dive trip to Sting Ray City. Dinner somewhere cool like Rum Point
Nov. 5: Morning dive w/ an afternoon shore dive
Nov. 6: Morning dive w/ afternoon open. Beach BBQ that evening
Nov. 7: Check out and departure

Here's the pricing break-down, straight from Lesley at Ocean Frontiers:

1st - 7th November 2008 Pricing as follows:

DOXA Dive Package

6 nights accommodation at Compass Point Dive Resort
5 days of two tank dives and one stingray city dive
Farewell BBQ evening
Car rental for the entire stay

Cost is : $1,425.00 Per diver $740.00 per non diver based on double occupancy in a one bedroom and including tax
Or $1205.00 per diver and $525.00 per non diver based on triple occupancy in a one bedroom and including tax

Alternatively in a Two Bedroom condominium the rates are as follows:

$1,350.00 per diver and $670.00 per non diver based on triple occupancy in a two bedroom and including tax
$1190.00 per diver and $555.00 per non diver based on quad occupancy in a two bedroom and including tax

Ready for the ultimate in DOXAs and diving? Here's what Leslie will need to get you on your way...

In order to confirm your reservation I would need the following information:

Name the room should be booked in: First/Last
Name of all people in room

Check in and check out dates

Room Type

Name of all divers.

Date of last dive (Month/year )

Any equipment requirements you may have. Please could you supply heights and weights for proper sizing.

Finally I will also need a credit card number, VISA or Master Card, and expiry date. By clicking on the following link you will be able to send your credit card over our secure website:
www.oceanfrontiers.com the secure link is in the top left corner

The card will be used to confirm your booking. For early bookings prior to June 1st, a charge of $100 will apply. This early deposit will be very helpful for planning additional events during the rally. 50% of the remaining balance will be charged on June 1st, with the final 50% being taken 45 days prior to arrival. If you are booking with less than 45 days to arrival, full payment will be taken at the time of booking.

Refund policy: Full refund with more then 14 days notice prior to first day of arrival. No refund with less than 14 days notification.

If you have any questions regarding the resort or Ocean Frontiers diving. Please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be happy to help.

Guys, just to reiterate the booking schedule...the earlier we can get commitments, the better we can plan. I have several bonus features that could possibly be added, but I'm going to need to know numbers as soon as possible. Landmark Jewelers, for example, would like to do something special for us one night. However they're going to need more than three of us in order to make that happen. Another reason that we need to know attendance numbers ASAP, is so that Ocean Frontiers can make sure they reserve the right size boat for our group. The early deposit of $100 is definitely not much, but it sure gives us valuable information, when it comes to making plans.|>

Now for a few more details.... All participants are responsible for their airfare, meals(except BBQ), souvenirs, etc. You'll need to bring dive gear, and proof of certification plus a log book. Nitrox is extra but well worth it, if you're clear to dive it. If you don't have your own gear, Ocean Frontiers has late model, Scubapro gear and would be happy to help with rentals. Just check with Lesley for rates and reservations.

With eleven months to plan, every desk diver out there, who wants to join the ranks of real ocean divers, should have plenty of time to train somewhere close to home. If not,
Ocean Frontiers is a PADI "5 Star" training facility and has an excellent staff of instructors. This way, you can get certified while attending Searaider 2008 or if you want to do everything at home except your open-water, Ocean Frontiers can conduct your o/w checkout on the first day of the rally. Now talk about accommodations....:-!

That's all for now. If you have any questions, I'm just a PM away. If you have any questions for Lesley, she's just a key stroke away. Her email address is [email protected]. When you're ready to make your deposit, just go to the Ocean Frontier's website and follow Lesley's instructions. We booked Searaider 2007 this way and It's easy, convenient and secure....no worries there. Be sure to put in the comments box "Searaider 2008", and you'll be on your way. Like I said before, you've seen the pictures, you've read the reports. You know it's going to be awesome, so what are you waiting for?:think::-d

·
Registered
189 Posts
Subkrawler,

Once again thanks for doing all the leg work, you're the best.

Count me in,:-! I'll be making my reservations later today.

After the great time we had at 2007 I can't wait for next years rally.

Take care, Randy

·
Banned
313 Posts
Make that 3.

What else can I say, other than I wouldn't miss it. :-!

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, just letting you guys know that there may be a bit of confusion regarding the way I worded the $100 deposit for early applicants. My apologies if I wasn't clear, but the $100 is a mini deposit. It's not an additional fee applied to the trip price.

Let's say you're in for double occupancy in a one bedroom condo. That rate is $1425.00. If you sign up before June 1st, by giving Leslie your credit card number, she only charges $100. This leaves you a balance of $1325.00. On June 1st, Leslie will then charge 50% of the remaining balance, so an additional $662.50 will be charged. Then 45 days prior to the rally, somewhere around Sept 15th, the remaining balance of $662.50 will be charged. After that, you're all set and ready to go.:-!

We did it this way, so you guys could sign up, but not have to be out a bunch of cash for the majority of the year. It's enough to let us know that you're serious and that we can realistically make plans accordingly, but it's not enough to break the bank.;-)

If there was some confusion, this should clear it up. If you all got it right the first time, then we're good to go.|>:)

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Subkrawler,

Once again thanks for doing all the leg work, you're the best.

Count me in,:-! I'll be making my reservations later today.

After the great time we had at 2007 I can't wait for next years rally.

Take care, Randy
Make that 3.

What else can I say, other than I wouldn't miss it. :-!
Thanks guys and I'm glad to know that you're both on board for '08.

Man, I wish we were leaving tomorrow.:-d

·
Banned
313 Posts
roger, Roger. :-d

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
What's our vector, Victor? (Think we missed that one last time :-d).

Speaking of missing last time, I'm in. I'm not going to miss two of these in a row! Tomorrow, I will contact Leslie with the CC info, and get myself booked. Looking forward to making it this time!!!! :-!

·
Registered
905 Posts
I thinking in ... but need to see if my better half gets her open water in Jan while in Roatan. If she does I think it will certainly be a go ... So I'll let you all know 1st part of feb. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one .... diving and Doxa buddies .... does it get any better????:-!

·
14,594 Posts
I thinking in ... but need to see if my better half gets her open water in Jan while in Roatan. If she does I think it will certainly be a go ... So I'll let you all know 1st part of feb. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one .... diving and Doxa buddies .... does it get any better????:-!
I'm with John, I hope to know something around the first of Feb. I REALLY WANT TO GO!!!!o|o|o|o|o|

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What's our vector, Victor? (Think we missed that one last time :-d).

Speaking of missing last time, I'm in. I'm not going to miss two of these in a row! Tomorrow, I will contact Leslie with the CC info, and get myself booked. Looking forward to making it this time!!!! :-!
Glad you're in, man.:-! I can't tell you how disappointed I was, when I found out you weren't going to make it to this year's rally.

You did buy the Scubapro X650, right? It would be a shame for that thing to go unused.:-d:-d

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
John, that would be great if you and your wife, both could make it. It would be super nice to have a lady in our midst, which brings me to another point. This rally is for everybody.

If you have a wife or girlfriend who doesn't dive, but would like to come, bring her. Heck if you have kids and can't make it unless they come, bring them too. There's plenty to do on the island for everyone, and the itinerary that I posted is very loose.

If there's an afternoon event or a dinner that the group has planned, but you'd rather do something else with the wife or family, by all means do it. We're not going to think anything about it. FUN is the ultimate goal, so by all means...go have fun!!:-!:-!

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm with John, I hope to know something around the first of Feb. I REALLY WANT TO GO!!!!o|o|o|o|o|
You better go!! If you don't...T-bone, whse, THOR and myself will never let you live it down.:-d:-d

·
DOXA Forum Moderator
5,729 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys, I received a very good question by way of a PM. I thought I'd answer it openly here on the forum, since others may be wondering the same thing.

I have a quick question, tho ... would Open Water Certification be adequate for the planned dives, or should I shoot for Advanced Open Water before then?
Open-water certification is adequate enough. However if you have the time and the means to get your advanced rating....get it. You'll naturally acquire more skills but most of all, your confidence and comfort level will be higher and stronger. Confidence and cool-headedness, can carry you a long way it the sport of diving. A higher level of comfort will make diving even more fun.:-!

The depths that we'll see will be no deeper than 100 feet. That's optional, even on the walls. The way we dive, is the first dive of the day is a wall dive. The max depth on that dive will be 100 feet. It's possible to go deeper, but we keep it to a max. of 100. The second dive is a reef dive, and the solid bottom is never any deeper than 65-70 feet.

If you don't feel comfortable going below 70 feet on the walls, you don't have to. The wall starts at around 65 feet and there's plenty to see right there or just slightly over the edge. There's no shame in staying shallow. In fact, it's really smarter. You see everything at 70 feet that you would see at 100, it's just that you can stay longer to enjoy it.

Staying right over the edge is also more relaxing. You have a visual reference of your depth because you can still see where the wall starts. Once deep on the wall, all visual references of depth are gone. You have to really pay close attention to your depth gauge/computer, because it's real easy to get caught up in the scenery and not realize you've dropped another 10 -15 feet.

Like I said in another post, this trip is about having fun. If you have more fun staying shallow, go for it. I may even join you.:)

·
Registered
11,823 Posts
Yep, Mk25 & X650..... sitting new and unused in a box 10 feet from me :-(. I was disappointed too, but that was then... This is going to be a great trip, and I think participation will be big too! Looking forward to meeting everyone, and having lots of great dives and stories to share for years to come!

One good thing is I have months to get back into SCUBA and get properly re-acquainted. I'll even do some local quarries this summer, and maybe even re-visit some of the Great Lakes wrecks of my past. (Wonder if my old dry suit is salvageable..... it was a low end DUI, serviced by them right before I hung it up. Think I'll take it to a pool in spring and give it a leak test b-)).

·
Registered
413 Posts
Whoa, this sounds great. May have to figure out a way to make this!!!:-!

·
Registered
364 Posts
OK, count me in tentatively, I'm 99% there.:-!

I'm finishing up my current contract in a couple weeks, and will then be back in the States. The 1% is what I'm off to do next. I'll know more by the time I'm home in January, but I don't think it will affect my going. Looks like it's going to be an absolute blast; can't wait!

Cheers,
Eric

·
14,594 Posts
Ok, so are at least some of you guys going to bring womenfolk? I feel quite certain that I will be bringing my wife. She will do the diving, but the Doxa oogleing is for the birds as far as she is concerned...........I know John M. is thinking Kathy will come.............Anyone else??

·
Registered
364 Posts
Ok, so are at least some of you guys going to bring womenfolk? I feel quite certain that I will be bringing my wife. She will do the diving, but the Doxa oogleing is for the birds as far as she is concerned...........I know John M. is thinking Kathy will come.............Anyone else??
Jason - you know me. Only jewelry I wear is my Doxa. ;-)

Cheers,

Avi

·
14,594 Posts
Jason - you know me. Only jewelry I wear is my Doxa. ;-)

Cheers,

Avi

Yes, but with the many lady friends that you have.......Surely you could pick one from the countless to bring along, or would that cramp your style while on the island:-s:-d:-d

·
Registered
364 Posts
Yes, but with the many lady friends that you have.......Surely you could pick one from the countless to bring along, or would that cramp your style while on the island:-s:-d:-d
Jason,

From my perspective, vacations are for friends, diving, family and watches. As for the order of those things - we'll each decide that. :-d I'll devote the other 51 weeks in the year for other pursuits...I've had bad experiences vacationing with girlfriends. Remind me to tell you about my Hawaiian nightmare next time I see you. ;-)

More seriously, I've put in my vacation request for this already - I don't plan to miss this twice in a row.

Cheers,

Avi

1 - 20 of 158 Posts