WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
10,099 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, Vostok uses a true compressor case (though not necessarily a twin crown layout of a traditional supercompressor).

I did read about one other recent release that claimed to be a true supercompressor, but I can't for the life of me remember the company.

But otherwise, yeah, not much out there.

·
Registered
537 Posts
the supercompressor case was made by (I think) one single manufacturer from the 1960s to the 70s. They sold that case to lots of other watch companies: Benrus, Enicar, Wittnauer, etc. I don't know if anyone makes a case that does the same thing nowadays (increasing water pressure increases the seal). For a watch that has that look - two right-side crowns, plus an internal rotating bezel - Sinn has a few watches in this line: Sinn Uhren: Modell 240 St

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the Vostok tip. I’ve never handled anything from that brand but I know they have somewhat of a cult following. Some of their old dial designs are super funky.

·
Registered
10,113 Posts
True compressor with the spring on the back case? I don't believe there is one, not even the Zodiac Super Seawolf reissue replicated that particular.

Vostoks work with a similar case design but tgey are not truly "compressor".

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Chris Ward reportedly was the first to re-do a real SC design since the 1970s, but yes, now RZE has one as well. I'm continually impressed by that brand. They really stand out in a sea of cookie cutter micros. Establishing a design identity that quickly is no mean feat.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chris Ward reportedly was the first to re-do a real SC design since the 1970s, but yes, now RZE has one as well. I'm continually impressed by that brand. They really stand out in a sea of cookie cutter micros. Establishing a design identity that quickly is no mean feat.
I like the look of the RZE as well. Do you have any experience with the brand or can speak to the build quality?

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
What makes something a "true" super compressor. Dual crowns is common, but not required. The spring is one implementation of a compressor, but not the only one. Why wouldn't a Vostok be a true compressor. The case uses water pressure to improve/increase the seal, so why isn't it considered a true compressor watch

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What makes something a "true" super compressor. Dual crowns is common, but not required. The spring is one implementation of a compressor, but not the only one. Why wouldn't a Vostok be a true compressor. The case uses water pressure to improve/increase the seal, so why isn't it considered a true compressor watch
Just in my brief research I do believe some of the Vostok models qualify.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There's also the new Sherpa watch, which seems to be a modern tribute to the Enicar Sherpa, but the price is a little bit up there!

·
Registered
10,099 Posts
Apparently, this is a true super compressor and I really like the look. Just wanted to see if I missed anything else out there before I pulled the trigger. View attachment 16714654
There are plenty of watches with "the look" but that don't use a compressor style seal. A compressor seal really doesn't offer any advantage over modern gland seal designs, which is why real compressors largely disappeared. Complexity without benefit.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
There are plenty of watches with "the look" but that don't use a compressor style seal. A compressor seal really doesn't offer any advantage over modern gland seal designs, which is why real compressors largely disappeared. Complexity without benefit.
Yea, I get that the design is a bit of a vestage, but I’m a dive watch guy and feel mildly compelled to have one in the collection to check that box. I also do dig the dual crown configuration.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts