WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Searching for a modern true Super Compressor…

4K views 64 replies 31 participants last post by  teckel12 
#1 ·
Other than Christopher Ward, are there any other companies currently producing true Super Compressor divers?

#2 ·
If I'm not mistaken, Vostok uses a true compressor case (though not necessarily a twin crown layout of a traditional supercompressor).

I did read about one other recent release that claimed to be a true supercompressor, but I can't for the life of me remember the company.

But otherwise, yeah, not much out there.

#3 ·
the supercompressor case was made by (I think) one single manufacturer from the 1960s to the 70s. They sold that case to lots of other watch companies: Benrus, Enicar, Wittnauer, etc. I don't know if anyone makes a case that does the same thing nowadays (increasing water pressure increases the seal). For a watch that has that look - two right-side crowns, plus an internal rotating bezel - Sinn has a few watches in this line: Sinn Uhren: Modell 240 St

#17 ·
There are plenty of watches with "the look" but that don't use a compressor style seal. A compressor seal really doesn't offer any advantage over modern gland seal designs, which is why real compressors largely disappeared. Complexity without benefit.

#13 ·
What makes something a "true" super compressor. Dual crowns is common, but not required. The spring is one implementation of a compressor, but not the only one. Why wouldn't a Vostok be a true compressor. The case uses water pressure to improve/increase the seal, so why isn't it considered a true compressor watch

#16 ·
There's also the new Sherpa watch, which seems to be a modern tribute to the Enicar Sherpa, but the price is a little bit up there!

#23 ·
Have you checked out the Dan Henry 1970? I have two of them. Very sharp for the money

#44 ·
Right, the “Amfibia” line of Vostok shown in this thread is different than the typical Vostok. They thave mineral crystal instead of acrylic, and they have regular screwdown casebacks instead of the 2 piece caseback Vostok is known for.
Regular Vostoks have a caseback that pops on and sits between 2 grooves to hold it in place, then a metal ring screws on over the top. Thus reduces gasket shear and does compress under pressure, but it’s different than a supercompressor which has a metal spring/ring under the caseback. Both approaches are pretty clever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.