WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to find a watch for my brother-in-law, who is a merchant marine captain, ice-waters pilot, and now a pilot in the Port of Montreal. He works on shifts, and needs an easy-to-read, alarm watch with zulu time.

He is very specific about what he is looking for, and I just can't find a timepiece with all of these characteristics. Maybe someone here can help.

Essential characteristics:
- Large, at least 40 mm in diameter
- Waterresistant to 100m at least, and tough
- Very clear, easy to read face. (Think Indiglo, or full luminous face, such as on the Aristo Dakar or Chronoswiss Timemaster models, or Tritium tubes...)
- Zulu (GMT) time
- Alarm (fast/easy to set is best: as an example, Timex has really easy-to-set alarm models)

Optional characteristics:
- Mech or quartz
- He would prefer Titanium, but steel is fine
- Chimes on the hours. (Apparently, sailors clocks chime 1, 2, 3 or 4 times for the number of hours on a four-hour shift).

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
240 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking the Aerospace fits this bill too. I just picked one up, and I like it, but its pricey new. Pre-owned might be the way to go IF you can find one. If you're willing to step back to the previous model like I did, you get all the features minus the backlight, and the alarm isn't very loud (for me its passable). It has virtually every function you would need in a watch, and I got mine for $1200 LNIB. The new 'Advantage' model is considerably more money, but its super-nice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts