WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello friends! so recently i got to thinking about the smartwatch, how they developed, what were the precursors? this led me down a multi-hour internet rabbit hole that i barely escaped from. however, i did find some interesting things, and some manufacturers that were trying new things years ago.

now i'm not a smartwatch guy, i understand the appeal to some folks but they're just not for me, however; i saw the IBM/Citizen watchpad from the 90's and it just looks so cool. i think all of the working copies are in museums, so my question for the community is, has anyone come across a digital watch that has this kind of chunky/retrofuturistic look? best wear scenario would be as a beater. am i crazy?

·
Registered
98 Posts
hello friends! so recently i got to thinking about the smartwatch, how they developed, what were the precursors? this led me down a multi-hour internet rabbit hole that i barely escaped from. however, i did find some interesting things, and some manufacturers that were trying new things years ago.

now i'm not a smartwatch guy, i understand the appeal to some folks but they're just not for me, however; i saw the IBM/Citizen watchpad from the 90's and it just looks so cool. i think all of the working copies are in museums, so my question for the community is, has anyone come across a digital watch that has this kind of chunky/retrofuturistic look? best wear scenario would be as a beater. am i crazy?
This was the first watch that came to mind when you described what you are looking for. They can be a bit harder to find but this is the Russian Elektronika 1, the second but more well known digital watch produced in the USSR. It is a vintage watch and unique. You can still find some examples for sale if you look enough. Just make sure you get pics of the movement to see the battery if left in didn't corrode or anything and mess it up.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wouldn't wear it as a beater comrade. Actually I wouldn't wear it at all
Probably true on the beater part. I'd wear it though if the occasion was right. I was going more to fit the retrofuturistic look he referenced.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,655 Posts
watches.com is a site that has affordable digital watches similar to this.

In a quick perusal there, a couple that I see are:

Barcelona 666 Blend digital for $100:
Watch Digital clock Technology Electronic device Display device

Barcelona 666 Spaceworker for $120:
Product Digital clock Technology Display device Clock

Nixon Re-Run All-Gold for $125 (Probably not what you're looking for, but I personally kinda dig this one):
Watch Analog watch Digital clock Fashion accessory Metal

Click Turn Black-Red Ribbon for under $50 is rather funky, but it's out of stock at the moment:
Red Product Technology Electronics Electronic device

If you choose to get one, try coupon code 'comeback10' for 10% off. Not guaranteeing it will work, but it might.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
watches.com is a site that has affordable digital watches similar to this.

In a quick perusal there, a couple that I see are:

Barcelona 666 Blend digital for $100:
View attachment 12956293

Barcelona 666 Spaceworker for $120:
View attachment 12956295

Nixon Re-Run All-Gold for $125 (Probably not what you're looking for, but I personally kinda dig this one):
View attachment 12956297

Click Turn Black-Red Ribbon for under $50 is rather funky, but it's out of stock at the moment:
View attachment 12956299

If you choose to get one, try coupon code 'comeback10' for 10% off. Not guaranteeing it will work, but it might.
the spaceworker and the click turn are both pretty neat! interestingly enough my dad gave me a barcelona 666 last year that doesn't make it onto my wrist often enough.

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Gadget Technology Electronics Watch Electronic device

Watch Watch accessory Design Strap Fashion accessory

There's a Jump Hour thread going in the Public Forum, w/some nice jurassic technology on display ... maybe not weird enough???
I would sell my soul for that Ripley Seiko Chronograph, but I'd probably flip it in about six months, and then I wouldn't have a soul anymore, so probably not going to do that.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
It's not exactly on point, but did you check out this recent thread? There are some funky digital pieces in there: https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/can-you-still-get-stainless-steel-digital-4641297.html

Here are a few random selections from Amazon that have either funky/retro shapes or nifty doodads.

Obvious opening volley: Casio Data Bank

Second, the coolest digital watch I've ever seen (Freestyle Boiler):

And in no particular order:

Rad retro/scifi Vestal:

Scary Cylon watch by Infrantry:

Coupl'a Nixons:

And it's probably not useful/relevant, but I have no idea how to tell the time on this Haus of US :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not exactly on point, but did you check out this recent thread? There are some funky digital pieces in there: https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/can-you-still-get-stainless-steel-digital-4641297.html

Here are a few random selections from Amazon that have either funky/retro shapes or nifty doodads.

Obvious opening volley: Casio Data Bank

Second, the coolest digital watch I've ever seen (Freestyle Boiler):

And in no particular order:

Rad retro/scifi Vestal:

Scary Cylon watch by Infrantry:

Coupl'a Nixons:

And it's probably not useful/relevant, but I have no idea how to tell the time on this Haus of US :)
i saw that thread but didn't dig in, i'll look now. i love the databank, but think it's almost too tame for what i was thinking. the vestal is definitely cool. i have a bunch of old nike watches that are all too sporty

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.