WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Vendor
936 Posts
Hello everybody,

First the good news: I have the solution :)

Second the bad news: I have had problems with the casebacks.

The Story
After I received the first raw case yesterday evening I was trying to put together one complete case to see if everything is working as planned.
From a technical view all was working, but the optic result differed from my thoughts. .-(
The display caseback and the slits to open the caseback were not like I suspected.

The slits of the caseback are cleary to be seen and this makes the optic not perfect for me.
So I decided to work on the caseback and to see if I can cover the slits somehow.
I took the caseback to my machines and I found the solution.

I will need new casebacks for this, but this is the only solution I found.

We will reduce the slits so that they are not on the second step of the caseback - they only will be viewable when the massive caseback is not on the watch. (you see my result in picture 1 and picture 2- all other pictures before have had the slits on the second step of the caseback)

How to reduce the slits was the question we had to face :)

Only in producing new ones - that's the only possibility.

So I decided to produce new display casebacks to have the watch optical perfect. (and I wil throw the 200 produced ones into the rubish :-( )

This will be made next week - I talked to my case maker and he told me that they will do a favour to me and they will put it on the machines next week. :)

To be sure I will be there to follow the production step.

Please see a lot of other pictures when I finished the first raw case to make it satin matt finished.

This problem i told you now was just one of several other small problems.

Always the first series of a new watch has special issues to check and to clear and still if you have drawings and ideas - the result has to be in your hand to see if everything works. .-)

Best regards

Jörg Schauer

Attachments

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Thank you for the update. I hope it all works out the way you want. Looking good so far.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Thanks for the update Joerg. You have made a lot of efforts to make it perfect. I'm just wondering whether you have thought of patenting some of your clever solutions, before the other 'big guys' steal your idea ;-)

·
Registered
310 Posts
For me this would not have been an issue. Of course 100%? perfect is better than 98%? but honestly sometimes I wonder how we handle "natural resources". Perhaps it is not much but throwing 200 produced items into the rubish because of that.... :think:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Jorge, thanks again for your post: this clearly shows which level of attention you pay to all the details and to our satisfaction !!!

Your solution makes the case back PERFECT !!!

Just a question: will the massive case back be removable by nails or it will be necessary to use a tool ?

Thanks for the reply.

Engi

·
Vendor
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you should use a knife - but this "tool" i want to give with the watch of course- be patience :)

But the closing of the back should be very smooth that it is maybe possible to open with a fingernail - this we develope next week when we make the new casebacks.

best regards

Jörg

·
Watchuseek Journalist
1,777 Posts
Jorg,

After seeing this post I am bitting my nails already....I am really excited on how this watch is going to turn out.

Your post is the reason I love Stowa and recommend to my friends. Seeing the birth of the watch is very special......

Cheers,
Bhanu

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hi Jörg,

With all the pictures you have posted for each step of the process that are involved in producing the FO, they really make me feel like I am part of the team that went through the process with you.

Don't think most of the manufacturers will show people those painstaking steps of what they have gone through to product/develop the watch that will ended up on our wrist.

Thank you very much for sharing all these pictures.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Thanks for the update Jörg!
Boy, time flies... it was a year ago I reserved the AO! :-d
(and haven't regret it a single day)

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Thank you very much, Jörg.

I appreciate the immense care you are taking to hav ethe watch as you envisaged it.

I am already bonding with the watch, just by seeing your thoughts and turns ... like a sonography of a baby in the womb. ;-)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello everybody,
In principle I like the Stowa watches very much, because they are design-classics, have a good quality and offers a very good value for the price. I apprciate the attention Joerg Schauer takes to his watches too and I think he has much new ideas for watches and solutions. I also like my Marine original very much, especially the finish of the movement with the swan neck. And I am looking forward very interested to the airman original with the handwind movement, cause I am one of the 80´s on the list.

But: I don´t think, that it is so brillant, that most of the components are too late and that the solution of the case back does not work perfect and that something has to be changed in the last time of the evolution of the watch. That does not sound very professional to me, I must confess. I WOULD EXPECT, that a watchmaker has a well-developed concept and good adjusted deadlines with all his suppliers and he should get all the things at the agreed dates. I WOULD EXPECT TOO, that the promised date of delivery of the watch, which was late autum of this year would hold. The way in which Joerg Schauer seems to build his watches seems more to be a "tinker" way of a "garage company" than a professional one.

So please, before there are other projects like the golden watcht etc. make a perfect airman original in the promised time and in well-working concept of everything including the double-back system.

I think, that a little more criticism of the forum members would not be bad, because everytime Mr. Schauer says, that something will be too late or does not work like expected, I hear "oh, super, Joerg...", "oh, how much attention you pay to this or so on".

But the thing is, that the evolution is not working better than expected, but less good, and that is not "super". I for myself would expect professional work, not less than that. And I can´t find it amazing, if something at the watch oes not work very well at a time, the watch should be completed and selled to the cusomers who are waiting at the watch like me. I have no problem to wait some weeks longer, if there are some unexpected problems, but I would be happier if everything would work like Mr. Schauer promised and I would not give special applause for the efforts to be taken to make it working like it should, when something was not planned in a satisfying way.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Hello everybody,
In principle I like the Stowa watches very much, because they are design-classics, have a good quality and offers a very good value for the price. I apprciate the attention Joerg Schauer takes to his watches too and I think he has much new ideas for watches and solutions. I also like my Marine original very much, especially the finish of the movement with the swan neck. And I am looking forward very interested to the airman original with the handwind movement, cause I am one of the 80´s on the list.

But: I don´t think, that it is so brillant, that most of the components are too late and that the solution of the case back does not work perfect and that something has to be changed in the last time of the evolution of the watch. That does not sound very professional to me, I must confess. I WOULD EXPECT, that a watchmaker has a well-developed concept and good adjusted deadlines with all his suppliers and he should get all the things at the agreed dates. I WOULD EXPECT TOO, that the promised date of delivery of the watch, which was late autum of this year would hold. The way in which Joerg Schauer seems to build his watches seems more to be a "tinker" way of a "garage company" than a professional one.

So please, before there are other projects like the golden watcht etc. make a perfect airman original in the promised time and in well-working concept of everything including the double-back system.

I think, that a little more criticism of the forum members would not be bad, because everytime Mr. Schauer says, that something will be too late or does not work like expected, I hear "oh, super, Joerg...", "oh, how much attention you pay to this or so on".

But the thing is, that the evolution is not working better than expected, but less good, and that is not "super". I for myself would expect professional work, not less than that. And I can´t find it amazing, if something at the watch oes not work very well at a time, the watch should be completed and selled to the cusomers who are waiting at the watch like me. I have no problem to wait some weeks longer, if there are some unexpected problems, but I would be happier if everything would work like Mr. Schauer promised and I would not give special applause for the efforts to be taken to make it working like it should, when something was not planned in a satisfying way.
you do realize that this is not Tissot or Seiko we are talking about here, right? Jorg is not some giant conglomerate. he works differently than a huge company, and this is exactly why so many of us spend our money on Stowa or Schauer watches. if you complain about Jorg's process (which you have every right to do), would you also complain about Philip Dufour and his methods? some of his watches are years overdue. Jorg has chosen to inform his customer's about every part of the process, which i think most of us appreciate. he does not have any obligation to tell us about all these different stages, and i imagine even huge companies have delays and problems that need to be worked out as they go along. but they don't tell the public those things. i think Jorg is providing us both with a great product and an education in his craft at the same time, for free. i respect your opinion, but mine is quite different.

·
Registered
50 Posts
you do realize that this is not Tissot or Seiko we are talking about here, right? Jorg is not some giant conglomerate. he works differently than a huge company, and this is exactly why so many of us spend our money on Stowa or Schauer watches. if you complain about Jorg's process (which you have every right to do), would you also complain about Philip Dufour and his methods? some of his watches are years overdue. Jorg has chosen to inform his customer's about every part of the process, which i think most of us appreciate. he does not have any obligation to tell us about all these different stages, and i imagine even huge companies have delays and problems that need to be worked out as they go along. but they don't tell the public those things. i think Jorg is providing us both with a great product and an education in his craft at the same time, for free. i respect your opinion, but mine is quite different.
I have to agree with Smitty. I am actually enjoying the wait, and I've really relished the updates, and having Jörg educate us along the way. I really like the fact that he has changed certain elements throughout the process based on customer input and his own ideas. I'm planning to download Jörg's picture's from this site to create an album of them so that I can show my friends who know very little about watches the hard work and innovation that went into making this piece.

Like Smitty said, everyone is entitled to his/her own opinion, but for me, this has been a fun journey!

G

·
I do respect your opinion, but mine is quite different.
"Accusing" Jörg of being "unprofessional" and running a "garage company" is - if not an unjustified allegation - kinda funny at least because Jörg has proven his knowledge and craftmanship for quite a time now, especially if Schauer watches are concerned.

It´s a long way from a draft to a final product and I like the way of Jörg´s sharing the steps of development with us even if he has to face minor or major backstrokes.
This is what happens with every watchmaking brand but they don´t tell the public. You´ll only get the final product.
With the development of the Tangomat NOMOS went a similar way with testing the prototype(s) by their customers (for example: rotor noise of the Tangomat) which - I have to admit - was a ingenious PR campaign.

I appreciate his way of interaction which even allows the first time lurker (non-prof.-WIS) to get some insights in watchmaking. You´ll get a "history" with your Stowa model without any surcharge. I am happy with that and I am thankful with (t)his policy. Makes the Jörg Schauer & Stowa Forum not as steril as other fora I use to visit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well I don't know if you have been following the developement of this watch from the beggining. Our anxiety for this watch made us reserve one even before Joerg could made any schedule.

He stated a delivery date scheduled for end autum 2007. Well, autumn en is Dec 21st and the reasons for delay have been explicit to the forum: I remember that more than 6 months ago he told that he wanted hand being made by the best: Universo and that their delivery was long.

He also included a modification of the caliber in order to get a more special watch: stop seconds and the company that makes this mod has his schedule also.

And finally the double back issue. What it seemed to be a good looking solution, turnd to be unpleasant for Joerg... and we are informed in every moment.... That's a good management of unexpected delays and is much more than other companies do.

I would like to know of any company that announces a watch when it's only on the drawing board that doesn't suffer of delays. It is easier if you are big business for your suppliers and not a small company.

I think we all know the advantages and disadvantages of buying from a small manufacturer.

And IMHO Jorg's big advantage is attention to customers.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Welcome,

You don't seem to understand the complexity of the development of a prototype (which is the present case) and the uniqueness of Jörg sharing that, with all its good and bad news. Jörg summed it up very well (and very professionally IMO) in the last phrase of the post that starts this thread:

"Always the first series of a new watch has special issues to check and to clear and still if you have drawings and ideas - the result has to be in your hand to see if everything works."

If we all had a position like yours Jörg should simply stop sharing new ideas and do all the work inside Stowa without opportunity for our feedback, like all other brands do. That way he would allways have the perfect solutions, because all the trial and error would be behind curtains, I repeat, like all the other brands do, don't think they have different methods or different problems.

I certainly prefer Jörg method and I only regret that other companies don't opt for this open communication approach. :-!

And please remember that whenever a whole bunch of people thinks differently than you it's more likely that they're right, not you. I allways do some reflection when my views differ from a whole group. ;)

·
Vendor
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dear haspe1,

thanks for your critic which i respect in general.

Of course i am not a garage company and of course i am not unproffesion.

If this is still your feeling of Schauer and STOWa maybe you have missed the last 17 years when i developed and produced about 400 Unique pieces under my brand Schauer (real unique pieces with unique cases in gold, silver, platinum, using movements like minuterepeater, perpetual calenders, Tourbillons and many other complicated movements), you ignore the Awards i got for my watches and so on.

Still i respect your way of thinking.

The only reason i don´t realy care about your feeling is the situation that i have learned to produce perfect products - and it doesn´t matter to me if they come to the market in the time i was thinking or not.
(for me some of the "proffesion" companies are realy unproffesion because they are not flexible enough to change their own timeframe and presentation if they have communicated once to the public. And the result: Many watche from big brands which are not realy proffesion, but of course they have come to the market when they should come, many people waiting and want the ordered watch - if it is perfect or not :))

I am different, this is one reason of my succes.

I first make every watch to satisfy me - personaly only me.

And with this watch (the airman original) i have to handle many problems behind (like the most here have recognized that every brand have this steps for new models)

I can tell you there are no products in the market which have been build like the first idea came for this new product.

Every development is a way with a target in front.

My target is to make a perfect watch and if i have to change details during the production process i will do - with no thinking of the launching time or costs.

At the end this is my way i have decided to do my business since 17 years.

It was alway the succesful way - of course not everybody follows this strategie, but this is life.

I hope you still keep the feeling to own this watch and i can promisse you that it will be a very special and good balanced watch.
(still if some people think it is very easy "just" to copy a old existing watch, but i can tell you, have a look at the existing airmanwatches- and please tell me how many "proffesion" companies have followed there old rules, it is not as easy at it looks)

And like the most owner of a STOWA watch it should be a watch you never should think: "Oh, if (for example) this small slots would not be seen i would love this watch forever"

Because if you find a detail you don´t like you would sell the watch one day.

For me it is always important to make a product as good as i have the possibilities - still if it costs a lot of money to change details during the production process.
:)

But my feeling was better after i decided to produce the caseback new.

And please remember how i was communicate this project from the beginning:

I always try to explain all poeple who shares the watchdevelopment that i am not able to tell all the details and launching tinme - it was always very carefully communicated because i had this feeling that this watch need a lot of time and care.

I hope you understand this philosophy of my small company.

Best regards

Jörg Schauer

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello haspe1,
I think there is one big difference between Stowa an other companies: They face the same problems, but they don't talk about them in the public.

Kind regards
Thomas

1 - 20 of 46 Posts