WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Great looking Seiko! I don't know what movement is in that watch but most Seikos have ~40hrs of power reserve. If you are getting nothing near that then I suggest a service may be in order.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess it has what is called a balance wheel. as you move it swings back and forth to wind it up. just dont know for how long after being taken off.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
The rotor is what swings around due to the kinetic energy your wrist supplies, not the balance wheel.

Like I said earlier, you should get over a days reserve before the watch becomes depleted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok it has held time over night but has lost 4 minutes. i found this statement on a watch site = It is considered “normal” for mechanical or automatic watches to gain/lose 4-6 minutes per day. is this true for a 1970 watch or should i send it out to my watch maker and have it looked at. it also states that if it looses the same amount of time then it is a accurate.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Wear the watch for a couple of days. If it continues to lose 4 minutes every day you wear it, then send it to your watchmaker.

Another thing, I believe you are confusing accuracy and precision. Accuracy means keeping close to perfect time, whether one day it gains 10 seconds and another is loses 15, after a week or so the errors will average out to zero. Precision, which I believe you are referring to, means hitting the same amount of error every day, even if that error is 4 minutes. Precision is more desirable since a good watchmaker can regulate the movement to offset the error.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
exactly. if it looses the same amount of time each day thats precision and is better than loosing 4 minutes one day and 2 minutes another day. ill wear it for a week to see what happens. i do realize its 40 years old and therefore is not going to be that right on. as i remember the one i bought back in 1970 wasnt all that accurate when new.

·
Registered
409 Posts
If you don't mind me stepping in here I think I can shed a little light on your watch.

I'm thoroughly familiar with the seiko 6117a GMT movements as I've been rebuilding/servicing them for some time. I absolutely love using the 6117 in 6105 dive watches

The 6117a 17 jewel movement is based on the same main plate designs as other seiko 61xx movements such as 6106, 6105 and 6119. It even shares some common parts with the 6309a movements as well. The movement is a workhorse and for all intensive purposes pretty bombproof, extremely reliable and accurate if properly serviced.

The power reserve for that watch should be at least 40 hours and I've got a couple that have hit over 50 hours with a fresh service. So if yours is struggling to last a day it's definitely time for a complete movement service.
As to accuracy, the spec on the movement is +/- 15 seconds per day. However mine hover closer to +/- 3 per day after being properly regulated using a timegrapher. So these old watches can be very accurate in the timekeeping department . If yours is loosing 4 minutes over night it's a strong indication that the movement is in dire need of a rebuild.

Best
Shawn

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ill give it a couple of days to see if it stays at 4 minutes. rebuild doesnt sound too good. i really like the watch because its the exact model i had bought over in viet nam in 1970. it lasted many many years and what messed it up is that i use to do shake roofs, id scribe the back of certain shake shingles and then hit them with my left hand to snap them off. ofcourse my left hand was the hand with my watch. after many years i noticed the hands were loose. took it to a local jewler, not a match maker, and he said it was just worn out. so here 25 years later i found this one/ honstley i wont even mind if it loose time but then if it can be made to keep better time, say lose only a couple minutes a day, without spending to much then it would be worth it to me. guess the only thing to do is send it to a watch maker to see what he says.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I have a different version of the same watch and find it also loses about 4 min a day. How much would such a rebuild cost?

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats what id like to know. might be a question only a watch maker can answer. yeah your watch looks the same just different face and hands.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Wow. Yeah, that's it. I inherited mine from my grandfather, who must not have worn it much because it's in great shape. I like it a lot and would be pleased if I could get it running better. 4' a day is too much since it means I have little confidence in what it's telling me, I've never aquired the discipline of resetting every day. I'd also really love to be able to give it to my sons, who never had the pleasur of meeting their great grandfather.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well my truck stereo has a clock. in fact i hardly ever need to know the time for my line of work. just that i had one and now have it again. ill get it fixed if it bothers me to much. i also have a seiko h601, electric duo-display, but its a little to nice to wear everyday in my work.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well its day two and sure enough it lost another 4 minutes. but that lost 4 minutes was between 10:00PM and 4:00AM when it was laying on a shelf, just like the other day. if i wear it there is no loss of time, at least none that i can notice. guess ill have to send it to my watch maker and see whats going on. seems the watch is keeping correct, but only if worn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts