WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading the sticky at the top of this forum about a big robbery in London. It seems it was an aggravated burglary. It brought back some questions that arose in my mind when seeing lists of very valuable watches on people's signature in WUS. If you don't sell your watches here or elsewhere, then I would imagine the risk is minimal, and we all enjoy seeing the gorgeous pictures of somebody's rare find.
However if you sell watches, regularly post pictures and keep a long list of your collection on your signature you could be at risk. When you sell you need, usually to provide a return address. Some services will not let you use a PO Box address. That address leads straight back to the location of your valuable collection! The cost of the purchase of say a $1500 (or less) watch could be a small price to pay if it may lead to 10s of thousands of dollars of watches. The risk could be higher if you use the same user name on ebay, WUS, and other watch forums, I have seen sellers here who publicise this fact. Watch forum users are generally cautious about who they sell to, but if you trade on ebay as well and you can be linked to your pics and collection here or elsewhere, then the traceability of the criminal becomes all the harder .
I am in no way suggesting that this is what happened in the London robbery, I do not know any details about it except what was posted on WUS. The above is just a hypothesis, but given that unfortunately, criminality and intelligence are not mutually exclusive, it could be a reality. Worth consideration, if only to dismiss it.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
You are right. If people want to know where I live, it will take them a little bit of thinking, and the info they allready have of me, to find my home adress very easily.

The problems they will encounter are an alarmsystem, burglarproof doors and windows and 2 (soon 3) dogs.

·
Banned
637 Posts
You are right. If people want to know where I live, it will take them a little bit of thinking, and the info they allready have of me, to find my home adress very easily.

The problems they will encounter are an alarmsystem, burglarproof doors and windows and 2 (soon 3) dogs.
Cool, thanks for the info - I'll be stopping by in the next couple of days :)

·
Registered
18,166 Posts
I have been asked to cross post this from a thread in vintage Old timer observations about robbery:

My career ended with me being a senior security engineer for one of the very large telecoms. Security has lots of TLAs (three letter acronyms) but it is really simple. You minimize risk to an acceptable level.

"Acceptable Level" is optimal when the cost of improvements in security exceed the expected loss by not having the improvements. And risk itself is the probability of loss multiplied by the value of the loss.

Obviously the numbers you plug are estimates. Experience makes better estimates. But this gives a model for evaluating security in a semi-rational view.

In the IT industry security is implemented by preventing in the future breeches of the type that have already occurred. Some in the industry might take exception to that but it is largely true.

In the physical security industry the threats have not evolved as rapidly and a much longer history exists of what works and what does not. So it is easier.

What would the loss be to you? This is key. Things you can face loosing don't need expensive and inconvenient solutions.

What is the "liquidation value" of a physical asset that is stolen? The higher liquidation is, the more attractive to miscreants.

What is likelihood of a "loss event" occurring? In some places unoccupied dwellings suffer loss within 48 hours. In some places occupied dwellings are subject to "loss events". But for most, it is not a sure thing. (I have a friend who lives in a town where no one locks their doors except at night... I understand that is common in Canada. In Amman a merchant need only pull the curtain in the doorway to the street to assure no one walks in.) Good numbers on likelihood are critical but, really, everyone knows their neighborhood. Experiments have shown estimates of risk are often grossly in error but good information is the best antidote.

This is the way critical infrastructure calculates risk and makes security decisions. You can do it too. And I promise if you do I will not make you write reports or emails. Promise. (In a big business, that is often the big work load... or, at least, the most critical work. If you can't write good email the bosses will do whatever is in their heads and security will go all to heck... LOL)

I close with one remark: Defense is in layers. But those that use deadly force as their first line of defense are probably ill prepared. Start with good locks and go from there.

Reactions: tom_hanx

·
Registered
333 Posts

A gun to your head or that of a member of your family will solve 3 out of 4 quite easily, if someone means harm.

In a similar story, someone in the Netherlands got robbed at gun point a few weeks ago as well. He lost 5 figures worth of watches.

I think the best thing to do is to be very careful with your personal information and don't take chances at all.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
As much as I love my watches, some of my more valuable ones are in a bank safe (especially family heirlooms), along with jewelry, valuable photographs etc. And they're all insured.

Well worth it, IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,244 Posts
I have thought this very same thing. I have posted in the past on this issue and of my concerns of listing my collection only to be laughed off. The reality of it all is that a criminal does not think the way the average person does. These "secure" safeguards we have applied to deter the criminal can all be gotten around by the professional. Alarms are no big deal. A safe is no big deal. They will simply throw the dog a pork chop or shoot the dog and take care of that problem. The most sophisticated doors and windows can be dealt with. And, they can find you. I just would not post my collections. Why make it easy for them? On the same note, these secure measures can help to deter the average smash and grab thief or the street thug, and I guess that's all we can do.
cottontop

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Of all the crime commited, only a very small percent is when the criminal is holding a deadly weapon against you or your family.

We can not protect ourselves against every possible scenario.

And, if that would happen, trust me, I will even give him the watchboxes....

Nothing I own is worth myself or my family getting hurt.
What I did not mention is that I have "leathal weapons" in our bedroom, in case anybody should manage to get into the house. (not likely).
They are fully legal.

Quite a few people here on island know of my small watch collection and my cars. Unavoidable in a such small place.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Of all the crime commited, only a very small percent is when the criminal is holding a deadly weapon against you or your family.

We can not protect ourselves against every possible scenario.

And, if that would happen, trust me, I will even give him the watchboxes....

Nothing I own is worth myself or my family getting hurt.
What I did not mention is that I have "leathal weapons" in our bedroom, in case anybody should manage to get into the house. (not likely).
They are fully legal.

Quite a few people here on island know of my small watch collection and my cars. Unavoidable in a such small place.
That's all very true.

But I'd stay away from sharing too much personal information. I think these 2 recent cases should at least make people refrain from posting too much personal information on the internet. Especially with twitter and facebook a lot of people share a lot of information. For example, how many people nowadays share their vacation plans online? Quite a few. For people that mean well it's a great way to share their lives with their friends and family. But for bad people it's an easy way to get information that was a lot harder to obtain a few years ago.

Having certain safety measures in place (e.g. a safe, an alarm system or a gun) can give a false sense of security. Having a dog might scare off a thug looking to nick your laptop and wallet, it won't scare off someone that knows you have 50 grand worth of watches. People commit crimes for a lot less money, even if the watches can't be unloaded at anywhere near (normal) value.
The usage of weapons differs per country, but there have been several violent robberies in the past few months in the country where I currently reside. Heck even Bernie Ecclestone was violently robbed by 4 guys.

But then I fully agree, if something was to happen, please do take any valuables and be off without violence. It's just not worth getting hurt over a few timepieces.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Janne that really depends on where one is living. There are many places in the United States where the only crime is violent, most times very violent, crime which almost always involves the use of firearms.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I am thinking world wide.

·
Registered
829 Posts
My collection is not that valuable but me and the Colt are always on guard at home. I'm more worried about being robbed while wearing a nice watch because you never know when some scumbag might decide it's worth the risk.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I am far from being a collector and never will be - not enough wrists or time to rotate. Anyhow, to stay on topic: Following the ugly story with Mike, I was flipping through my head previous exchanges where I supplied address...

And thinking pretty much as described by Eeeb, I figured that from now on I will only ship to my office address - tons of security there 24/7 + I would be taking all home. Reducing the risk to an acceptable level by creating a diversion ;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts