WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I am looking for a trendy/fashion Friday watch - something I can go clubbing/partying with.
Ideally, I want:
- $100 - $500
- ideally new
- Quartz(Battery) / Kinetic(Seiko) movement. I don't really want a mechanical watch because they require commitment to upkeep and maintain.
- Oversize, but not too much: 44-48 mm. I realized 50mm+ looks too big on my wrist. I dont want a dinner plate on my wrist. :)
- Tan/Brown Leather strap
- Chronograph
- Very reliable known brand, solid watch, preferably Swiss
- something that stands out a bit, a bit flashy, but not too much.

I am a newbie here, so my question might have been asked and answered already. If so, please point me to it. :)

Finally, thanks for your suggestions, in advance.

These are the watches I am considering, but I do NOT ABSOLUTELY like them, so I want something similar:
Nixon-The-48-20-Chrono-Leather-Watch-04-570x807.jpg 91XaCfybYqL._UY550_.jpg $_35.JPG 0a669fed-7c26-411f-a855-f482981db882.jpg tw-steel-grandeur-chrono-orange-tw53-5.jpg

·
Registered
550 Posts
First in your price range I doubt your gonna find a swiss automatic chronograph they start around $600. And you do know that automatic require servicing as well so they do have an upkeep cost every few years. Servicing of a chronograph can run from $150 and up. The Xitizen AO9030-05E Eco-Drive would probably be a good choice for you. Never have to change a battery watch charges in light. Comes in at 43mm which is just under what you wanted but I feel it's a great watch for the price.

·
Registered
550 Posts
If you want swiss a Victorinox may be an option too though this one's slightly above budget

·
Registered
10,859 Posts
Hi all,

I am looking for a trendy Friday watch - something I can go clubbing with.
Ideally, I want:
- $100 - $500
- ideally new
- Quartz(Battery) / Kinetic(Seiko) movement. I don't really want a mechanical watch because they require commitment to upkeep and maintain.
- Oversize, but not too much: 44-48 mm. I realized 50mm+ looks too big on my wrist. I dont want a dinner plate on my wrist. :)
- Tan/Brown Leather strap
- Chronograph
- Very reliable known brand, preferably Swiss
- something that stands out a bit, a bit flashy, but not too much.

I am a newbie here, so my question might have been asked and answered already. If so, please point me to it. :)

Finally, thanks for your suggestions, in advance.

These are the watches I am considering, but I do NOT ABSOLUTELY like them, so I want something similar:
Random comments before zeroing in on suggestions:

- Seiko Kinetics can be a pain if you don't wear them regularly. The battery doesn't handle being run all the way down very well-- it may not come back to life if it ever runs completely down. It also takes a LOT of wearing to build up battery charge. You're much better off with standard quartz (and just changing the battery every 2-3 years) or solar -- Seiko Solar or Citizen Eco-Drive. They're more tolerant of being run down (but not 100% tolerant) and all they need is light so just store them someplace where they get some light.

- None of the brands you've listed are Swiss. Stuhrling in particular uses a name that implies that it's Swiss, but it's really Chinese.

- Swiss, at the lower price points, don't tend to be particularly large, so 42-44mm is probably more common than 45-48mm. Inexpensive Swiss is probably best left to Wenger, (some) Rotary and maybe something like ESQ. Japanese is probably your best bet if you don't find something from one of the reputable Swiss name-brands. Going with a brand you're not familiar with can be tricky. That said, I'm going to make one recommendation you may not have heard of yet (Torgoen)

- Changing straps is easy, provided the watch has a "standard" strap mounting. Good leather is probably $25+ and a strap change tool is around $8, but you can factor that into your budget if you find something that's perfect otherwise but just doesn't have the perfect strap.

- Of the ones listed, the Nixon actually looks pretty sharp, despite being a "fashion" brand. The Fossil is going to be decent/fair and priced relatively fairly for the quality if you like the style. I suspect the TWSteel may be a bit overpriced. The Parnis is by *far* the nicest but also fanciest watch listed and... an automatic... and... not a chronograph.

Stuff I'd look at:

Android - in General. Nice watches that cover the size range you're looking for. Definitely not bland. I have an Antiforce Chronograph at 46mm that has serious wrist presence and a fantastic (seiko VK64) mechanism.

As noted, Citizen Eco-Drive.

Specifically I'd look at the BL5250: http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BL5250-02L-Titanium-Eco-Drive-Leather/dp/B000EQS0WK

Good quality, Titanium, solar. The pictures don't really show it well, but the dial is more of a very dark blue with a lighter, shiny blue on the dials. Slightly under size at 43mm but not tiny.

Torgoen T16

http://www.amazon.com/Torgoen-Swiss-T16103-Aviation-Leather/dp/B002YK4R1W

45mm, very strong wrist presence, the problem being the Swiss price premium. You may want to look at some of the other Torgoens too, specifically the T30 series.

and

The Entire Bulova Precisionist Chronograph lineup. Generally large-ish, amazing chronograph mechanism, but none on brown leather by default. Still very much worth a look'

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...:7141123011,k:bulova+precisionist+chronograph

Reactions: hanshananigan

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
For strictly going out, I would look in to Deep Blue. They focus primarily on divers, but the thing I find good for what you are looking for, is the size and the lume. I think having a luminous watch for going out would be fun, and would draw attention without having to be huge and gaudy. They have watches with different colored tritium that would make an interesting watch at night in a bar or club.

Example of Deep Blue Daynight
yhst-11234668104341_2228_9090675.jpg

Also Japanese movements in this price range are equally as good.

Seiko typically has pretty good lume. SSC range would be good, either the solar divers or solar chronograph SSC229/SSC231

1328774685-SOLAR.jpg
110y5p1.jpg

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
android-usa is what you want to look at.
they have big watches and bigger.
materials, build and quality are good. usually use Seiko or Swiss movements.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, Thank you so much for the replies. I have some more suggestions now, but still not totally decided.
I posted this at work yesterday, and I forgot about it, because it was Friday, and I was only thinking about getting drunk. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First in your price range I doubt your gonna find a swiss automatic chronograph they start around $600. And you do know that automatic require servicing as well so they do have an upkeep cost every few years. Servicing of a chronograph can run from $150 and up. The Xitizen AO9030-05E Eco-Drive would probably be a good choice for you. Never have to change a battery watch charges in light. Comes in at 43mm which is just under what you wanted but I feel it's a great watch for the price.
Thank you jeg5263. I like this watch, but I dont think its trendy enough for a Friday watch for me.
The other thing is my family loves quality Japanese watches. My dad and my brother both have Citizens, and I think so did my grandpa.
And I heva Seiko. So I kinda dont want a Citizen or Seiko.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want swiss a Victorinox may be an option too though this one's slightly above budget
Thanks again jeg5263.
Oh man, I really like this, but its still not flashy enough. However, I started looking at its cousins, and there are some trendy 44-48 mm watches from Victorinox, although outside my price-range, so I may be swayed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Random comments before zeroing in on suggestions:
- Seiko Kinetics can be a pain if you don't wear them regularly. The battery doesn't handle being run all the way down very well-- it may not come back to life if it ever runs completely down. It also takes a LOT of wearing to build up battery charge. You're much better off with standard quartz (and just changing the battery every 2-3 years) or solar -- Seiko Solar or Citizen Eco-Drive. They're more tolerant of being run down (but not 100% tolerant) and all they need is light so just store them someplace where they get some light.
Thanks OvrSteer. The thing isI own a Seiko Kinetic, and really love it. Its a bit heavy, but the reserve is 6 months. I want to keep wearing that every-day, except for when I go out.

- None of the brands you've listed are Swiss. Stuhrling in particular uses a name that implies that it's Swiss, but it's really Chinese.
Thanks for the info. I will stay away from Stuhrling now.

- Swiss, at the lower price points, don't tend to be particularly large, so 42-44mm is probably more common than 45-48mm. Inexpensive Swiss is probably best left to Wenger, (some) Rotary and maybe something like ESQ. Japanese is probably your best bet if you don't find something from one of the reputable Swiss name-brands. Going with a brand you're not familiar with can be tricky. That said, I'm going to make one recommendation you may not have heard of yet (Torgoen)
- Changing straps is easy, provided the watch has a "standard" strap mounting. Good leather is probably $25+ and a strap change tool is around $8, but you can factor that into your budget if you find something that's perfect otherwise but just doesn't have the perfect strap.
Thanks. This is something I didnt think of.

- Of the ones listed, the Nixon actually looks pretty sharp, despite being a "fashion" brand. The Fossil is going to be decent/fair and priced relatively fairly for the quality if you like the style. I suspect the TWSteel may be a bit overpriced. The Parnis is by *far* the nicest but also fanciest watch listed and... an automatic... and... not a chronograph.
Yes, I really want a "fashion" watch but reliable and long-lasting.

Stuff I'd look at:

Android - in General. Nice watches that cover the size range you're looking for. Definitely not bland. I have an Antiforce Chronograph at 46mm that has serious wrist presence and a fantastic (seiko VK64) mechanism.

As noted, Citizen Eco-Drive.

Specifically I'd look at the BL5250: http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BL5250-02L-Titanium-Eco-Drive-Leather/dp/B000EQS0WK

Good quality, Titanium, solar. The pictures don't really show it well, but the dial is more of a very dark blue with a lighter, shiny blue on the dials. Slightly under size at 43mm but not tiny.

Torgoen T16

Amazon.com: Torgoen Swiss Men's T16103 "Aviation" Beige Dial and Leather Strap Watch: Torgoen: Watches

45mm, very strong wrist presence, the problem being the Swiss price premium. You may want to look at some of the other Torgoens too, specifically the T30 series.

and

The Entire Bulova Precisionist Chronograph lineup. Generally large-ish, amazing chronograph mechanism, but none on brown leather by default. Still very much worth a look'

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...:7141123011,k:bulova+precisionist+chronograph
OK Android, Torgoen and Bulova are certainly brands I am going to consider.
The thing about Citizen is, even though I like it, everyone in my family has at least one.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For strictly going out, I would look in to Deep Blue. They focus primarily on divers, but the thing I find good for what you are looking for, is the size and the lume. I think having a luminous watch for going out would be fun, and would draw attention without having to be huge and gaudy. They have watches with different colored tritium that would make an interesting watch at night in a bar or club.

Also Japanese movements in this price range are equally as good.

Seiko typically has pretty good lume. SSC range would be good, either the solar divers or solar chronograph SSC229/SSC231
Thanks goody2141.
As much as I like Seiko, I already own one, and now I want something else.
Regarding Deep-blue, I am definitely considering it.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts