WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello one and all. I'm new on the forum and have to admit I know very little about watches. I was talking to a friend of mine last night about a watch he owns. He doesn't use a computer hence my posting. Any advice, leads or information will be gratefully received. The watch in question is an Avia. He has had it for about 50 years. It is very slim and is ( obviously ) of a mechanical type. It has two external means of speeding up or slowing down which are at the bottom of the watch. He recently took it to a local watchmaker because he could no longer wind it up and the strap was broken. The watchmaker ( and another independent buyer of watches ) said they had never seen an Avia like it before. The watchmaker had opened the back in the course of his repair and found the working to be sprung mounted. He said this would minimize any damage should the watch be dropped. My friend confirmed he had dropped it more than once but the watch had never stopped. Both the watchmaker and independent buyer said it either had to be specially made by Avia, or was of a very limited edition. The workings were jewel mounted ( ? ). At this time ( sorry ), I do not know if the watch is chrome, silver or gold/plated, nor do I know the model number. Incidentally, the watchmaker said the makers signature was inside the watch, and also the back had been removed once before and a signature had been added at that time ( sorry again ). Both the watchmaker and buyer were very interested in buying the watch but my friend chose not to sell it -- yet. Over to the experts on the forum. Does anyone know anything about this watch ? Values would also be appreciated. Maybe he should take it along to an independant valuer ? He is talking about taking it to one of the televised programmes to seek advice and valuation. Thank you for taking the time to read my post and hopefully giving your advice.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Maybe he should take it along to an independant valuer ? He is talking about taking it to one of the televised programmes to seek advice and valuation.
Yeah - Do either of those.

Can't help, vague doesn't begin to cover it - you've given 'us' nothing to work with !

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you posted some pics, including pics of the movement, someone here could probably tell you more about the watch.

Unfortunately, nobody is going to be able to give you a value for the watch, even with pics, so you will probably want to take somewhere else.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts