WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used this board as a resource many times, but have never posted. I found myself in a unique and unexpected situation today. After mulling it over for a couple years, I finally pulled the trigger on an Omega Speedmaster 3511.50 last month. I really loved this watch because it's a great brand, a reverse panda, the price was right and (I believe) this variation of the Speedmaster launched the year I was born. It's also obviously the first nice watch I've ever owned, it works well and I love it.

Today, however, I won an Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow 3551.50.00. I'm obviously over the moon about this, but now I have two Speedmasters.

I definitely intend to sell one of them to fund a purchase of a different watch, but which one should I sell? The black dial 3551.50.00 doesn't have white sub dials, which I really prefer, but it's clearly a much better watch and has more value. I also have a very small wrist, so the 3511.50 is a great fit for it.

What would you do?

If I sold the Broad Arrow 3551.50, I would likely get either a Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight, a Breitling Navitimer, or invest some more money and get a Datejust. If I sold the 3511.50 instead, I'd probably go for a Tag Heuer Aquaracer or Aquaracer GMT. Essentially, I'd like to diversify my collection as to not have two Omega chronographs. For context, the rest of my modest collection includes a Seiko SKX007, G-Shock GA110-1B, and a Lorier Falcon.

Again, I'm still relatively new to watch collecting, so any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
I've used this board as a resource many times, but have never posted. I found myself in a unique and unexpected situation today. After mulling it over for a couple years, I finally pulled the trigger on an Omega Speedmaster 3511.50 last month. I really loved this watch because it's a great brand, a reverse panda, the price was right and (I believe) this variation of the Speedmaster launched the year I was born. It's also obviously the first nice watch I've ever owned, it works well and I love it.

Today, however, I won an Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow 3551.50.00. I'm obviously over the moon about this, but now I have two Speedmasters.

I definitely intend to sell one of them to fund a purchase of a different watch, but which one should I sell? The black dial 3551.50.00 doesn't have white sub dials, which I really prefer, but it's clearly a much better watch and has more value. I also have a very small wrist, so the 3511.50 is a great fit for it.

What would you do?

If I sold the Broad Arrow 3551.50, I would likely get either a Tudor Black Bay Fifty-Eight, a Breitling Navitimer, or invest some more money and get a Datejust. If I sold the 3511.50 instead, I'd probably go for a Tag Heuer Aquaracer or Aquaracer GMT. Essentially, I'd like to diversify my collection as to not have two Omega chronographs. For context, the rest of my modest collection includes a Seiko SKX007, G-Shock GA110-1B, and a Lorier Falcon.

Again, I'm still relatively new to watch collecting, so any advice or thoughts would be appreciated!

What size is your wrist.

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
That Broad Arrow is 42mm right? Keep the 3511 as your Omega Chrono. I'm a sucker for Panda's reverse or other, year of birth if you dig that sort of thing.

I have 7.25" wrist and 42mm is my max...others will tell you "its fine" but it will go (almost) from one end of your wrist to the other. Sure there are people wearing 46mm Breitling on their 6" wrist but well...:censored:

Use the money and diversify your collection as you said. A BB58 would be great to add. I think seeing what your considering you will be short lived with the Tag Aqua Racer - plus not sure but aren't they 43mm?

Do it right. Don't settle...you might end up losing money trying to resell some of those.

Just my opinion. You were asking for opinions.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That Broad Arrow is 42mm right? Keep the 3511 as your Omega Chrono. I'm a sucker for Panda's reverse or other, year of birth if you dig that sort of thing.

I have 7.25" wrist and 42mm is my max...others will tell you "its fine" but it will go (almost) from one end of your wrist to the other. Sure there are people wearing 46mm Breitling on their 6" wrist but well...:censored:

Use the money and diversify your collection as you said. A BB58 would be great to add. I think seeing what your considering you will be short lived with the Tag Aqua Racer - plus not sure but aren't they 43mm?

Do it right. Don't settle...you might end up losing money trying to resell some of those.

This is super helpful and makes a lot of sense - thank you, Mickey!

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I say wear them both for a bit and go from there.
+1.

FWIW, here's my unsolicited advice on "watch collecting" in general. Try not to fall into the common trap of trying to "collect" for the sake of building a 'collection' for anyone else but you. For instance, if you happen to love both there's nothing wrong with having 2 Omegas and no other brands. Thinking about it as building a collection is the trap, you start buying watches to diversify, fill potential roles, garner respect, etc., when all it really should be is looking down at your wrist and seeing if it makes you smile. If more people started doing this I'm confident the Rolex bubble would burst, just from the people who got or strive to get a Rolex just because it's a Rolex. Take for example, yours truly. After all, those who can't, teach, right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
+1.

FWIW, here's my unsolicited advice on "watch collecting" in general. Try not to fall into the common trap of trying to "collect" for the sake of building a 'collection' for anyone else but you. For instance, if you happen to love both there's nothing wrong with having 2 Omegas and no other brands. Thinking about it as building a collection is the trap, you start buying watches to diversify, fill potential roles, garner respect, etc., when all it really should be is looking down at your wrist and seeing if it makes you smile. If more people started doing this I'm confident the Rolex bubble would burst, just from the people who got or strive to get a Rolex just because it's a Rolex. Take for example, yours truly. After all, those who can't, teach, right?
These are really great points and the reason I will likely stick with the 3511.50. I know it's not the better watch, but I'd wanted it for so long that I'm constantly wearing and staring at it. The black Submariner Date is my dream watch, but it's not attainable for me and may never be. That's why I've been drawn to the Black Bay Fifty-Eight - a watch I thought I could maybe afford in a couple years and likely get the most time on my wrist. Not overly keen on gilt, but we'll see what happens. Thanks a ton for the response - I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Keep whichever one makes you feel the most content. It sounds like you’re not concerned about cost and value, so ignore everything except how you feel with each watch on your wrist. Unless how your wrist looks to others is a big deal, size should only be dictated by comfort and your own satisfaction

·
Registered
376 Posts

I second this comment. If it was me s
with 7.7 inch wrist, 42mm is the best size. However, 42mm may be too big for you. I know this skinny guy with a speedy pro (also 42mm), and it looked big. Same guy also has a 46mm superocean heritage, and that looks as if somebody put a costco pizza on his wrist.

Broad arrow is a great watch, but there really is no financial incentive for you to keep and hold, like some do with their rolexes,after all. Sure, watches should all be about hobby and what you want. That said, what you said so far seems to suggest you will be likely use your watches to fullest, if you traded your broad arrow for a bb58, something i would have done myself if i was in your shoes (though ill go for 41mm bb).

Besides, there is a beauty in keeping your first pokemon! Sadly, watches do not evolve, nor learn hyper beam, but you get my point!

·
Registered
376 Posts
These are really great points and the reason I will likely stick with the 3511.50. I know it's not the better watch, but I'd wanted it for so long that I'm constantly wearing and staring at it. The black Submariner Date is my dream watch, but it's not attainable for me and may never be. That's why I've been drawn to the Black Bay Fifty-Eight - a watch I thought I could maybe afford in a couple years and likely get the most time on my wrist. Not overly keen on gilt, but we'll see what happens. Thanks a ton for the response - I really appreciate it!
I feel you on a sub! You should still reach for a sub and never settle, but black bay 58, especially blue one, will give you enough sub vibe and its unique flavor enough for you to want to keep a bb58, once time comes for you to afford a sub! God forbid, you may not end up liking the sub once you try them, as i find the new ceramic bezel subs a bit...lifeless...(to each his own)

Personally, had a pepsi gmt master obsession, then got to try on a 5 digit (too small) i almost bought, and my cousins new pepsi (didnt dig the font and ceramic color/texture). Then I tried my friends bb gmt, then used my money to get a bbgmt and rest of money to get other watch of my liking. I think my bb gmt eventually transitioned my goal to getting a batman at retail, when i am lucky enough, (the batman bezel rolex got it right), but alleviated much of the toxic obsession part, so i can be now 100% okay not owning a batman, ever.
Maybe a bb58 can pull similar trick for you as well...

·
Registered
7,299 Posts
The Broad Arrow is a nice watch. Although, for a 6.5 inch wrist - like yours AND mine - the lugs and end-links pose a problem when it comes to a perfect fit. It's a classic Speedmaster case design, but the lugs don't curve downward enough to provide a snug fit on a small wrist. Coupled with this is the end-link design whereby the middle link of the bracelet's end-link protrudes beyond the length of the lugs. Sure, a strap goes a long way towards solving the fit issue, but if you don't wanna wear it on a strap, your options are limited.
Basically, I'd move the Broad Arrow. Especially if it was never part of your game-plan. If the 3511.00 (nice watch, but the way. I saw a lot of them when I first got into watches) was a Grail Watch for you, then keep it and yes, go for the BB58 with the proceeds that you get from selling the BA.

I'm biased, though. I have a BB58. It's perhaps the closest match to what the Rolex Submariner was fifteen years ago before the lugs and crown guards got beefier.
I also have Speedmaster Pro, a Planet Ocean and a vintage Seamaster 300. All three of these watches are 42mm and they fit well enough, but man, if they were a mil or two smaller!

This topic comes up from time to time;

Omega fan + Small wrist = what do you do?

Best of luck. There are no hard and fast rules. The opinions of watch websites, YouTube vBloggers, Instagrammers and other influencers, and even those of us here, are just that.
Go for the watches that make you happy.
Your money, your wrist, your choice.
And have fun!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts