WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My employer has a 5-year anniversary watch discount program, and my five years are just about up. So I'm planning to buy my first "luxury" watch sometime in the next couple weeks.

I've been doing research online, studying my copy of "Wrist Watch Annual 2008", sending away for manufacturer catalogs for months (the Omega catalog finally arrived today, though it's the 2007 version!), and visiting the local Tourneau. Yet after all this, I'm still not sure which one to buy.

I've determined that the features I like in a watch, in roughly decreasing order of importance, are the following:

1. Ideally a list price of $3K-$4K, though I can probably stretch to $6K.
  2. Chronograph
  3. Date window
  4. Ideally ~42-44mm in size
  5. Suitable for everyday casual wear (not delicate)
  6. Suitable for the occasional suit (not too wild looking)
  7. Clean and very readable face (Breitlings are too busy for me)
  8. Day window (nice but not required)
  9. Display back (also nice but not required)
So, any suggestions for which watches would best match my desires? While I'm actually considering all brands that Tourneau has to offer, I'm encouraged to choose Omega by way of a larger discount compared to the other brands. That's why I'm posting here. Plus, I like Omega.

Initially, I had my heart set on the Planet Ocean Chronograph with an orange bezel, but after reading about all the 33xx movement problems I'm not sure I want to gamble on it. My wife also thinks the orange bezel may be a bit too trendy, which seems like a valid concern, though I do really like the way it looks.

When I stopped by Tourneau to take a look at their lineup, I expected the Speedmaster Day-Date to be a great choice, but found it too small, and I also didn't like the thin bezel much. I need to take another look. The helpful salesman at Tourneau recommended the blue-bezel 300M "Bond" Chronograph, and that watch is currently my leading contender from Omega. It's quite a nice looking watch, and it also seems to be the only non-33xx model mechanical chronograph with date window in Omega's lineup. Are there others I'm missing? Any recommendations or words of advice?

I was hoping to locate a big table or Excel spreadsheet listing the entire Omega lineup, including dimensions, movement, features, and list price. Alas, so far I've been unable to find anything of the sort.

To be honest, my favorite watch at the moment is probably the IWC Aqua Timer, though it's really tough to justify that much money. If anyone has direct comparisons of Omegas with that watch, I'd be interested to hear them. I do like that orange bezel POC...

-Brett

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Go vintage. Best deal on the street. An Omega Mk 4,5 1045. Pristine examples go for less than $3,000.00, still. Solid like a tank, 42mm, highly readable, good for casual and smart wear and probably a good investment.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Oops, just realised that you may only be able to buy a new watch, through your employer's discount program. Not sure what your discount will be, but keep in mind that if you buy through the 'favorite ' AD, you may get 30% off, anyway.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Brett. As far as a spreadsheet comparing various Omega models, your best bet is to visit Omega's website: omegawatches.com.
Other than prices, all the info you're looking for is there. There are a lot of websites out there that have list prices.

Based on your requirements and the fact that you didn't especially care for the Speedy Date or Day-Date, the Bond SMPCh is the only Omega option that I can think of. It's a solid, tank of a watch, powered by a proven reliable movement.

Good luck with your decision!

eric

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'll Echo Epatz's choice for the Omega 2599.80. A really nice piece with a reliable movement that you can get them for a very reasonnable price now... Kinda makes me wish I had:-x

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Are 33##'s definitley off the menu for you? If not then this is a must.

It's not co-axial and apparently models prior to 05 were the ones that were affected.

When I spoke to the forum fave AD a few months back, this was his one and only watch and in his opinion nothing else compared bearing in mind he could have what he likes from the entire range, I think that's fair testament.

Although listen to me at your peril........I am slighlty mental as I have 2 33##'s!! :-d

·
Registered
44 Posts
Brett -
I tend to agree with you about the Breitlings but have you considered the Superocean Heritage Chronograph? Oris also has some nice looking watches that are a bit different from the norm. They are not COSC-certified but are less expensive...but perhaps in this case that's not the point.
For what it's worth I ended up with a non-chrono PO. The sweeping hand was more important to me than the ability to time something.

Have fun deciding!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oops, just realised that you may only be able to buy a new watch, through your employer's discount program. Not sure what your discount will be, but keep in mind that if you buy through the 'favorite ' AD, you may get 30% off, anyway.
I can buy used, but there's no discount if I do so. For new watches, the Omega discount I get is a bit better than 30% (guess I shouldn't be too specific to avoid violating forum rules), so I'll probably go new.

If this watch bug keeps biting after this purchase, however, I think vintage will be where I switch my focus.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I love the IWC spitfire cronograph. I beleive that it is less than some of the other IWCs but im not 100% sure.

If you want to got the omega route then id go for the bond chrono. (i dont trust the 33xx)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I've determined that the features I like in a watch, in roughly decreasing order of importance, are the following:

1. Ideally a list price of $3K-$4K, though I can probably stretch to $6K.
  2. Chronograph
  3. Date window
  4. Ideally ~42-44mm in size
  5. Suitable for everyday casual wear (not delicate)
  6. Suitable for the occasional suit (not too wild looking)
  7. Clean and very readable face (Breitlings are too busy for me)
  8. Day window (nice but not required)
  9. Display back (also nice but not required)
So, any suggestions for which watches would best match my desires? While I'm actually considering all brands that Tourneau has to offer, I'm encouraged to choose Omega by way of a larger discount compared to the other brands. That's why I'm posting here. Plus, I like Omega.

-Brett
I can't help with Tourneau and prefer older IWC models, but just by your list of requirements above, I'd say that the Speedmaster Professional 'Sapphire Sandwich' fits the bill almost perfectly ( though your date window and optional day window would be missing from the spec ) - model ref 3573.50

I have the 3570.50 and it's a great watch - rugged and very versatile.

If you're not too concerned about the day / date - I'd say this is your watch.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Brett -
I tend to agree with you about the Breitlings but have you considered the Superocean Heritage Chronograph? Oris also has some nice looking watches that are a bit different from the norm. They are not COSC-certified but are less expensive...but perhaps in this case that's not the point.
For what it's worth I ended up with a non-chrono PO. The sweeping hand was more important to me than the ability to time something.

Have fun deciding!
I do very much like the appearance of the Superocean Heritage Chronograph, but I got the impression it won't actually be available for many months. I've discovered that the watch companies have an annoying habit of announcing products long before you can possibly buy one. Is the SOHC in stores yet?

I've also looked at the Oris line, but none of them really grab me. They do seem like very nice watches for the price.

Thanks for the tips!

-Brett

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
i'd echo what whifferdill said. personally, i like the vintage feel/look of the speedy pro. i wouldn't want the date. but, if you do, i think the smp chrono is the best if you're going to go with omega.

SOC is certainly nice! reminds me a little of omega/rolex styling...not breitling! i've heard that not many are going to be available when they actually become available.

I can't help with Tourneau and prefer older IWC models, but just by your list of requirements above, I'd say that the Speedmaster Professional 'Sapphire Sandwich' fits the bill almost perfectly ( though your date window and optional day window would be missing from the spec ) - model ref 3573.50

I have the 3570.50 and it's a great watch - rugged and very versatile.

If you're not too concerned about the day / date - I'd say this is your watch.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
My votes are for the Omega Seamaster Chronograph (Blue Bond) and Sinn 103 St Sa, or any other 103.
Yes the Sinn 103 St Sa would be hard to beat actually - certainly ticks all the boxes. It'd be that or the Speedy sapphire for me in the same position.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Working in the industry you are in you want something left field

You already know all the standard fare so allow me to challenge you with two 'talking point' pieces that offer a lot of watch for your money...

http://www.ninanet.net/watches/others06/Mediums/mseikof.html

http://www.timezone.com/library/rdnotebook/200711199915

Surprise everyone!
Ooh, those are nice. I'm a fan of Seiko; currently wearing a Coutura kinetic quartz chronograph. I didn't see any high-end Seiko's at tourneau.com, but I'll definitely ask about these models the next time I'm at the physical store.

-Brett

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
if you're interested in some of those, you might have to directly order from seiya-san or higuchi-san.
Ooh, those are nice. I'm a fan of Seiko; currently wearing a Coutura kinetic quartz chronograph. I didn't see any high-end Seiko's at tourneau.com, but I'll definitely ask about these models the next time I'm at the physical store.

-Brett

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes the Sinn 103 St Sa would be hard to beat actually - certainly ticks all the boxes. It'd be that or the Speedy sapphire for me in the same position.
I really like the Sinn line (and Temption, too), but unfortunately Tourneau doesn't carry either of those brands. Another brand I got excited about in my research before discovering they aren't available at Tourneau is Ball.

Tourneau recently picked up a new brand, Bremont, that has some nice looking pilots watches (at least they look nice in photos). But unlike Sinn, the Bremont watches are really pricey. For that kind of money, I think I want a brand with enough history to give me confidence they'll still be around in ten years. Hard to beat Omega by that metric...

-Brett

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if you're interested in some of those, you might have to directly order from seiya-san or higuchi-san.
Oops, guess I forgot to mention another important point: I have to buy the watch from Tourneau. I just realized that in my edits of my original post, I seem to have deleted that detail. Tourneau does carry Seiko, but no Rolex, Sinn, Temption, Ball, Ernst Benz, etc.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts

The SMP Chrono seems to fit your requirements.

Good luck,

Glimmer

1 - 20 of 20 Posts