WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello to everyone on this forum as I'm a new member here. I bought my 1st G' (gw2310fb-1) about 7 months ago. Needless to say I find myself an addict simply based on my first purchase. Since then I can only think of g-shocks to the point my wife thinks I'm having some kind of "problem".. It's all I've talked about since I've bought it.. When it's not on my wrist it's in my hand..just looking at it and admiring it. She says I'm "fondling" it and claims it's simply not "normal". She's becoming irritated with me while we watch t.v or movies..checking out everyone's wrist a then mentioning it(most recently, Breaking Bad). I have a long list of "wants" and modds lined up already (especially the g7800b-1 with a Maratac composite strap, I must have it!!!!) and she says "no way, 1 good watch is all you need". Still trying to figure out how to break it to her that I've been bitten for life. So what is this strange warm fuzzy feeling that makes my heart pound when checking out g-shocks??? What do I say to my wife about my strange behavior and how do I explain that I must have more? After all, is a collection worth a divorce?? Probably not, but worth a ponder because I MUST and WILL have more! I have so many questions but I'll save them for the right threads. Of course I'm joking about needing 'help' but just wanted to say hello to the g'club here and wanted to thank everyone for all the really great comments and advice, I've enjoyed them all..Thank you!!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Does she have any interests you can compare it to? (shoes, purses, etc?). Maybe before you get yourself another watch, get her one, and then she won't feel so bad if you get another one for yourself later on

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..she's a Czech and not a typical American girl who 'needs' and doesn't require much to be happy(no extra shoes, purses etc.) and thinks a $150.00 is a rather large chunk to spend on a single watch..she doesn't get it. I've offered to get her one but she thinks they look too boyish but just smaller. Sometimes I think the collectors on this forum are single and don't have to deal with wives and or partners..fills me with envy.=) Of course I love my wife and will just have to live-out my addiction through you guys!!

·
Registered
835 Posts
..she's a Czech and not a typical American girl who 'needs' and doesn't require much to be happy(no extra shoes, purses etc.) and thinks a $150.00 is a rather large chunk to spend on a single watch..she doesn't get it. I've offered to get her one but she thinks they look too boyish but just smaller. Sometimes I think the collectors on this forum are single and don't have to deal with wives and or partners..fills me with envy.=) Of course I love my wife and will just have to live-out my addiction through you guys!!
It could be a good thing that she doesn't need or want extra things, less of a hassle IMO. But yes, I happen to be single with no significant other to complain about my collection. However, have a few watches should not be a huge deal. It's not like G-Shocks cost thousands of dollars like a high end dress watch.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you showtime.. I've showed her some of your collections and she thinks your all 'sick'(in the head that is) and I keep saying that will be me someday..her reply is "maybe when I'm dead" ..she's only 34 so it will be awhile.. thanks for all your pics they're all great..I love em' all..keep em' coming!!!!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
..she's a Czech and not a typical American girl who 'needs' and doesn't require much to be happy(no extra shoes, purses etc.) and thinks a $150.00 is a rather large chunk to spend on a single watch..she doesn't get it.
Be happy... do you have any idea how hard it is to find a woman who is not materialistic and who is responsible with money? maybe I am jaded from living in Los Angeles, but I say count your blessings. Watches are just watches after all, and after a while they start to get redundant.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
seems like you can be my friend in here, we both have the same Gshock vs. wife problem

seriously the only thing to cure the addiction is leaving the forum for good, or at least not logging it

my story is: I got my first G many years ago along with other analog fashion watches, it wasn't an addiction ( i recall that I once return a just-bought G for a Seiko automatic), and then I got married and have kids, and only wear that 1st Gshock all the time (to take care of them ... watch the time to feed them, bath them, and play with them) so the wifey bought me a G as Xmas gift

something just clicked ... and I can't stop since, after like 15 Gs that I bought without her consent, she got upset mainly because my attention to her is less than Gshock and this forum, so I started hiding my buying (using my friends, track the mail and wait for the mailman) ... after like 10 more I finally got sick of hiding and stopped buying

but then I started buying resins to play with the Gs I already have ... and then she got upset again because the resins aren't cheap comparing to a whole G

and then I started dyeing resins ... and she got upset again because those Rit dye would cost alot when you add up, 4 bucks per powder pack and 8 bucks per bottle (and I have most of Rit colors avail. at Michaels)

I haven't dyed for 2 months now, but now I started playing with Photoshop as to imagine what I'd dye those resins

will see if she gets upset again

*don't get the wifey wrong, during those times, she'd help me buy resins, or dyes or give me ideas of what color, but then when I am deeply into it, she'd get upset ....*

oh, and I bought her the BAbyG Ke$ha 5600, but she hardly wears it - which makes me upset because I think it does with everything she wears these days, while she thinks it's too sporty
LOLz

Reactions: GTR83

·
Registered
550 Posts
Hello to everyone on this forum as I'm a new member here. I bought my 1st G' (gw2310fb-1) about 7 months ago. Needless to say I find myself an addict simply based on my first purchase. Since then I can only think of g-shocks to the point my wife thinks I'm having some kind of "problem".. It's all I've talked about since I've bought it.. When it's not on my wrist it's in my hand..just looking at it and admiring it. She says I'm "fondling" it and claims it's simply not "normal". She's becoming irritated with me while we watch t.v or movies..checking out everyone's wrist a then mentioning it(most recently, Breaking Bad). I have a long list of "wants" and modds lined up already (especially the 7800 series with a Maratac composite strap, I must have it!!!!) and she says "no way, 1 good watch is all you need". Still trying to figure out how to break it to her that I've been bitten for life. So what is this strange warm fuzzy feeling that makes my heart pound when checking out g-shocks??? What do I say to my wife about my strange behavior and how do I explain that I must have more? After all, is a collection worth a divorce?? Probably not, but worth a ponder because I MUST and WILL have more! I have so many questions but I'll save them for the right threads. Of course I'm joking about needing 'help' but just wanted to say hello to the g'club here and wanted to thank everyone for all the really great comments and advice, I've enjoyed them all..Thank you!!
I am 63, have a wife, two grown daughters, and perhaps 150 watches; more than half are G's, although an unfortunate number have richer blood lines. So I am an addict well and true.

First of all, a good wife is hard to find, so you should not confuse your priorities.

If she is amenable to discussion and convincing, you might start by explaining that you have no truly expensive or disgusting vices, and that this one irrational material compulsion is fairly harmless if kept in reasonable bounds, and will not force you into a life of crime or regularly selling your blood, or compromise your ability to assure her material well being. Negotiate a budget.

If you must be underhanded, then build up an inexpensive collection of G's until, eventually, they form sufficient number that you can sneak a few higher priced ones into the collection. You can get quite a few Gs, even new, atomic Gs, for less than 100 usd. Surely you can arrange to get a G or two on your birthday, anniversary, and major holidays until you have enough to be a small crowd.

Don't ask me how I know these things. I read about them in a book [cough, cough]. :)

Good luck. And don't forget that keeping your wife happy, if she is deserving of it, should be your top priority. Unless and until you have children, in which case they take on first place until grown.

Best wishes

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hello to everyone on this forum as I'm a new member here. I bought my 1st G' (gw2310fb-1) about 7 months ago. Needless to say I find myself an addict simply based on my first purchase. Since then I can only think of g-shocks to the point my wife thinks I'm having some kind of "problem".. It's all I've talked about since I've bought it.. When it's not on my wrist it's in my hand..just looking at it and admiring it. She says I'm "fondling" it and claims it's simply not "normal". She's becoming irritated with me while we watch t.v or movies..checking out everyone's wrist a then mentioning it(most recently, Breaking Bad). I have a long list of "wants" and modds lined up already (especially the 7800 series with a Maratac composite strap, I must have it!!!!) and she says "no way, 1 good watch is all you need". Still trying to figure out how to break it to her that I've been bitten for life. So what is this strange warm fuzzy feeling that makes my heart pound when checking out g-shocks??? What do I say to my wife about my strange behavior and how do I explain that I must have more? After all, is a collection worth a divorce?? Probably not, but worth a ponder because I MUST and WILL have more! I have so many questions but I'll save them for the right threads. Of course I'm joking about needing 'help' but just wanted to say hello to the g'club here and wanted to thank everyone for all the really great comments and advice, I've enjoyed them all..Thank you!!
Lemmi join you here as well... I do have the above mentioned symtoms as well, and i do agree with my wife's comments, these Gs are so additive....

I've bought 18Gs in less than 6 mths, and thinking back, that's 8k of cash dump into these watches, but with no regrets ofcos...

I still have some more Gs well hidden in the closet... Bidding time to expose them one by one... Lolx...

Lesson i learnt, no aggressive or implusive buying, so as to please our wife, and spend more time with her whenever possible, and most importantly, she's still the one you love most, even more than your mist fav G-Shock... Lolx....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.