WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please reply if you are able to help this lady out:

Hello Team,
I hope that you can give me some advice, and I was not sure that a forum-post was an appropriate approach for this question. I found your website while I was trying to locate photographs and values of various collectible watches.

My deceased father left his mid-1950’s vintage Breitling watch to me and it was stolen in a burglary last Thursday near San Diego, CA. (There was also a 1945 Patek Philiippe Calatrava, and an early 1900’s Hamilton rectangular face/leather band stolen, but they do not have the same sentimental value). Is there any way that your website/team members could help me locate them, if they are placed for sale on the internet (or elsewhere), since they are collector’s pieces? The Breitling is a very sentimental piece for me as my dad died on my birthday in 1992.

The Breitling watch is a mid-50’s rose gold Transocean Chronograph on a leather band. The watch still runs well and my husband has loved wearing it occasionally. I am not aware of any engraving that would specifically identify it.

My father was a US Air Force B-17 pilot in WWII, flying out of England in 1943 and continued his military career instructing and flying in Alaska in the 50’s and then at the Pentagon in Air Research and Development with a specialty in cold-weather operations. He retired as a highly-decorated full Colonel in 1968, I feel I owe it to his memory to get the watch back. Flying and competitive sailing were his lifelong passions. Pilots and sailors have always had each other’s backs and are a very tight community.

I would be so appreciative if there is any advice you can provide (even just a quick email to say there is nothing you can do) although and photos and an estimate of the current value of the watches would at least allow me to file an accurate report. Of course, the local Sheriff Department is working on this but I felt that people with a deeper understanding and love of these timepieces might be of more help.

With sincerest thanks,
Katharine Issa

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
50's Breitling Transocean, 40's PP 'Trava, early Hamilton. Roger. For what it is worth, I'll keep my eyes open. I despise thieves. My gut says she needs to keep her eyes open on used watch sales locations IVO Miramar.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
If she has a pic of it, she can google images and everything that looks like that watch/pic will come up. if its vintage there can't be that many for sale. Long shot but worth it.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I will keep my eyes open on the internet based auction houses I visit.
It would help if she posted pictures ( taken from the Internet) of the watches in question.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Get an estimated value from a reputable jeweler since it's likely that the value may constitute Grand Theft. THEN, Immediately notify: Non~local police and every pawn shop within 50 miles, send pics if you can or source them via internet search so everyone knows what they look like. Notify every type of business that buys goods for cash and every jewelry store in nearby surrounding towns. If you know anybody that is an Internet whiz or a Search Engine Optimizer, enlist their help in getting out the word. Offer a $500.00 reward for information that leads to recovery & arrest. Check craigslist frequently and make sure you have the detective's phone number who was assigned this case HANDY! Best of luck in your efforts.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Local law enforcement will have access to pawnbroker's transactions in their jurisdiction via a monthly report but the owner should have her theft report forwarded to surrounding departments because that is typically not done automatically.

Thieves suck. I hope she recovers her property.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts