WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So been shopping for a watch for my wife and she causally says I have this old watch I've had for years do you want to see it?

It's a Dione watch but it is in like a compact case. IOW it opens like a clamshell. 25 years we've been together I have never seen this watch.

So I am seeking any info I can get on it from you guys. Thanks.

dione1.jpg
dione2.jpg
dione3.jpg
dione4.jpg

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Looks like a typical AS 340ish movement to me. I don't think it matters what the dial says on these. I've seen that movement with anywhere from 6 jewels to 16. They are usually from the 1920s.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,258 Posts
When perusing Mikrolisk, I get a few hits for "Dione" and two of them are for Adolf Schwob or Schwob Freres, once in New York (probably a subsidiary) and once in La Chaux de Fonds. Schwob Freres were the owners of Cyma (also Tavannes, also Tacy). For "S.W.C.Co." (on the case), I get the Solidarity Watch Case Co. in New York. It is therefore my guess - even though it would require confirmation - that this watch was made by Adolf Schwob's subsidiary in NY using an imported Swiss movement and a US made case.

bidfun-db Archiv: Uhrwerke: AS 340

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Watchmaker confirmed AS 340 but has no clue on the case. He dates it to mid 1920's. Movement had a broken mainspring so it is being repaired. I figure anything that makes it 90 years deserves a little love.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts