WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I recently had this pocket watch in for service, and the owner would like to know a little more about it, as it is a family heirloom.

It is a Thomas Russell and Sons watch, 15 jewels, and looks to be an English made movement but cased up in a WP&Co case. (Wheeler Parsons and Co, New York). The movement is made and finished like a high grade english lever watch, but with the escapement arranged as per an early American lever. ie, the escape wheel at right angles to the line of the lever and balance. Also, the escape wheel is a club tooth type, as one would see in an early American 18s Elgin or Waltham. The pallets are typical of english watches of the era, the pallet jewels being fully inset into the pallets and beautifully finished. It is a going barrel type, with stop work on the barrel (though the stopwork parts have been removed at some stage, or never fitted). All in all a very nice watch of well above average build quality.

Your thoughts would be most appreciated,

Thanks,
Regards, Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
I have nothing of worth to contribute, except to say that this is a beautiful timepiece, and well worth being a family heirloom!!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Here's what I was trying to type. Still on a phone but not in a moving car :)

First of all, that is a beautiful watch! I was wondering how you know it was retailed by Thomas Russell? There is nothing on the dial and I don't see anything on the movement. The style of the movement appears Swiss, or even German to me.

Secondly, this type of 'side' lever arrangement with a ratchet tooth escape wheel is a typical English feature from roughly the mid to late 19th century. Some late English side levers had a club foot escape wheel. The Americans, and even the Swiss, used it before the inline, anchor arrangement became popular.

Kind regards

Aditya.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts