WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen/heard of W.R. Haselwood? I have this old watch and can't seem to find anything in terms of manufacture. Only what is printed on dial and cut into the movement, which can be seen in the photos. I have pulled some old articles circa 1893 with this name in relation to jewelry, but nothing else. Any help is appreciated. 馃憤

Attachments

Registered
A nice quality watch. Note that it is a "Getty" style movement named after the designer, Fred I. Getty. The main feature is the large ratchet wheel being the only winding wheel visible. The crown wheel arrangement is concealed under the barrel bridge which lends these movements a very distinctive look. Illinois made a fair variety of Getty movement models ranging from lower to higher jeweled and in various bridge designs and finishes. Illinois also made a heck of a lot of watches/movements for private labels and mail order sellers.

Here's a similar movement, a 1905 Model 5 Grade 184 with the same style of wavy damascening but with a 3-finger cock design, in an Illinois labelled watch I have. The dial styles are much the same, with distinctive gothic Illinois numerals.

illinois_getty_1905_dual1.jpg

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the information. The crown needs repair, as I am unable to wind or set the time. The movement does work as I was able manually turn the ratchet. I look forward to getting it back to 100%. Cheers

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Registered
I appreciate the information. The crown needs repair, as I am unable to wind or set the time. The movement does work as I was able manually turn the ratchet. I look forward to getting it back to 100%. Cheers

Are you aware this is a lever-set movement? You should be able to wind the watch with the crown (so something may well be amiss there), but to set the time you need to unscrew and remove the front bezel, pull out the small lever at the 1:30 position which engages the hand setting mechanism, set the time with the crown, push the lever back in and then replace the bezel.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
Are you aware this is a lever-set movement? You should be able to wind the watch with the crown (so something may well be amiss there), but to set the time you need to unscrew and remove the front bezel, pull out the small lever at the 1:30 position which engages the hand setting mechanism, set the time with the crown, push the lever back in and then replace the bezel.
I was not aware. I am ignorant with regards to pocket watches. Thank you though. I have the time set now however, I believe there is an issue with winding. The crown set the time perfectly but will not engage the ratchet. I will have a local watchmaker take a look at it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts