WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay watch ninjas, I am looking for a manual wind - not automatic - with an exhibition back, I prefer 40mm or less, my budget is under $400. I like the face of the Cherwell by the Marloe Watch Co., but I find the movement visible through the back too busy. Love the view of the Nomos hand winds and the Glashutte Men's Sixties hand wind.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks!

Nicky

·
Premium Member
9,576 Posts
Yeah, it's gonna be very tough. $400 mechanical is largely the territory of Seiko NH3x and 4R, and Miyota 82xx...which are autos.

Check Christopher Ward's sales, tho. Malvern Slimline is a Sellita handwound. Might be in your budget, might be close enough that you can stretch. Might all be gone.......but hey, can't hurt to look.

The ETA 280x movements are handwound, too...so check Hamilton. WatchBase is showing some Khaki Field use these.

·
Registered
320 Posts
The Hamilton Field Mechanical is a great option for a cheap hand-wound, but alas it does not have a display back.

The Seagull ST-19 is a hand-wound chronograph that's really pretty to look at:

(pic stolen from the web)

The one above is a Seagull 1963, which is within your budget. Beware, though, that these movements have had quality issues. :/

Finally, the Poljot 3133 is another hand-wound chrono that's a treat to look at, but they are getting harder to find as I guess they've stopped making them.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you don't mind Asian movements you should check out Wilk Watch Works. E.g.:

Or Tisell:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Tough to beat the Sea-Gull 1963 (mentioned above) in your price range.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Yes seagull 1963 (pic of my panda below). You can get it for around $200, it wears quite nicely and looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have been looking at the 1963, it is definitely in the running. Thanks for the tip about Wilk Watchworks - I had not heard of them before!

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Yeah, it's gonna be very tough. $400 mechanical is largely the territory of Seiko NH3x and 4R, and Miyota 82xx...which are autos.

Check Christopher Ward's sales, tho. Malvern Slimline is a Sellita handwound. Might be in your budget, might be close enough that you can stretch. Might all be gone.......but hey, can't hurt to look.

The ETA 280x movements are handwound, too...so check Hamilton. WatchBase is showing some Khaki Field use these.
Good call on the CW Slimline. I recently picked one up and it is a real beauty. It was only $315 during the most recent sale!

Reactions: Carrera997

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Another vote for the Christopher Ward C5 Malvern Slimline. It was on sale earlier this year, I procrastinated and missed it. Then it came on sale again and I snagged one. I'm quite pleased with it.

It looks even better in person.

The blue really changes depending on the light.

This one has a Sellita SW210, I believe—their version of the ETA 2801-2. 4 Hz which is nice. The hands are nicely done, especially the proportions. As you can see, the seconds hand reaches all the way out, and when the minute hand is directly on a marker, it looks as if it continues into the marker as one piece.

Strap is a deployant and quite comfortable. I find it a great value at its sale price of $315 USD and would highly recommend one, especially if no-date appeals to you along with the hand-winding.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I have been looking at the 1963, it is definitely in the running. Thanks for the tip about Wilk Watchworks - I had not heard of them before!
Scott is great to deal with. I went with a Swiss movement and custom hands so it is out of your budget, but his basic watches should come close to what you want to spend.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts