WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello forum,

I was trying to ID this watch that was my grandfather's or great-grandfather's. It is in an ornate silver case, on the face it has a locomotive in the middle and says "SEELAND". Beneath the hands it says I believe "17 Jewels", though I am not positive that is exactly what it says.

On the back of the case, there is an engraving of the same locomotive. I will try to put up some pictures here soon. I have not been able to find anything similar to this pocket watch online, so I just wondered if it sounded familiar to anyone? I know it is over 50 years old. Thanks so much and I will get some photos up. It's dirty and I was not sure if it is worth having it cleaned, keeps perfect time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It could be a promotional pocket watch from the shipping company "Seeland" but i can't be sure. Thats the only Seeland i know of. Many other people here might know more.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I did some googling, and some references to Invicta and IWC turned up, going back as far as late 19th century. The name itself seems to be a surname, with several different people using it over the years.

In short, we'd really need to see the watch to know what we're dealing with. I tend to be leery of anything that has a picture of a train on the dial; most of them turn out to be very low grade movements.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have one "Seeland" pocket watch myself,but not in good shape.I think that I found somewhere info that this was German brand,but I cant be sure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you very much everyone!

The locomotive seems to be a steam locomotive, or so I was told. I will take some photos this afternoon and see what everyone thinks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some photos of the Seeland pocket watch. Also took some of an older link pocket watch chain that I thought was pretty neat.

Attachments

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,146 Posts
For a final assessment, one would need to see the movement. However, it is definitely 20th century (as indicated by the fact that it is not pin set but has a crown) and should be post WWII (since it has 17 jewels - and indicates this on the dial).

Hartmut Richter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts