WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Seiko 5 Automatic SNXS79 vs. SNXS79K

50K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  bk201 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I am interested in purchasing a Seiko 5 automatic, and from some of these pages it appears that the SNXS79 isquite popular and affordable, and its 7s26 movement is well regarded.
When searching to purchase one online, some retailers list the watch with the model number SNXS79K, as opposed to the SNXS79.

What is the difference between these 2 models?

Thank you.

#2 ·
From Amazon UK:

Seiko SNXS79:
Brand NameSeiko
Model numberSNXS79
Part NumberSNXS79
Item ShapeRound
Dial Window Material TypeSapphire Crystal
Display Typeanalogue
Clasp TypeFold Over Clasp
Case MaterialStainless Steel
Case Diameter37 millimetres
Case Thickness12 millimetres
Band MaterialStainless Steel
Band LengthMens Standard
Band ColourSilver
Dial Colourblack
Special FeaturesDay/Date Display
Weight5 grams
MovementAutomatic
Warranty Type2 Year Manufacturers Guarantee
That 5 gram weight looks suspiciously incorrect.
Sapphire instead of hardlex? And 1mm smaller diameter?
Is that the only difference?

Seiko SNXS79K

Brand NameSeiko
Model numberSNXS79K
Part NumberSNXS79K
Model Year2013
Item ShapeRound
Dial Window Material TypeHardlex
Display TypeAnalogue
Clasp Typefold-over-clasp
Case MaterialStainless steel
Case Diameter38 millimetres
Case Thickness12 millimetres
Band MaterialStainless Steel
Band Lengthmens-standard
Band Width16 millimetres
Band ColourSilver
Dial Colourblack
Bezel MaterialStainless Steel
CalendarDay and Date
Special FeaturesMeasures seconds, luminous
Weight86 grams
MovementAutomatic
Warranty TypeManufacturer

#3 ·
It could be markets too. Citizen does this all the time. Add on extra letters or change the numbers of models that look the same but sold in different countries (marketplaces).

Most often the high quality materials like Sapphire Crystal and Engraved Caseback and Crowns are sold close to home in Japan/Asia and the cheaper materials like hardlex and mineral crystals are boxed and bound for North American and Western European markets.

#4 ·
That sounds like a legitimate reason and a likely explaination for the numbers, except, I am confused by the 1mm difference in size.
Why would they produce a 1mm diameter smaller watch case for another market.

Can any seiko 5 owners shed some light?

#5 ·
It is my understanding that you might see five variations in the model number for any modern Seiko 5.

SNXS79 - the generic model number
SNXS79K or SNXS79K1 - the made in Malaysia version of the model
SNXS79J or SNXS79J1 - the made in Japan version of the model - identical except for saying "Made in Japan" on the dial

A few models also have K2 and/or J2 versions which come with a different band.

If I'm mistaken then I'll need to update the blurb at the bottom of the page for most models on my Seiko 5 Finder site. I've found the dimensions are often incorrect on Amazon which is one of the reasons I started my site - to try and fix the errors as best as I can.

#6 ·
Your website is a great wealth of information. But your site states that the watch has hardlex crystal (across all versions, including the K and J models), whereas amazon states that the K version has sapphire crystal. Confusing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.