WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
after purchasing my seiko SKZ247 a few weeks ago, I'm so impressed with that thing, that all of a sudden (what a coincidence :-d ) I feel the urge to buy another seiko 5. this time it will be a military model, I just can't decide if I like the one with black dial and black strap better....:

...or the one with olive dial and olive strap...:

getting both is not an option right now, because I don't know if I will like the size of this time-piece, usually I prefer larger sized watches. I also do usually prefer watches with a rotatable bezel...

well, should I like the size, I will most probably get both anyway, the question right now is just which one to buy first :-s

so guys what do you think? I'm happy to read your opinions...

regards, holger

·
Registered
57 Posts
Just to muddy the waters a little more, her are a few more options.

Left to right SNK809K1, SNK803K2, SNK807K2, SNK805K1, SNK811J (LUMIBRITE DIAL)

While the case is only 37mm, it is very easy to read with a 30mm crystal. The skx009 has a s 31mm crystal. So the actual dial is about the same size.

You may also want to buy the model with the bracelet. I've been unable to find the bracelet sold separately but the nylon straps are available. Personally, I like the blasted finish of the bracelet and it is a constant 18mm width.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Holger, I'd go with the green/olive over the black if limited to the two in your list. You've already got the black covered with the SKZ :).

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@ chrise2496,

quite a nice collection you've got there, though the blue and khaki/beige dials are not for me. may I ask what is YOUR favorite out of the five?

@ topher,

you are right, I will probably go with the green/olive one, though I wish there was a black date window option for this one. the dial seems to be rather subdued green which will probably look even better in the flesh than in pictures.

@ isthmus,

great idea to put the dial in a bigger case. I will see how I like the watch size and if further mods are necessary.

regards, holger

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The design of the dial strongly recalls the German B-Uhr watches of WWII, which were black. With that in mind, it seems only natural to me to get the black one. Plus, the black one has a black day and date wheel which to my eye adds a lot.

If you're not wedded to that dial design, there are plenty of other military-ish seiko 5s, many of which are larger and have a rotatable bezel. Add in the possibility of modding and your choices are simply staggering. 10watches.com has some great examples, as does bobthayerjr.com.

·
Registered
57 Posts
@ chrise2496,

quite a nice collection you've got there, though the blue and khaki/beige dials are not for me. may I ask what is YOUR favorite out of the five?
My favorite is the full lume. It glows very well and is a somewhat neutral colour the rest of the time. The bracelet is also very nice, the larger links and constant width look good to me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
While all are very beautiful watches, I would go with the black one in the first picture.If I ever find one locally to see how it fits,I would buy a black one.After all black goes with everything.
Best of luck with your purchase.:-!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have the black one and I love it! I can't comment on the others though. Enjoy which ever you choose!

·
Banned
383 Posts
well i have the black one and it is to small spends all of its time in the bottom drawer of my watch box. i never tought of it before but next to it is a donor skx007 with dead movement... thanks for the idea isthmus

·
Registered
9 Posts
If the size is an issue, don't forget that you could always build your own in a bigger case. I did that with my Night Flyer:

New member here, I have this watch in blue and haven't stopped wearing it.

Isthmus - LOVE the mod - can you provide with some detailed instructions? I'd buy another in black and complete a similar mod. Looks like it adds some heft to this rather light watch.

·
Banned
8,920 Posts
Hey Alpha-Getty,
What model is that first pic you posted? That thing is SWEET!

thanks,
ScurvyLubber
This one? ...

As you can see from the hang tag it's an SKX243 and was produced from around 1996. Mine is from 1997 and I was told it may have been a Asian market watch.
This is what it looks like a t night...

It's a great little watch and I enjoy wearing it :-!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Oh yeah that's a nice one. I've have never yet owned a fiull lume dial watch and want to get one eventually. This one is a real keeper. A quick look on line makes it look like this one would be hard to find nowadays. I've never been able to figure out if Seiko uses anything specific to reference full lume dials in the model numbers. Got any search tips for an admirer?
ScurvyLubber

·
Banned
8,920 Posts
Oh yeah that's a nice one. I've have never yet owned a fiull lume dial watch and want to get one eventually. This one is a real keeper. A quick look on line makes it look like this one would be hard to find nowadays. I've never been able to figure out if Seiko uses anything specific to reference full lume dials in the model numbers. Got any search tips for an admirer?
ScurvyLubber
While it isn't obvious and doesn't always hold true across model lines, the number; in this case '243'; indicates the dial. So a black dial might be a '239' and a blue dial might be a '241' and so on.

This is the only one I have ever seen. I don't know how long it was made nor how many or what markets it was released into.
You can search on SKX243 or 7S26-6040, which is the case number.

·
Registered
8,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I like bracelets, but for a military style watch (or an outdoor watch for that matter), I would always prefer a resin, nylon, rubber strap ect. so to answer your question - clearly the nylon strap in this case.

regards, holger

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.