WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just before I commit to buying my first half proper watch I would like to get the learned forum members opinion on if a Seiko SNZG13 is the best way to go (I can currently get one for around $110US)

41fLQCvMRtL.jpg (borrowed image from Amazon)

I am looking for a watch that can be used wet, looks good in the office and fine on the weekend (an all rounder)

I also like the military look and lume.

Open to suggestions, or would this be the pick

THANKS!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have this watch on a NATO strap and think it is a great casual/work watch.
It has a quite sporty look to it, even on the steel bracelet, so bear that in mind.
It depends on your office, I know people who wear G-shocks with a suit so why not.
The lume is very impressive when charged but does not last long.

In terms of suggestions, my all rounder is an Orient "Ray" but the Orient "Mako" is cheaper and probably a little more formal. Also better when wet, I have worn mine snorkeling and holiday SCUBA without hassle.

SNZG.jpg RAY.jpg Excuse the poor photos.

·
Registered
6,160 Posts
You can't really go wrong with Seiko, assuming you like the particular watch. They are a great value for the money, and produce watches at many price points.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
As an office wear, the brushed stainless steel body and bracelet is a good and conservative choice to go. It can be used wet, no problem with swimming in pool height of 2m, good lume. Price wise, perhaps you might be able to find some other retailer that may give you a little more discount? Maybe like less than 110USD? If you add some more to the figure you've listed, you could get...

SNZG17

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm new to the watch hobby myself and this was the first "real" watch I purchased and love it. It came with a canvas strap which I replaced with a leather NATO which will replaced with a nice leather strap for my vacations and/or when I return back to the US. Not ever having a proper watch before, I enjoy the solid feel and heft of the watch and I also like the black military look.

I lucked out and picked mine up on Ashford for $79.00 when it was on sale, but it would be worth every penny of the $110.00.

Good luck on you decision!!!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Go check out Ashford, they have it for like $79 after you apply the discount. Check the "latest deals pt2" thread for it. Ashford typically has this sale every now and again, and I think the coupon is only good for a week or so, but they have the sale on it often enough.

As for alternatives, for $110 quite a few Seiko 5's are out there, you could also check out modified Seikos from Yobokies, even a used Monster or so can be found in the classifieds (007's, Black monster, orange monster, neo monster etc...) But that's what is suggested most of the time so...yeah....

There is also the Vostok Amphibia. I would do a bit of research and see which ones call out to you, but for myself, I would go for the Ministry case Amphibia with the new bezel from Chistopolcity and pick up a nice Nato or Zulu from cheapestnatostraps.com since the Ministry case has a lug width of 22mm. 710144d1337170507-my-vostok-amphibia-saga-final-chapter-now-revenge-scuba-dude-vostok_black_dive.jpg

Lastly, for about $20 more, and if you don't mind digital, I highly recommend the GDF100-BB. It's a beast but the basic black scheme of it just makes it look all the more menacing. GDF-100BB-1.jpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm new to the watch hobby myself and this was the first "real" watch I purchased and love it. It came with a canvas strap which I replaced with a leather NATO which will replaced with a nice leather strap for my vacations and/or when I return back to the US. Not ever having a proper watch before, I enjoy the solid feel and heft of the watch and I also like the black military look.

I lucked out and picked mine up on Ashford for $79.00 when it was on sale, but it would be worth every penny of the $110.00.

Good luck on you decision!!!
I never thought of putting this watch on leather, out would give it a real vintage flyer look.

I'll check out Ashford and hopefully save $30 Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Go check out Ashford, they have it for like $79 after you apply the discount. Check the "latest deals pt2" thread for it. Ashford typically has this sale every now and again, and I think the coupon is only good for a week or so, but they have the sale on it often enough.

As for alternatives, for $110 quite a few Seiko 5's are out there, you could also check out modified Seikos from Yobokies, even a used Monster or so can be found in the classifieds (007's, Black monster, orange monster, neo monster etc...) But that's what is suggested most of the time so...yeah....

There is also the Vostok Amphibia. I would do a bit of research and see which ones call out to you, but for myself, I would go for the Ministry case Amphibia with the new bezel from Chistopolcity and pick up a nice Nato or Zulu from cheapestnatostraps.com since the Ministry case has a lug width of 22mm.

Lastly, for about $20 more, and if you don't mind digital, I highly recommend the GDF100-BB. It's a beast but the basic black scheme of it just makes it look all the more menacing.
Burrito, I have had a look at the Vostoks some look very nice, my only hesitation would be after sales service (I haven't seen A Vostok dealer in Australia). With Seiko pretty much every jeweller sells them.

Thanks for the Ashford tip, though it looks like I missed the boat. Though I'm going to ask them if they could do a special deal anyway ;-)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
By the way, how does Ashford release their codes? Do they email them in a newsletter to subscribers, or post to Facebook, or just release them to the coupon deal websites?

I would like to know when/if they choose to have the deal again I won't miss the boat.

Thanks

·
Banned
197 Posts
Hey, still it's a great value nonetheless. Get one if you can. I have one myself and I have no regrets.

I wear it on Nato or Maratac bands most days. Looks good on many straps or on bracelet. I got one for my brother's birthday and he loved it.

Here's one member's really good review on the SNZG13

https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/my-new-seiko-5-military-=-640370.html

Someone mentioned Amphibia and even though I have one one the way, I wouldn't recommend it as your first 'half proper' watch. Maybe a second piece if you really want to try and wear it on social occasion.
VOSTOK RUSSIAN AUTO AMPHIBIAN TANK WATCH #2200f NEW | eBay
But still, I don't know if a tank and the RED star would be appropriate on work or social occasions. The Seiko is much more versatile.

I know you're budget conscious like most people but since you're looking for a first watch and probably only watch for a while... How about spending little more for something with a bit more quality? I don't know how old you are but if you're 28+ years old, I would say it's time you get more decent watch. I have SNZG13 but personally I don't like the white "plastic-y" looking hands. I think it makes the watch look cheap... Since you work in a office and probably have some money unless you're heavily in debt, how about spend mid $300 and get a Hamilton Khaki Field 42mm? I have a 38mm and it fits me really nice also. If you have less than 7" wrist size, go for 38mm but if you're big, semi-big guy, go for 42mm one. It looks and feels more quality. Don't get me wrong, the SNZG13 is a keeper for me but sometimes I do feel it's a bit bulky on my wrist but Hamilton Khaki Field is SO Thin!!! It just wears effortlessly. The sapphire crystal is ever slightly curved and just screams quality while SNZG13 is a rugged performing tool like piece. I also like the precise needle ends of the minute and second hands and the increments in between the minute markers rather than Seiko's simple minute markers.
632797d1329862658-help-me-select-my-first-automatch-watch-hammy_seiko_01.jpg
Amazon.com: Hamilton Men's H70555533 Khaki Field Black Dial Watch: Hamilton: Watches

These are mine. I felt having two black dial would be redundant and I was right!
IMG_6740_s.jpg IMG_6622_s.jpg

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey, still it's a great value nonetheless. Get one if you can. I have one myself and I have no regrets.

I wear it on Nato or Maratac bands most days. Looks good on many straps or on bracelet. I got one for my brother's birthday and he loved it.

Here's one member's really good review on the SNZG13

https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/my-new-seiko-5-military-%3D-640370.html

Someone mentioned Amphibia and even though I have one one the way, I wouldn't recommend it as your first 'half proper' watch. Maybe a second piece if you really want to try and wear it on social occasion.
VOSTOK RUSSIAN AUTO AMPHIBIAN TANK WATCH #2200f NEW | eBay
But still, I don't know if a tank and the RED star would be appropriate on work or social occasions. The Seiko is much more versatile.

I know you're budget conscious like most people but since you're looking for a first watch and probably only watch for a while... How about spending little more for something with a bit more quality? I don't know how old you are but if you're 28+ years old, I would say it's time you get more decent watch. I have SNZG13 but personally I don't like the white "plastic-y" looking hands. I think it makes the watch look cheap... Since you work in a office and probably have some money unless you're heavily in debt, how about spend mid $300 and get a Hamilton Khaki Field 42mm? I have a 38mm and it fits me really nice also. If you have less than 7" wrist size, go for 38mm but if you're big, semi-big guy, go for 42mm one. It looks and feels more quality. Don't get me wrong, the SNZG13 is a keeper for me but sometimes I do feel it's a bit bulky on my wrist but Hamilton Khaki Field is SO Thin!!! It just wears effortlessly. The sapphire crystal is ever slightly curved and just screams quality while SNZG13 is a rugged performing tool like piece. I also like the precise needle ends of the minute and second hands and the increments in between the minute markers rather than Seiko's simple minute markers.

Amazon.com: Hamilton Men's H70555533 Khaki Field Black Dial Watch: Hamilton: Watches

These are mine. I felt having two black dial would be redundant and I was right!
ashirian, those Hamiltons look like sweet watches. I like the long second hand, and the second increments. Very retro. Though the banded face also makes it look modern at the same time.

My inner cheap skate would over rule and I'd keep thinking - hey I could get 3 different watches for the price of one good one.

A question though, how do they wear on a slimmer wrist - I just measured 17cm (6.7")

·
Banned
197 Posts
Yeah, good question. First of all. I used to think the same way. I was like $300? I can get a chinese homage for $100, Seiko 5 for $100, and something cool or different for $100. So at one point I cumulated about 8 watches that are sub $100. Then it hit me. I only have one wrist and I can wear one at a time. Then I started to see all the flaws of chinese homage. The rattling sound of rotor and thin metal but thick cases. The Seiko 5's flimsy bracelet (The Seiko SNZG13 has much better and solid bracelet tho) and no hacking or hand winding function. And the different/quirky watches weirdness.... etc.

So yeah, I ended up selling all of them and with the money I raised, I got my first nice piece which was Hamilton Khaki Field. I also have slimmer wrist right around your size maybe tad bit slimmer even at ~6.5". It fits really nice on me. I used to like 42mm but the 38mm is perfect. The longer lug size makes the watch very wearable and fitting to my wrist. It's very thin and low profile yet oozes quality. The ETA Swiss made movement keeps time accurately and consistently at around +5~9 seconds per day. After all that hassle I realized I'd rather have one well made piece than three kind of decently made one that you may later realize all the flaws.

Plus, Hamilton is now under Swiss company but has a history of being American watch company so there's some heritage of owning it.

Here's an old video if you're interested.
Watch Movements: "How a Watch Works" 1949 Hamilton Watch Co 20min - YouTube

ashirian, those Hamiltons look like sweet watches. I like the long second hand, and the second increments. Very retro. Though the banded face also makes it look modern at the same time.

My inner cheap skate would over rule and I'd keep thinking - hey I could get 3 different watches for the price of one good one.

A question though, how do they wear on a slimmer wrist - I just measured 17cm (6.7")

1 - 16 of 16 Posts